Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #871
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I came across some interesting behaviour. It doesn't seem to be problematic, but I'm reporting it just in case (and because I'm wondering what's going on):

I use a single reading list with "replace device with list, add new items only."

I have several virtual libraries. Half of the books on my list are viewable in the "Default" VL and the other half are in the "Fanfiction" VL. (I used to have a separate list for each VL, but it caused replacing issues described earlier in this thread.)

When I finish reading a book, I remove it from the list, add a new book to replace its spot, and then sync the list to my eReader. However, if I'm currently viewing of my VLs, it also re-uploads every single book from the other VL as well as the new book. (Interestingly, the re-upload doesn't affect the reading place on my eReader, though that may be because of Kobo Utilities.)

The solution is a pretty simple one, just switch to "all books" before syncing. I'm mostly just curious as to why exactly it happens.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 07-20-2020 at 04:48 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:32 PM   #872
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
RL predates the virtual library feature, and in order to 'just work', VLs are applied to searches by default.

It seems probable that adding use_virtual_library=False to the sync search will prevent the behavior you see:
Code:
# Change action.py:1031
# from:
        on_device_ids = set(db.search_getting_ids('ondevice:True'))
# to:
        on_device_ids = set(db.search_getting_ids('ondevice:True', None, use_virtual_library=False))
However, you are using a feature ("replace device with list, add new items only") I not only don't use, I don't know how it's meant to work exactly and I don't have the energy right now to figure out it. (In my set-up, using 'Add/overwrite all list items to device' lists, that search result is ignored, so I don't see an issue with VL.)

Here's a test version with that change, but I haven't tested that change in detail.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 08-08-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete test version
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #873
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tested it. It works as intended. Thank you.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:55 PM   #874
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Another question: I use Kobo Utilities to automatically fetch my last-read date from the device to update that column.

My current process is finish reading book on device > remove finished book from reading list > add new book to reading list > connect Kobo to computer > let Kobo Utilities auto-update the custom columns > manually sync "replace with device" list, which removes old books and adds new books to device.

If I select "sync to this device as soon as it's connected," (autoSync) in Reading List options is there any way to ensure that the Kobo Utilities column update runs before the old books get deleted from the device?

If this question is better asked over in the Kobo Utilities thread I can ask there.

Thanks.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 07-24-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #875
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If this question is better asked over in the Kobo Utilities thread I can ask there.
↑ This. If you're asking me, at least; I know nothing about Kobo Utilities.
Advert
Old 07-25-2020, 05:42 AM   #876
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Another question: I use Kobo Utilities to automatically fetch my last-read date from the device to update that column.

My current process is finish reading book on device > remove finished book from reading list > add new book to reading list > connect Kobo to computer > let Kobo Utilities auto-update the custom columns > manually sync "replace with device" list, which removes old books and adds new books to device.

If I select "sync to this device as soon as it's connected," (autoSync) in Reading List options is there any way to ensure that the Kobo Utilities column update runs before the old books get deleted from the device?

Thanks.
The only guaranteed solution is to add in a delay to Reading list's autosync. That would give Kobo Utilities time to run. before Reading List syncs.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:02 AM   #877
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

I don't believe there is a way to control this. Both plugins are waiting for a signal from calibre that there is a device connected and ready. I don't believe there is a way to control which plugin gets it first. It is probably whichever is "registered" first. And I don't know of a way to determine that. I haven't really been paying attention to it recently, but, I'm pretty sure that which of the Reading List or Kobo Utilities gets the signal first, can be different each time I connect the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #878
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Thanks for answering here, I was about to crosspost it over in the Kobo Utilities thread.

I'll just keep manually syncing the reading list.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:03 PM   #879
thegameksk
Enthusiast
thegameksk began at the beginning.

Device: Moon+
I have my Calibre library saved on my E drive. Calibre is on my C drive and its pointed to my library in E drive. When I sync my reading list to my SD card in my cell phone my disc space on C goes down. Why is this happening? How do I reclaim my space?

Also is it possible to backup reading lists? If so what do I do? Thanks.
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #880
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

I don't know of any direct Reading List activity would affect size on another drive.

However, Calibre does create a temporary file for each ebook sent to a device. I would speculate that what you're seeing is the space used by temporary files. Calibre deletes it's temp files when you exit Calibre, if not before; but it can leave temp files if Calibre crashes or is killed.

You can use the CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR environment variable to change where Calibre puts it's temp files. See Customizing calibre.

Reading List stores the lists in the library database, which is in the library directory. Backing up the library directory will also backup Reading List settings and lists.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:44 PM   #881
thegameksk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I don't know of any direct Reading List activity would affect size on another drive.

However, Calibre does create a temporary file for each ebook sent to a device. I would speculate that what you're seeing is the space used by temporary files. Calibre deletes it's temp files when you exit Calibre, if not before; but it can leave temp files if Calibre crashes or is killed.

You can use the CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR environment variable to change where Calibre puts it's temp files. See Customizing calibre.

Reading List stores the lists in the library database, which is in the library directory. Backing up the library directory will also backup Reading List settings and lists.
I keep getting a general connection error via wifi. Nothing I do fixes it. It says connection closed. I have a samsung phone.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:51 PM   #882
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegameksk View Post
I keep getting a general connection error via wifi. Nothing I do fixes it. It says connection closed. I have a samsung phone.
I assume this is unrelated to your previous questions.

If you're using WiFi, I also assume you're using Calibre Companion. Do you get the same error sending books manually without syncing Reading List?

Regardless, You'll probably have better luck looking the Calibre Companion subforums.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #883
thegameksk
Enthusiast

Quote:
I assume this is unrelated to your previous questions.

If you're using WiFi, I also assume you're using Calibre Companion. Do you get the same error sending books manually without syncing Reading List?

Regardless, You'll probably have better luck looking the Calibre Companion subforums.
The error comes and goes. Now I keep getting it no matter what I do manually or via playlist. Is there no way to sync via USB for reading lists?
Old 08-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #884
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegameksk View Post
The error comes and goes. Now I keep getting it no matter what I do manually or via playlist. Is there no way to sync via USB for reading lists?
Not to Calibre Companion that I'm aware of.

If you're getting the problem when sending books manually, it's not Reading List.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:23 AM   #885
thegameksk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Not to Calibre Companion that I'm aware of.

If you're getting the problem when sending books manually, it's not Reading List.
Updating Calibre seems to have fixed that but now I get a message on Calibre telling me I have no more free space in memory. I have free space in both my main memory on phone and my SD card where I am sending books too.