Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
The Digi-Novel: The New Electronic Reading Format?

From Yahoo Tech News

Quote:
Anthony Zuiker, creator of the "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" U.S. television series, is releasing what he calls a "digi-novel" combining all three media -- and giving a jolt to traditional book publishing.

Zuiker has created "Level 26," a crime novel that also invites readers to log on to a website about every 20 pages using a special code to watch a "cyber-bridge" -- a three-minute film clip tied to the story.

….
"Just doing one thing great is not going to sustain business," he said. "The future of business in terms of entertainment will have to be the convergence of different mediums. So we did that -- publishing, movies and a website."
….
Zuiker said people's attention span was becoming shorter and shorter and that it was important to give people more options on how they consumed entertainment and books.

As the article explains

Quote:
Increasingly, people are reading books on electronic readers like Amazon.com's Kindle and Sony Corp's Reader.

Those devices don't play videos, so "Level 26" readers still need to log on to the Internet on a different device. Apple Inc is said to be developing a touchscreen tablet, which some analysts envision as a multimedia device that could play videos
What do you think? Being as you are already reading in a new way (ebooks), are you interested in a new dimension of reading?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Lyanna
Lyanna began at the beginning.

Device: none
I don't think this is a very new concept - it was already done more or less with the Heroes series. As long as ereaders don't show video's and don't have a browser with which to surf the internet I don't see how it really ties in with the ereader concept.
Lyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Gimmick. Big fat whopping gimmick. There's nothing new about this idea, it's basically an interactive CD rom, but the multimedia parts are being 'offshored' to the web. Also, telling that he talks about fiction in the 'business' sense. Business this, and business that, all leaves me very cold.

if you want to see the digital being used in new ways, exciting ways, read some microfiction like "Password Inccorrect" by Nick Name or his similarly inspired "Hashtag Stories", you might also want to try the first Twittter Novel (Twovel) "Eating Grass" by Small Stories, which was written one tweet at a time. (all available on Feedbooks).

Last edited by Moejoe; 09-02-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
evenstr
Enthusiast
evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Personally, I would think that the money spent making the videos was wasted. I read a lot on the go (school, car, etc.) and A) wouldn't stop reading until I saw the video and B) wouldn't go back to watch the video if I was 10, 20, 30, however many pages from where the "bridge" was supposed to be.

Granted, I didn't read the whole article, just what was quoted, so I may have missed something.
evenstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Meh. I know some people like these concepts, but I think I'm old-fashioned or single-minded in this regard. I like my books as text, my movies as moving pictures with sound, and my music as... well, just damn music
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Do one thing, and do it well.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
I've been doing this one with the Heroes series. not pretty much new to me but i enjoy it.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Not for me. Also, its a concept that plays to the need for big media conglomerates. Who wrote the last movie you saw? Producing a book plus a video takes a company with a range of talents. Instead of a book by David Weber (or by an indy author) we have a production by Pixar.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:19 AM   #9
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
cyber-bridge
Argh, toe-curlingly painful to read. Cyber-gag me with a cyber-spoon.

Quote:
Zuiker said people's attention span was becoming shorter and shorter and that it was important to give people more options on how they consumed entertainment and books.
...says the guy with a website which won't last 5 years and links which will probably break much sooner, or was he planning to offer access to his cyber-bridge via the same URL forever?
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
<sigh>

These stupid gimmicks are just so pointless, they aren't going to convert people that don't already read books and they will at best be ignored or at worst annoy people that want to read the book.

If I was being cynical my main assumption is that the book itself just isn't very good and thats why he is trying to market it this way.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote