Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-07-2024, 05:16 PM   #1
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
How I Declutter My Main Menu

I was asked how I manage my plugins and menus. The person is new, and their menu has been over run by icons. I have attached 2 images.

1. The first image shows the plugins/menu items I have attached to the right click (or "Context Menu") on a book menu. These items usually apply to single books. You can configure this via Preferences - Toolbars & Menus.

2. The second image shows the menu I configured via the Favourites plugin. Most items here most often apply to libraries or multiple books.

There are countless ways to arrange your menus. To keep my main menu decluttered, I chose to arrange items as shown in the two menus attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre right click on book menu.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	205657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Favourites plugin menu as I have it configured.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	205658  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-07-2024 at 05:22 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 05:43 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I keep exactly as many items on the main menu as I can fit on the toolbar without running to a second line, because the main menu is the easiest and quickest way for me to access something (I hate keyboard shortcuts). For the rest I use the Favorites plugin and a handful of items are on the context menu (I hate cluttered context menus far more than cluttered toolbars).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 01:39 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My version of minimal clutter calibre:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-08 172916.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	205665

I would prefer not to have that toolbar with its no-icon Preferences. I never use it from there, I either press Ctrl+P or use it from the book list context menu.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-08-2024 at 01:43 AM. Reason: wrong screenshot
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:59 AM   #4
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
I use action-chains, but when I need manual intervention, the toolbar is grouped in stages:
  • ingest: extract isbn, edit meta, polish, embed
  • review: find, quality, duplicates
  • read: history, column views, sync, reading lists*
    *with the most common placed under the Favourites Menu addon (star)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Calibre Menu.png
Views:	73
Size:	760.0 KB
ID:	205671  
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 01:20 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use all 3+, but remove those icons I never use. FWIW I also use Context menues, so some of the relevant (book level) items my only be there.

The Menu: (words only) Preferences, Help, Fetch News

Hoo boy! I have become a bit inconsistent over time.

Main toolbar (no device) was supposed to be Basic Library (Add, Convert, send t...)

Main (device) dropped those that I would not need/use while a device was connected)

Secondary is utility Plugins, things that may be used with or without a device connected
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote