Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2019, 04:04 AM   #1
mimicxz
Junior Member
mimicxz began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: Kindle
My Kindle PW1 stop working

Hi,
My Kindle PW1 stop working. So I used Putty through ttl to start it.



It shows the Id/SN are missing. It can't detect the board.

So it struck at using default environment. And it drains battery very quickly.

What should I do now? Try to access fast boot or overwrite firmware?

Thanks,

Last edited by mimicxz; 10-17-2019 at 04:07 AM.
mimicxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:11 AM   #2
mimicxz
Junior Member
mimicxz began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimicxz View Post
Hi,
My Kindle PW1 stop working. So I used Putty through ttl to start it.



It shows the Id/SN are missing. It can't detect the board.

So it struck at using default environment. And it drains battery very quickly.

What should I do now? Try to access fast boot or overwrite firmware?

Thanks,
The screen is here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191017.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	174287
mimicxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2019, 05:57 AM   #3
mimicxz
Junior Member
mimicxz began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimicxz View Post
The screen is here.

Attachment 174287
U-Boot 2009.09-1ab126( Nov 29 2012-23:18:55)

CPU: Freescale i.MX50 family 1.1V at 800 MHz
mx50 pll1: 800MHz
mx50 pll2: 400MHz
mx50 pll3: 216MHz
ipg clock : 66666666Hz
ipg per clock : 66666666Hz
uart clock : 24000000Hz
ahb clock : 133333333Hz
axi_a clock : 400000000Hz
axi_b clock : 200000000Hz
weim_clock : 100000000Hz
ddr clock : 800000000Hz
esdhc1 clock : 80000000Hz
esdhc2 clock : 80000000Hz
esdhc3 clock : 80000000Hz
esdhc4 clock : 80000000Hz
MMC: FSL_ESDHC: 0, FSL_ESDHC: 1
Board: Unknown
Boot Reason: [POR]
Boot Device: MMC
Board Id:
S/N:
Invalid board id! Can't determine system type for RAM init.. bailing!
DRAM: 0 kB
Using default environment

Since Previous posts never solved. any one can tell me where to find working
Fast boot img?

Thanks,
mimicxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,147
Karma: 18200597
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas
Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
No reply to your posts in two hours?
Maybe you forgot to pay your support contract here.


The eMMC has died on the board.
There are at least two threads here on the details of how to replace it.
Although, unless you have copied down those private, outside of the filesystem, values; you will still be S.O.L.

Sell as a used, working, replacement screen and junk the rest.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
mimicxz
Junior Member
mimicxz began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No reply to your posts in two hours?
Maybe you forgot to pay your support contract here.


The eMMC has died on the board.
There are at least two threads here on the details of how to replace it.
Although, unless you have copied down those private, outside of the filesystem, values; you will still be S.O.L.

Sell as a used, working, replacement screen and junk the rest.
Thanks for reply.
I find my sn on amazon, but what else private data I need?
mimicxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 142
Karma: 12
Join Date: Jul 2019
Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimicxz View Post
Thanks for reply.
I find my sn on amazon, but what else private data I need?
Four pieces of information:
- Serial number (you have that)
- Wi-Fi MAC address
- Board ID (referred to as 'mfg')
- PCB serial number ('pcbsn')

Your options are:
- Get these from a working unit.
- Hack up U-Boot to make it capable of initializing the board's DRAM without knowing what Kindle model this is (you have to read, modify, and compile the Lab126 U-Boot source code for this to happen). It's theoretically a check that you have to replace with a hardcoded value.
- Try random values (especially for Board ID) until something works.
- Try a sector-by-sector recovery of the internal eMMC to see if you can recover your board IDs. This data is on a user-inaccessible part of the eMMC.

This thread is a good starting point:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=271750
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:46 PM   #7
mimicxz
Junior Member
mimicxz began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaseemAlkurdi View Post
Four pieces of information:
- Serial number (you have that)
- Wi-Fi MAC address
- Board ID (referred to as 'mfg')
- PCB serial number ('pcbsn')

Your options are:
- Get these from a working unit.
- Hack up U-Boot to make it capable of initializing the board's DRAM without knowing what Kindle model this is (you have to read, modify, and compile the Lab126 U-Boot source code for this to happen). It's theoretically a check that you have to replace with a hardcoded value.
- Try random values (especially for Board ID) until something works.
- Try a sector-by-sector recovery of the internal eMMC to see if you can recover your board IDs. This data is on a user-inaccessible part of the eMMC.

This thread is a good starting point:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=271750
Thanks for reply.

First:I need to replace eMMC or I just need write back the information to make kindle work?


- Serial number (you have that)
- Wi-Fi MAC address (I found online the easy way to do it is make a new one from the devices I have with +1)
- Board ID (referred to as 'mfg') **Where to find it or make a new one?**
- PCB serial number ('pcbsn') (The Sticker on the board?)
mimicxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:01 PM   #8
mimicxz
Junior Member
mimicxz began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: Kindle
And where can I found PW1's imgs to download? All the links on forum are dead.

Thanks again.
mimicxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:29 AM   #9
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 142
Karma: 12
Join Date: Jul 2019
Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimicxz View Post
Thanks for reply.

First:I need to replace eMMC or I just need write back the information to make kindle work?
That depends on whether the current eMMC is damaged or just "forgot" the data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimicxz View Post
- Serial number (you have that)
- Wi-Fi MAC address (I found online the easy way to do it is make a new one from the devices I have with +1)
AFAIK, the Kindle's U-Boot (and/or the Amazon registration process) verifies whether the MAC address being used is a real Kindle MAC address. I'm not 100% sure though, so I should wait for @knc1 to confirm this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimicxz View Post
- Board ID (referred to as 'mfg') **Where to find it or make a new one?**
No way to make one. You have to either use random numbers and pray you get lucky, or find a toast Kindle. I'd recommend you do the latter. They are as cheap as dirt on eBay.
- PCB serial number ('pcbsn') (The Sticker on the board?)
[/quote]
If the sticker on the board follows this template:
Code:
#XX#X#XX#XX##XXXX###
where # stands for a number and X stands for a letter, then this is a Board ID (mfg).
And if it follows this template:
Code:
###############X
then it's a PCB serial number (pcbsn).

But one question: why don't you patch U-Boot to ignore the serial number check and initialize DRAM as if it was a Paperwhite?
As a start, check the file board/imx50_yoshi/imx50_yoshi.c. It's a good start, and from a casual reading of the code, I can see code sections that are very relevant to the issue you're facing.
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:33 AM   #10
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 142
Karma: 12
Join Date: Jul 2019
Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimicxz View Post
And where can I found PW1's imgs to download? All the links on forum are dead.

Thanks again.
Amazon: https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...le_5.6.1.1.bin
Use KindleTool by @NiLuJe to unpack this.
Note that Amazon updates do not include the diags partition (/dev/mmcblk0p2), so make sure that you have a backup of that (or better yet, of the whole shebang: /dev/mmcblk0)
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:12 AM   #11
mimicxz
Junior Member
mimicxz began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaseemAlkurdi View Post
Amazon: https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...le_5.6.1.1.bin
Use KindleTool by @NiLuJe to unpack this.
Note that Amazon updates do not include the diags partition (/dev/mmcblk0p2), so make sure that you have a backup of that (or better yet, of the whole shebang: /dev/mmcblk0)
Since my kindle can't read from eMMC already. Where can I find diags's img.
That's the part I need to find.

Does amazon's old version image include diags' iamge?

Thanks,
mimicxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Onyx pls stop working on Android 4 and single core fgdas Onyx Boox 6 06-07-2017 07:00 PM
Kindle PW1 bricked(?) levanid Kindle Developer's Corner 3 06-13-2016 06:29 PM
Kindle PW1 project mishaparem Kindle Developer's Corner 4 01-30-2015 10:19 PM
Rereading my books makes sync stop working ScalyFreak Amazon Kindle 4 06-16-2014 09:05 AM
New DR1000S Stop Working E.M. iRex 2 03-10-2009 08:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:07 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.