Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-27-2017, 02:03 AM   #151
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
This may have to be referred to unpacker coders, but:

Imported from a KF8 using the KindleImport plugin, and every file had code like this:

Code:
<body id="7629">
Which of course caused epubcheck to error since the numeric id is illegal (giving the obscure "without colons" message).

the toc.ncx was fine though, it had

Code:
<navPoint id="np_4" playOrder="4">
Can these ids be made conformant when the epub is created?
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #152
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not doing a lot of extra diddling of the xhtml/xml that KindleUnpack extracts from a binary Kindlebook. The plugin is intended to get the kindlebook into Sigil as an editable Epub with as little modification as possible. From there it's up to the user to get it all cleaned up and compliant.

Changing an xhtml id would require parsing every single xhtml file and css file to determine if the id was used in a link or a css selector that would need to be subsequently updated.

KindleUnpack devs probably won't be very receptive to the idea either. Mainly because KindleUnpack is used to inspect/study the contents of Kindlebooks. As such, it tries very hard not to change anything it doesn't have to.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-27-2017 at 05:11 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:22 PM   #153
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
KindleImport stopped working after SIGIL 0.9.9 ?

I've successfully used KindleImport 0.82.1 with Sigil 0.9.9.
Using KindleImport 0.82.1 with Sigil 0.9.10 against exactly the same source file produces an error in Sigil: "The NCX file is not present in this EPUB. Sigil has created a new one for you. The OPF file does not contain a valid spine. Sigil has created a new one for you". But it does not import any of the files or images.

Recent versions of Sigil (1.3, 1.41) with KindleImport 0.82.1 do the same thing, with a different error message: "Files exist in epub that are not listed in the manifest, they will be ignored".

The source mobi has been Alf'ed, if that makes a difference. The original is a Dell publications magazine copied directly from my e-ink kindle and then Alf'ed.

Again, everything works fine with Sigil 0.9.9. Does KindleImport need to present the manifest to newer version of Sigils differently?
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #154
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First off: the KindleImport plugin has its own thread. Let's keep the conversation there. And second: I use KindleImport with versions of Sigil after 0.9.9 all the time.

I have no idea if the underlying KindleUnpack engine still works with Kindle Magazines or not. I haven't purchased one in ages. But it still works with all of the novels I buy from Amazon.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-16-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:20 PM   #155
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
First off: the KindleImport plugin has its own thread. Let's keep the conversation there. And second: I use KindleImport with versions of Sigil after 0.9.9 all the time.

I have no idea if the underlying KindleUnpack engine still works with Kindle Magazines or not. I haven't purchased one in ages. But it still works with all of the novels I buy from Amazon.

(oops, forgot a detail, I'm on Windows 10)

Sorry, I don't understand: I have dozens of magazines that still work fine with the combination of Sigil 0.9.9 / KindleImport 0.82.1. So I assume the underlying KindleUnpack works fine. It's when I upgrade to any newer version of Sigil that KI stops working. I've been assuming (but obviously don't know) that something changed in he interface between Sigil and KI. If I upgrade, it sops working. If I reinstall 0.9.9, it works. I've gone through the exercise multiple times just to be sure. But I don't know how to troubleshoot this issue. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I would like to use a more recent version of Sigil eventually.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:46 PM   #156
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

But it hasn't stopped working for me and others. I use Sigil 1.4.1 and KindleImport to open Kindle books inSigil all the time. On Windows 7, Windows 10, and several different flavors of Linux. I just used it on about 10 kindlebooks after I saw your post to make sure it was still working.

I'm guessing you're running into the newer "Unmanifested files" warning in newer versions of Sigil. The warning is new, but before that, unmanifested files were silently ignored and subsequently silently deleted by Sigil when saving/reopening. I can assure you that your kindlebooks very likely had the same exact problems on older versions of Sigil, you were just never warned that there might be issues in those older versions.

Kindlebooks have lots of extra cruft in them. Especially if they're in the older mobi format that I suspect the magazines are. It doesn't surprise me at all that there could image files unpacked from mobis that are unmanifested. There were probably problems with your magazines all along. Newer versions of Sigil are just warning you about the problems where the older versions didn't. KindleImport is doing the same things it always did.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:12 PM   #157
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Kindlebooks have lots of extra cruft in them. Especially if they're in the older mobi format that I suspect the magazines are. It doesn't surprise me at all that there could image files unpacked from mobis that are unmanifested.
The Kindle magazine format uses links to images from the NCX for article mastheads, page images, and page thumbnail images. As far as I can tell KindleUnpack ignores all of these.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:33 PM   #158
jmurphy
Connoisseur

Quote:
KindleImport is doing the same things it always did.
But for me, it isn't doing the same thing. At all.
After import, the only thing in Sigil is "content.opf" and "toc.ncx".
The Text node is empty, the Styles node is empty, the Images node is empty, the Fonts node is empty, etc. For me, nothing gets imported using Sigil 0.9.10 or newer. 0.9.9 *still* works fine, on the same source files.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:38 PM   #159
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I can't explain that. That's weird.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:50 PM   #160
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The Kindle magazine format uses links to images from the NCX for article mastheads, page images, and page thumbnail images. As far as I can tell KindleUnpack ignores all of these.
If KindleUnpack itself can't make sense of the Kindle magazine format, then KindleImport doesn't stand a chance of successfully opening one in Sigil. I can't see how the version of Sigil could possibly make a difference in opening a Kindle format that KindleUnpack itself can't handle.

The bottom line is that I can't do anything without a sample KindleBook that exhibits the problem. But copyrighted material cannot be uploaded to MobileRead.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-16-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:02 PM   #161
jmurphy
Connoisseur

Yes, it's weird, that's why I came here. And, yes, I grant there may be a problem with my setup, but I'm damned if I can figure out what. As you've done, tonight I pulled a book (azw3) from my kindle, Alf'ed it, and successfully created an epub using KI and Sigil 1.41. So is there a difference in how newer versions of Sigil/KI handle POBI files (renamed to mobi, first). Is there any chance you (or someone here) can confirm that Sigil 1.41/KI still works with POBI magazines? (Actually, any POBI, not just Dell, just tested F&SF. Same results)
Old 11-17-2020, 06:54 AM   #162
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've honestly never encountered a POBI file in my life. So the chances are extremely high that KindleImport won't be able to make a proper epub out of them. I just don't understand how it could have EVER worked with any version of Sigil. The plugin builds an epub from the source material entirely on its own. Sigil isn't involved in that part of the process.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #163
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I've honestly never encountered a POBI file in my life. So the chances are extremely high that KindleImport won't be able to make a proper epub out of them. I just don't understand how it could have EVER worked with any version of Sigil. The plugin builds an epub from the source material entirely on its own. Sigil isn't involved in that part of the process.
Ditto. No bloody idea what a POBI is.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #164
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

OK. I've managed to get a method working again for removing the DRM from Kindle purchases (something I haven't needed or wanted to do for quite some time) and I can confirm that Kindle Magazines are not compatible with KindleImport and current versions of Sigil. I subscribed to LightSpeed which has a 28-day trial period (but I got a .mobi file and not a .pobi one for what that's worth). They do indeed import as empty epubs with tons of unmanifested files.

I have not yet tried to see if it will work with older versions of Sigil yet. But if it DID somehow accidentally work with those older versions of Sigil, I just might be able to purposely make it work again with the newer version. No promises, though.

Stay tuned!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-17-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #165
jmurphy
Connoisseur

Quote:
(but I got a .mobi file and not a .pobi one for what that's worth).
[snip]
I just might be able to purposely make it work again with the newer version. No promises, though.

Stay tuned!
If I "download for USB transfer" or whatever it's called, I get mobis. If I download directly to the eink kindle (without using a PC) , and then browse the kindle from the PC, it is a pobi. For "reasons", my workflow is to pull the pobi directly from the kindle.

Might be able? AWESOME!
No promises? Understood, of course!

Thanks for the patience and for taking a look.