Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #136
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
grimborg,

There's a linux port of sopdf on page 2 of the thread. There's no need to try Wine or fire up a VM.

Thanks! Didn't see it!
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #137
0plus1
0plus1 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Hi, I'm new on the ebook scene, so I don't really know if this has been forgotten to something newer, but since it gave me the best results I hacked together a small windows GUI in 5 minutes.. this is more than enough for my needs, if enough people are intrested I will expand it, either way it works just as it is.

Currently if forces -e since many pdf would return error even producing a good final result.

sopdf.exe not included, you have to put it in the same directory.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sopdf.zip (84.2 KB, 680 views)
0plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #138
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0plus1 View Post
Hi, I'm new on the ebook scene, so I don't really know if this has been forgotten to something newer, but since it gave me the best results I hacked together a small windows GUI in 5 minutes.. this is more than enough for my needs, if enough people are intrested I will expand it, either way it works just as it is.

Currently if forces -e since many pdf would return error even producing a good final result.

sopdf.exe not included, you have to put it in the same directory.
If you look at page 2 of the thread (post #63), you'll see that I had also made a Windows GUI for it. I haven't tried yours yet, so I can't compare. (Indeed, I've pretty much stopped using Windows entirely in the meantime. I still use sopdf, though... only the linux version.)

Last edited by frabjous; 11-06-2009 at 11:03 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #139
0plus1
0plus1 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
If you look at page 2 of the thread (post #63), you'll see that I had also made a Windows GUI for it. I haven't tried yours yet, so I can't compare. (Indeed, I've pretty much stopped using Windows entirely in the meantime. I still use sopdf, though... only the linux version.)
Damn, I totally missed this :-(
I wouldn't have done it myself if I saw yours, especially since is better than mine..

I will use yours
0plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #140
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur
sebastienbillard is on a distinguished road

Device: none
message to delete once i figure how to do it...

Last edited by sebastienbillard; 11-08-2009 at 01:17 PM.
sebastienbillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #141
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Man first of all my deepest respect and gratitude for your program.

I was so frustrated by SONY's in ability to view large PDF's.
Now, I have hope thanks to your tool =)

I have a suggestion, I tried to use the tool on a scanned book in Arabic (my mother tongue) and face a problem with white space. The program didn't detect it and it remained with the book.

Best of luck!
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:52 AM   #142
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
I'm using Adobe Acrobat to remove the white space. You can use the trial version, it's available on their web site.

It runs on Wine too.

Is there a Free-as-in-speech tool to crop pdfs?
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #143
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

SoPDF is deisgned to crop the whitespace. If it's not working, it's some kind of bug. Also try PaperCrop. (There's a thread on it here. Too lazy to find the URL to post.)

There are lots of other such tools. Most LaTeX distributions (which is usually considered Free Software by people who track such things) come with a croppdf tool (commandline).

If I'm not entirely mistaken, I think even calibre comes with a similar tool.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:56 AM   #144
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
soPdf is quite good. I've tried many conversion softwares and found that solid pdf converter and Indesign cs4 are the best tools! I convert pdf book with many tables and graphics to rtf with solid pdf converter, and then use Indesign CS4 to convert rtf back to pdf. The result is excellent!
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #145
gdsense
gdsense is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500, SoriBook
Another Windows GUI for SoPDF(09/12/15 ver.)

Hello, people...

I've spent my entire weekend to build a simple GUI for SoPDF...(Still learning C#)

And then I've found there are already a bunch of nice GUI tools (including Excel) presented in this thread.

Anyway, I'm posting mine...

It's written in C#, so that .Net Framework 3.5 should be pre-installed.

Also GUI executable (SoPDF GUI 091215.exe) should be in the same location with "soPdf.exe".

Compared to frabjous's work, mine is quiet immature, just try it for fun...

Update on 09/12/15: GUI can be run with Options containing Space Characters.

http://mycyclopedia.tistory.com/207
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soPDFGUI.PNG
Views:	670
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	41203  
Attached Files
File Type: zip SoPDF_GUI_091215.zip (906.2 KB, 3724 views)

Last edited by gdsense; 12-14-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: To notify Improvement in option processing.
gdsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #146
frabjous
Wizard

Thanks for the plug, but really, mine could use a lot of work -- especially with regard to catching and reporting errors to the user.

Since I've switched to linux, however, I don't have the inclination myself...
Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #147
gdsense

Quote:
Thanks for the plug, but really, mine could use a lot of work -- especially with regard to catching and reporting errors to the user.

Since I've switched to linux, however, I don't have the inclination myself...
Thank you for reply...

Maybe I should recompile it using mono.net framework... for linux users...
Old 12-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #148
frabjous
Wizard

Not a bad idea, but don't do it on my account. I've gotten quite used to doing it through the command-line on linux (or actually with a custom bash script hard-wired to my favorite settings).
Old 12-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #149
gdsense

Quote:
Not a bad idea, but don't do it on my account. I've gotten quite used to doing it through the command-line on linux (or actually with a custom bash script hard-wired to my favorite settings).
Actually, I've only a minute experience with Linux OS.
Just used SUSE for numerical analysis purposes(on X Windows)...

I think improving windows version of the GUI and then porting to other OSes is right strategy...

Thank you for advice...
Old 12-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #150
tofuman
Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
It's been 2 weeks I'm trying to use this program, to no avail.

I installed framework but I still get error messages. (I also put exe files and the source file in the same directory)

soPdf ver 0.1 alpha Rev 12
A program to reformat pdf file for sony reader

Input : purgatorio.pdf
Output: purg2.pdf

Processing input page : Error: .\processPdf.cpp(403) : processErrorPage() - Cann
ot process page 1
Error: .\mupdf\pdf_page.c(241) : pdf_loadpage() - cannot load page resources
Error: .\mupdf\pdf_resources.c(430) : pdf_loadresources() - cannot load xobjec
t resource
Error: .\mupdf\pdf_resources.c(165) : preloadxobject() - cannot load image re
source 4
Error: .\mupdf\pdf_stream.c(505) : pdf_loadstream() - cannot open stream (4)

Error: .\mupdf\pdf_stream.c(454) : pdf_openstream() - cannot create filter
Error: .\mupdf\pdf_stream.c(306) : pdf_buildfilter() - cannot create filte
r
Error: .\mupdf\pdf_stream.c(127) : buildonefilter() - unknown filter name
(JBIG2Decode)
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote