Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
kimmieg
kimmieg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iTouch, Droid phone
Pandigital Multimedia eReader?

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=17504215

I currently own a Kindle 2 but would like a reader to use for borrowing books from my local library. With a coupon and $20 rebate, this would be an inexpensive option.

I'm debating between it and a Nook and would appreciate your input/feedback.

Kim/SC
kimmieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
See this thread

Mind I had to do a double-take when I saw the name of the store .... BedBath and Beyond .... !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
kimmieg
kimmieg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iTouch, Droid phone
Thanks Geoff! I appreciate the link. Lots of good info.

Kim
kimmieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Mind I had to do a double-take when I saw the name of the store .... BedBath and Beyond .... !
It is exactly what the name says.
They did a good job moving Jetbooks.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It is exactly what the name says.
They did a good job moving Jetbooks.

so that's how they got to beyond ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
mindseye73
mindseye73 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
See this thread

The link to the post is old.
I bought mine from bed bath and beyond yesterday. I spent sometime with it yesterday, I like it.
It has some development community for it ( http://www.slatedroid.com/vbulletin/...ndigital-Novel ) and people have been able to install Kindle for Android on it. So, it is device which comes with BN store and now you have options of using kindle also. Havent tried borrowing from library but will do so this weekend and post my experience.
Bed Bath and Beyond is selling for 169, with 20% coupon and $20 rebate(the store will give u rebate form), it cost me $122.I am happy with device with that cost.
And it is 1GB unlike the post where they talk about 512MB in flyer.
mindseye73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
It's not available in the UK as far as I can see, nor offered by ebay.
Would any kind soul be willing to sell it to me at RRP and postage to Uk as I'd love to muck around with it
I am interested in the white version while its available
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Sounds interesting. I may have to pick one up for night time reading because as much as I love the displays on the e-ink devices, I still miss my backlight. Battery wouldn't matter to me in that case since I'd be hooked to an outlet.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
I bought one at my BB&B last night. ~$124, after 20% coupon and rebate.

Some quick notes, so far: It's 1GB RAM, based on Android 2.0 or 2.1, SD slot, speakers, HP jack, tactic volume control, AC adapter and stand. Takes about a minute to start up when doing a full reset.

Once hacked (see the other thread for a link), the home page is speedier and you can install other Android apps, the volume button are remapped as "menu" and "back" or else this could not work. So far, I've installed Opera Mini, OfficeSuite and two other media players. Still playing around with it. One caveat so far is sluggish video playback, but tweaking my video files may help with this.

Last edited by roebeet; 07-15-2010 at 08:38 AM.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Below is a link to my experience with the Pandigital Novel:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90901
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
mindseye73
mindseye73 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
kimmieg,
I got my library card and then downloaded Adobe digital editions. After installing Adobe digital editions, i connected PD Novel and authorized the device. After downloading ebooks from library, u can drag and drop to PD Novel using Adobe digital editions. It was very easy and now I can view borrowed library books on my Novel.
So, for me Novel fits my requirements of :
1) Being not limited to one store, I can use Kindle, Barnes and Noble, Kobo and Borders app on Novel.
2) Being able to borrow books from library and read.
3) Being less than $150.

It is not perfect but with little tweaking here and there, it is pretty decent device for th e money. I have also installed facebook, pandora and other apps on it.
mindseye73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
how did you get the kobo and borders app working?
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote