Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Differences in frontlight between Aura and Aura HD?

Wondering if anybody here has experienced both these in person in a dark room setting. I'm considering cancelling my Aura and getting an HD instead - not least because in Youtube comparison videos, the HD light seems a little dimmer in a dark room. To me, there is almost no lower limit to how dim I want the screen when I'm reading in the dark - ideally I will just barely comfortably be able to make out the words. My old GLO was a blast of bright light right in my face that made it impossible to get sleepy reading ...

Anybody know?

Last edited by Joques; 12-01-2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: typo
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Both can use Koreader and with that on my AuraHD the frontlight can be set from 1 to 100. With the 1 setting you need to be in a relatively dark place to tell that it is on. Also, since the configuration of the frontend is handled by scripts, you can fine tune almost anything.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
It is my experience that the Aura is darker. But is rather an odd criterium for choosing. You did hear of the nightmode mod? Or coolreader's nightmode?
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Well, it's obviously not the only thing, but it's relevant, yeah. But really, the Aura is darker than the HD?

Just tried the nightmode mod on my intermittently-working GLO, it works fine - so perhaps this is irrelevant. I'll probably go with the HD for the added screen size and - it seems - a cleaner, whiter screen?

About the nighttime mod, a quasiphilosophical question. Since the light comes from the front and is reflected, and is not throttled going through black pixels, will the nighttime mod really reduce the emitted light significantly? It is probably a lot easier on the eyes, but will the amount of light bother my girlfriend in the dark bedroom significantly less? Hmm.

Last edited by Joques; 12-02-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote