Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
K3 Here, Have any questions?

Here's my first impressions. If you have any questions about anything, my k3 Tansen and I are here to answer them!

Just when you thought it couldn't get better.... it did, August 26, 2010

Having signed up immediately after the Kindle 3 was announced on July 28th, I was expecting my new Kindle tomorrow. Release date delivery.

I got it today, a full day before the official release (I had amazon prime one day shipping). Go Amazon!

So on to the review. I had a k2 and recently got a Graphite Kindle Dx, which resulted in an immediate dislike to my K2... the Pearl e-ink screen on the DX ruined me for all previous generation Vizplex screens. I had always thought my K2 screen as beautiful, with great contrast, but after having the GKDX, my K2 looked hazy, dull grey, and indistinct next to the new screen. It really is the difference between a newspaper and a paperback- the pictures just don't do it justice. You have to see it for yourself. So if you're thinking of upgrading for the better screen, it is definitely worth it, go for it!

So what's new about it? It's smaller and lighter, obviously,and while I don't have my K2 any longer to compare the weight, I can say that it feels very light. Almost ridiculously light. Reading one handed will be no problem, especially with the nice (I wouldn't say rubberized) back that replaced the metal back of the K2. Reading with one hand is also easier because now there are previous and next page buttons on both sides of the device, so whether you're a rightie or a lefty, the K3 will suit just fine.

As to the page buttons, I'm a bit mixed on them. Yes they're a good deal more quiet. They're also a good deal smaller than what I am used to, and it will take me some more time to get used to it... they don't need as much press as the K2's buttons did. When you press on the button, it depresses out, towards the edge, I mean. The k3 doesn't have the need-to press-in-the-center button like the K2 did to correct the K1's too-easy-to-press buttons, but because there is space between the screen and the button, you can rest your thumb in between and change the page with the outer side of your finger, very easy!

Now, onto the 5 way rocker. Do I miss the joystick? Nope. The rocker is all one button and you just use your finger in the direction you want the cursor to go. It has a raised edge which is easy to find with your finger even if you're not looking at the keyboard. While I can see why some early reviewers said that the menu and back buttons are a little close to the rocker directional pad, I haven't actually hit one or the other while trying to navigate. I guess your mileage may vary.

No numerical buttons! Why Amazon, why? There's clearly space for it..... Now if you need to enter in any number you either have to hold ALT and press one of the top keys on the keyboard (Q=1, W=2 E=3 R=4), or use the SYM button. Each has its own advantage. Using the top keys, you can enter as many numbers as you like quickly, but seeing as the number each key correlates too, one might not remember which is which. Unlike the Dx, there really isn't any room on these rounded buttons to print the corresponding number. Maybe above the themselves the numbers could have been printed on the Kindle? Maybe a skin can help out. The numbers are also located in the SYM section, and the sym menu stays open while you make your selections. This makes it preferable to the top-key usage except for the fact that you have to hit SYM to close the window.

Did I mention the k3 is FAST? Fast at everything, turning pages, showing menus, everything. Hopefully software update 3.0 (which is on the k3 and not any other Kindle as of yet) will be coming to the other Kindles. I definitely want the speed (and PDF annotating abilities) for my Graphite KDX.

I don't know what else there is to say. I had thought that the Kindle couldn't get (much) better, and it far exceeded my expectations. It's definitely worth the upgrade. If I have anything else to add over the next few hours (and days) I'll add it in the review here. And if anyone has any questions, leave a comment and I'll be happy to try it out for you.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Good review, thanks.

Yes, I don't understand Amazon taking out the number keys. They are absolutely ESSENTIAL for me and for many, many others. Amazon should have printed the numbers on the keys as well like you said.
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

I'm a bit used to the DX system of numbering, but at least the numbers are on the keys.... I think I might end up using the SYM button more than ALT-QWERTY....
Old 08-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Nice review. I have to say that I rarely even use the keyboard on my K2 so I won't miss the numbers.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
charlec
charlec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Could you see what gmail and google reader work like in the browser? (Obviously only if you have a google account). Thanks in advance!
charlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Anarel
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlec View Post
Could you see what gmail and google reader work like in the browser? (Obviously only if you have a google account). Thanks in advance!
Trying it out, now!

