Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #31
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Ryan View Post
It takes time to properly format and re-edit your work for Smashwords and Kindle--the 12 backlist titles I published took me about a month and a half of full-time work (much of that just in-depth re-reading)--but it's not hard. The Smashword guidelines, in particular, are involved, but real easy to understand.
I've copyedited and formatted a number of books (written by others) for Smashwords, and I can attest to the time it takes to really go through every line and make a manuscript look nice. Remember, too, that the works are then processed by the Smashwords Meatgrinder program, which occasionally spits out formatting weirdnesses you didn't expect.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #32
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Someone asked for other authors. Here are some SF and fantasy writers I happen to know about who've self-repubbed at least some of their backlist books:

Vonda N. McIntyre
Doranna Durgin
CJ Cherryh
Jane Fancher
Lynn Abbey
Diane Duane
Gerald Weinberg
Kevin J. Anderson
Jeffrey A. Carver (me)

There are some others listed at backlistebooks.com as well as bookviewcafe.com.

I've been trying to get some more of my writer friends to do it, but for people who aren't already ebook readers, it seems a bigger hurdle than I think it really is.

Last edited by starrigger; 02-25-2011 at 02:07 PM.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #33
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Carolyn Jewel just released Lord Ruin for Kindle. I'm in the middle of it now. I think she plans to do more.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #34
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
There's too many to name! I participate in a listserv called Murder Must Advertise, and every traditionally published author in the forum has e-published his/her backlist. More join the indie revolution every day.

And then there are authors like me, who had a traditional publisher and left to self-publish all their titles...because it's the only way they can make a living.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #35
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Carolyn Jewel just released Lord Ruin for Kindle. I'm in the middle of it now. I think she plans to do more.
FYI - she's on Smashwords, too, for those that are interested in other-than-Kindle formats.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #36
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
PLEASE NOTE:

This thread is NOT for self-promotion.

There is a distinct difference between mentioning the issues involved in getting one's (or another author's) catalog from backlist to ebook, etc., and blatant self-promotion.

Please remember, MobileRead has a whole Forum for Self-Promotions.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #37
melaniejaxn
Enthusiast
melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

I'm publishing backlist too. It is wonderful to be able to supply missing books in series for readers. My old publisher often publishes first and last books but did nothing with the middle books and they have been OOP for years.
melaniejaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #38
Rebeccaforster
Rebecca Forster
Rebeccaforster began at the beginning.

Ficbot! I have posted most of my backlist on Smashwords - my current legal thrillers including the bestselling Witness series (Hostile Witness, Silent Witness and Privleged Witness) and the USA Today Bestseller, Keeping Counsel if you like a really creepy villan. I also have my women's fiction up. Hope you'll check it out and thanks for asking us. I also have a new book Before Her Eyes which is my first unique to digital book. Best, Rebecca Forster
http://www.rebeccaforster.com
Rebeccaforster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #39
Dimwit
Connoisseur
Dimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo
Just out of curiousity, what do the republishers do about covers? Use the old ones? Contract new ones?
Dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #40
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
In most cases, you have to make new ones. Sometimes you can arrange privately with the artist of the original cover (if you like it and want to keep it) for the use of the artwork. But even then, you have to have type design and layout--you can't use that from the original, because that's owned by the original publisher.

In many cases, writers are eager to have new covers, because they weren't happy with the originals.

There's a growing cottage industry of folk doing book cover design, and finding clever ways to use stock art.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #41
Rebeccaforster
Rebecca Forster
Rebeccaforster began at the beginning.

Don't think twice, finish that unfinished book! I'm loving having control over my work, backlist or new work. Hope you'll let us know when it's done! Rebecca
Rebeccaforster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #42
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm still in the process of reissuing my books, after a thorough editing/reproofing and new covers. Eight out of fifteen are available now.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote