Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
tsamnick
tsamnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M90
M90 "novice" usage test!

Hi you all!
Greetings from sunny Greece!
I received my M90 (my first e-reader!) 20 days ago! I took it with me on my short holidays under the bright & warm Greek sun.
I would like to share some of my observations with all of you & particularly with Onyx guys!
1. The pearl e-ink really rocks!! No problem under the Greek sun! Not even under direct midday sunlight!
2. The IR sensor though, went .... bananas!!!!! It kept turning pages by itself! I just looked at it and it turned the pages back & forth! It did that even under the shade of a beach umbrella! Well guys, I do believe that something must be done a.s.a.p. I kept loosing the page
3. Internet wi-fi connections is simply awful!!! If and when I managed to connect to a nearby network (with very strong signal), the message I got while trying to get to google home page was that "host not found". I used my Nokia N95 mobile and there! I connected!!!
4. Battery life! 8,000 page turns?!?!?!?! Come on guys! Unless I'm doing something wrong, I had to charge it almost every 2.5 to 3 days, while using it for approximately 3 hours daily (Greek beaches and sea do not allow for more time to ... read!)Am I doing something wrong with energy management?
5. Yeap, I've seen it too! There is a blind spot where the speaker is! What are we going to do about it? By the way, talking about the speaker function; I hear nothing! (Maybe some very very very very, low whispers) unless I use earphones! Is this the wat it is supposed to work?

Other than the above, so far, I have not to add.
All in all, I am quite pleased with the device, despite the fact that it is my first! I have read about 4 books (of approx 400 pages each) so far and my opinion is quite positive!
I just wish that the above issues would be resolved!

By the way, the "technician" who mentioned that the screen auto rotates should join me every time i need to turn the screen 90 degrees and then I have to make a whole circle (360) in order to bring it back! How clever is that? If I am doing something wrong, please advice!

tsamnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
Nice review; can you tell more about technical pdf reading ? like programming books
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
About poor battery life: Don't keep on the wi-fi connection all the time. Every e-readers decrease its battery very fast if you do it.

About the other problems you mention, we know them very well and are not yet fully recovered. Actually there are other ones, such as poor dictionary and highlighting functionality for example.
I have to say that there are some M90 devices without blind spot. I have one of these devices.

I suggest you to upgrade the firmware. The latest one you can find here

http://www.onyx-boox.com/onyx-boox-f...x-m90-firmware

You can update the software by follow steps:

l Download the latest updates package from Onyx website: www.onyx-international.com

l Save the updates package in a SD card.

l Make sure the updates package is located at the root directory of the SD card. The name should be 'onyx_update.upd'.

l Insert the SD card into Boox.

l Restart Boox, press and hold the OK button. NOTE, the OK button should be pressed before the device restarts. Hold it until you see the message 'Software update request detected, checking updates…'.

l Boox updates itself automatically. It restarts after update finishes.

Reminder: Make sure Boox has enough power to finish the software update (at least 2 grids displayed)
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My M90 is now giving me nothing but trouble. This began about 6 weeks ago, and is getting worse. I've upgraded the firmware, rebooted the thing countless times, turned it on, off, and upside down, but it is still not working properly.

I often have to reboot it multiple times to get it to the home screen.

I often have to plug it in to get it to reboot.

Once I get to the home screen, and and click on My Library, the M90 often freezes. Then I reboot some more.

Eventually I will get it to open a book. Then if I let it fall asleep, it will "wake up," and display the page it was on, then it won't turn the page, or do anything else.

If I try to exit the book (any book), it won't exit. I've tried with the IR button, and with the stylus. I can tap the exit button til the cows come home.

Then I reboot again. And again. And again.

It's getting to the point that I don't want to even bother trying anymore.

Is there some way to wipe the firmware and start from scratch?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
ye sif you go to settings there should be a "format memory" im not looking at it this moment but if i recall that is like factory reset.

try to get a screen shot or picture of the "about device" screen too please
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a pic of the about screen on my M90.

I have formatted the flash. It didn't remove the book I was reading at that point, but after I shut the unit off and turned it back on it was gone.

I'll have to reboot my iMac later (I'm streaming Dateline NBC right now )so I can boot into 32-bit and reload a book or two. Then I'll report back if things have improved.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard

I am pleased to report that my M90 is again functioning properly. No lockups since "Formatting Flash." I suspect I'll need to do this on a regular basis, but it's much less painful than having to reboot constantly.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #8
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I am pleased to report that my M90 is again functioning properly. No lockups since "Formatting Flash." I suspect I'll need to do this on a regular basis, but it's much less painful than having to reboot constantly.
isn't formatting flash losing all bookmarks, scribbles? haven't tried it myself. I use SD card btw.
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jian1 View Post
isn't formatting flash losing all bookmarks, scribbles? haven't tried it myself. I use SD card btw.

I would assume so. I had no bookmarks nor scribbles to lose. My loaded books were gone.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
I am wondering if anybody can pass me the annotation file, I need to see if that can be hacked. From what a previous poster said it must be an sqlite format in which case making a backup copy and transfering the annotations and highlights to PC won't be a problem..

Please help me with that...
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote