Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #16
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I actually did like W2K, and XP. and 7. But 8. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! (I'm an OSX user, if it makes any difference. Made the switch when XP was still the go, but have kept abreast of development because of my non-tech friends who still expect that I can fix their computer issues. It will stop with Windows 8, which I will never get.)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I actually did like W2K, and XP. and 7. But 8. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! (I'm an OSX user, if it makes any difference. Made the switch when XP was still the go, but have kept abreast of development because of my non-tech friends who still expect that I can fix their computer issues. It will stop with Windows 8, which I will never get.)
You are not giving me a "comfy" feeling.

I was hoping W8 would be the answer.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It was a horrible name anyway.
So was the failure called Zune
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #19
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
I think Metro is not a bad name... ie... subways...connections...etc.. but as far as I know Metro was not to be the final name and is only the code name at this point. I would suggest windows Infinity since the number 8 on its side indicates "infinity". However, suing and patent wars would follow from whatever company has that name.

I hope Windows 8 does well.... seems like the Jury has already decided in many corners of the Net that it will fail.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #20
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Trademarks are registered for specific fields, and two (or more) companies can use the same trademarked name in different fields.
That's the part that I don't get. The article is mostly speculation, since Microsoft didn't release many details and Metro AG didn't comment, but I don't see how Microsoft's use of Metro would dilute the retailer's use of it. Which I think is the issue here since Metro is a common word (in several languages).
Advert
Old 08-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #21
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Well, look at Apple Records vs Apple Computers. They were originally in completely different fields, but there was trouble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_C...Apple_Computer

So who knows?

But I think part of it is that there has been some backlash against Metro in PC gaming news lately. The head of Steam has been talking about possibly moving to Linux eventually because of Metro and Windows 8. Some bigwig at Blizzard agreed with him about the problems (if not the moving).

I mean, it's essentially trying to take the regular Windows UI that people have been using since well, Windows existed, and turn it into something aimed at touchscreens (or ironically, AOL from the mid 90s). Desktop PCs and touchscreens just don't really mix well, yet MS is going to try to shove it down people's throats. It's possible they are having second thoughts about it.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #22
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'm so glad I gave in and bought a new (Windows 7) laptop a week ago. And it's painful enough IMO getting used to the Win7 changes from XP. If Win8 is as painful as it sounds, I think I might actually give up and switch to Linux after all!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
How much have you actually USED Windows 8 as a matter of interest? I have the "consumer preview" version installed on an old laptop and I rather like it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:15 AM   #24
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
What does Metro mean? I always thought it's the name of a metropolitan paper or a new subway system.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't mean anything; all development projects have "code names" and this was the one that Microsoft chose for the Windows 8 UI.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #26
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
How much have you actually USED Windows 8 as a matter of interest? I have the "consumer preview" version installed on an old laptop and I rather like it.
Are there any particular advantages over Win7 in your experience?

I was pretty much dead set against it, due to that awful, dreadful, hateful UI, but as I see there are now third party programs available which will remove it for you entirely I may just give it a whirl.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's "evolutionary" rather than "revolutionary", but there are lots of new features, which are nicely summarised in this Wiki page. The new UI makes it much easier to find things than the "Start" menu, to my mind, and you can still run apps on the old Windows desktop if you wish to.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
It doesn't mean anything; all development projects have "code names" and this was the one that Microsoft chose for the Windows 8 UI.
Correct.
They usually have multiple code names for a single product during development.
For example, Chicago was the code name of the expected Windows 4 that became Windows 95.
Memphis was the codename for the expected Windows 4.1 that became instead Windows 97 and released as Windows 98.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...soft_codenames
They even recycle code names, so Metro was originally the code name for the Open XML Paper specification before it became the name of the WinPhone Gui style.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #29
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Mojave is my favorite release of Windows.

I'm not sure Metro or Zune is worse than iPod or Sansa, frankly. Marketing people are special creatures.

If suspect that a lot of people would love the Zune if you put an Apple on the cover and left it at a bar somewhere.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #30
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Mojave is my favorite release of Windows. (...) If suspect that a lot of people would love the Zune if you put an Apple on the cover and left it at a bar somewhere.
I think the best approach is to skip Windows 8 and wait for 9, for the same reason that it was a good idea to skip Vista and wait for 7. It isn't that there is anything wrong with 8 or Vista. It's just that Microsoft is making some significant changes and it is going to take developers time to adapt to those changes. It also takes Microsoft some time to figure out what works and what doesn't work, then to make appropriate changes. In other words, let other people deal with the hiccups and only pay for the product when it is ready.