EDIT: Gmail loads just fine. I have to get back to you on google reader....

Last edited by Anarel; 08-26-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
ALT+QWERTY is good enough, and I won't miss dedicated number keys given it has resulted in a smaller device.

PDF annotation. Please try it out, and round-trip with your computer: are annotations created with Adobe Reader/Acrobat/whatever editable on K3? are annotations created on K3 viewable/editable with Adobe Reader/Acrobat/whatever?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
Anarel
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
ALT+QWERTY is good enough, and I won't miss dedicated number keys given it has resulted in a smaller device.

PDF annotation. Please try it out, and round-trip with your computer: are annotations created with Adobe Reader/Acrobat/whatever editable on K3? are annotations created on K3 viewable/editable with Adobe Reader/Acrobat/whatever?

Mmkay leme go find a PDF, Ive been curious about this myself. I'm really going to need it for school this year.... though that mean I'm really going to need software 3.0 on my GKDX...

EDIT: Ok, so far, so good. Made a note and highlight pretty easy, a bit slower than normal use of a mobi/azw book, but workable. I'm hooking K3 back up to my comp now.

EDIT 2: Alright, having hooked up my K3 back to the comp, I can look at the files. There is the PDF I used: Hocus Pocus. The notes/location/farthest page read file is a pdr, named Hocus Pocus PDR. I just opened the document and the notes don't appear on the PDF itself. I tried opening up the .pdr and Calibre flew open....

Short of it is, annotations you make on PDF's are only stored within the K3 .pdr file...

EDIT 3: Ok, so any annotations made with Adobereader or any other kind of PDF viewer/created are not editable. They're just viewable, but one can't interact with them in another other way. No big deal for me, I really just needed the ability to make highlights and notes, but I can see how others would want that...

Last edited by Anarel; 08-26-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
charlec
charlec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Brilliant - saves me having to take my laptop out (when my Kindle arrives!). Thanks for trying it out.
charlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'm in total agreement because I was just thinking to myself that if DecalGirl or anybody else comes up with a skin that puts the numbers above that top row of keys I'll probably be covering up that graphite color with it. Right now I find it easier to use the Sym button and select from there.

I haven't found anything else that I dislike about the Kindle 3 yet. It seems to be a really nice machine. I'm looking forward to getting my cover tomorrow.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Anarel
Evangelist

Update to previous PDF post.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Have any questions?
Yeah, does it have the ability to make a mediocre book fantastic??

Sorry, the 57 K3 threads were getting a bit monotonous.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
Anarel
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yeah, does it have the ability to make a mediocre book fantastic??

Sorry, the 57 K3 threads were getting a bit monotonous.
But it's a K3!

Not 1 or two or GKDX... but 3!!!!

*confetti*

@ Charlec

I don't really do anything with google reader, but the page loads fine.... maybe I'll figure out what it's doing and then get back to you, unless you get your Kindle first that is!

Last edited by Anarel; 08-26-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
Anarel
Evangelist

Here's a video I made of the K3's Voice Guide feature in case anyone was interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP9uFKC3dZw
Old 08-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Mmkay leme go find a PDF, Ive been curious about this myself. I'm really going to need it for school this year.... though that mean I'm really going to need software 3.0 on my GKDX...

EDIT: Ok, so far, so good. Made a note and highlight pretty easy, a bit slower than normal use of a mobi/azw book, but workable. I'm hooking K3 back up to my comp now.

EDIT 2: Alright, having hooked up my K3 back to the comp, I can look at the files. There is the PDF I used: Hocus Pocus. The notes/location/farthest page read file is a pdr, named Hocus Pocus PDR. I just opened the document and the notes don't appear on the PDF itself. I tried opening up the .pdr and Calibre flew open....

Short of it is, annotations you make on PDF's are only stored within the K3 .pdr file...

EDIT 3: Ok, so any annotations made with Adobereader or any other kind of PDF viewer/created are not editable. They're just viewable, but one can't interact with them in another other way. No big deal for me, I really just needed the ability to make highlights and notes, but I can see how others would want that...
Aww, I was afraid that would be the case. Amazon, back to the drawing board! Thanks though...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote