Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-03-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Justification in (i)Books

In all my books, I set justification in css as
p {text-align: justify;}
For most books, I do not embed a font, I just have:
body {font-family: serif;}

I have just noticed that in all the epubs I have on my iPad, viewing with Books (formerly iBooks), that the justification changes depending on which font I select from the GUI:

For Athelas, Georgia, San Francisco, New York, Seravek, Times New Roman:
these all now display as left-aligned.

For Charter, Iowan, Palatino: text is justified as intended.

For books with embedded fonts, justification seems to be correct.

I cannot see any user menu to change justification.

I haven't noticed this before, (I rarely read books on my iPad, just use it to test ePubs). The iPad was on iOS 12.4.1. I just checked for updates and installed 13.2, but no change in this issue.

So, is this a real bug? Or is my CSS responsible?

PS1

I found that in the system settings, Books has a "Full justification" toggle, which is turned on.
So that is even more weird, since Books is ignoring both that and the epub's CSS to make some fonts left justified.

I guess this is one of those "throw your hands up" and/or "pull out your hair" things about how Apple does things.

PS2
Found an old thread and a link to https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7666319
So, it seem Apple decides to force justification to left depending on the font size. At larger size all are left-aligned.
I would expect this to affect wider fonts first; but Times is narrower than Palatino but switches to left before Palatino does.

So, that confirms it: it's a "pull your hair out" thing.
Just grit your teeth and move on, to mix anatomic metaphors.

Last edited by AlanHK; 11-03-2019 at 08:51 PM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:45 PM   #2
AbominableDavid
Enthusiast
AbominableDavid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
So, it seem Apple decides to force justification to left depending on the font size. At larger size all are left-aligned.
I would expect this to affect wider fonts first; but Times is narrower than Palatino but switches to left before Palatino does.

So, that confirms it: it's a "pull your hair out" thing.
Just grit your teeth and move on, to mix anatomic metaphors.
Thank you for tracking this down. I had the same problem and fiddled with it for a few days, finally deciding to just remain with Google Play books instead of Apple Books.

Seems pretty boneheaded on Apple's part.
AbominableDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
I guess this is one of those "throw your hands up" and/or "pull out your hair" things about how Apple does things.
Hah. That is a great description of how Apple likes to enforce their environment. I made more or less the same observations about font justification as you did.

Knowing that Apple sometimes enforces things like this, I just gave up trying to figure it out and stuck with Google books much like the post(er) above this one.

. /
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote