Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #166
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
"Older women" over thirty five Excuse, I go to get my cane
cougar pirates
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #167
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Pirating the Harry Potter books is not damaging anyone's sales, because there are no digital versions to buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
That's not right. It could harm paperback book sales.
Only if you believe that people who read digital would prefer to read paper--and would buy it *new* if the digital copy weren't available. By that logic, libraries and used book sales harm paperback book sales.

If you think that the digital Harry Potter books are damaging sales--ARE, not "could be"--how much are they doing so? What's the dollar value of a single download of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in PDF form? In .mobi? How much money has a person "stolen," and from whom, when she downloads a Harry Potter ebook?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #168
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
So that includes borrowing or buying a used copy.
This was liitigated nearly a hundred years ago in the US. That's where the 1917 First Use doctrine came into being...(US Supreme Court decision)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #169
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Not really a great argument; anyone buying paperbook copies of Harry Potter in 2011 is almost certainly buying them from second hand stores.

Which is, as we all know, legalized murder.

That link was beautiful. I'm only sorry that the source wasn't identified. Just goes to show how deep the insane rabbit hole goes.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #170
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Not really a great argument; anyone buying paperbook copies of Harry Potter in 2011 is almost certainly buying them from second hand stores.

Which is, as we all know, legalized murder.

That link was beautiful. I'm only sorry that the source wasn't identified. Just goes to show how deep the insane rabbit hole goes.
It end in a maze of twisty little lawyer briefs...All alike.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #171
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I would like to know the questions that were asked for the survey. I was only able to find 2 here.

And the best picture to go with this thread is here.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #172
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I would like to know the questions that were asked for the survey. I was only able to find 2 here.

I'm amused by the 2% that "plan to start" downloading unauthorized content "within the next 6 months". Nice to know that they've put that much thought into it.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #173
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
I doubt many people print out ebooks these days.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #174
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'm amused by the 2% that "plan to start" downloading unauthorized content "within the next 6 months". Nice to know that they've put that much thought into it.
That is a little less than 40 people from those that did the survey. I'm guessing that at least a couple of them started thinking something like "Free software/games/ebooks? Interesting..."
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #175
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
And copyright infringement is oh so close to violently plundering ships at sea.
You wouldn't believe how many ebook readers I saw on my last cruise, and I bet more than a few of those had pirated ebooks on them.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #176
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
This pic is awesome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You wouldn't believe how many ebook readers I saw on my last cruise, and I bet more than a few of those had pirated ebooks on them.
So basically what you're saying is you went on a cruise on a pirate ship with some hardcore pirates ?
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #177
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Just remember the old wise proverb about making assumptions!
It makes an ASS out of U and ME.
but since I'm not assuming the worst of people, that "ME" doesn't refer to me
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #178
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I have an example - I'd love to hear you guys take on it.

I have a friend who is a full time indie singer/entertainer. She isn't huge, no mega hits, recording contracts or anything, but she was making enough money between CD/singles sales and gigs to help support her family. She has/had a rather dedicated following in her genre for over 10 years now. She has numerous fans on facebook, twitter, etc.

A few years ago (I think 4?) she started noticing her CD/singles sales dropping, a little at a time each month but steady. She found out that her music was being pirated but it didn't bother her too much as she has a loyal following. She hoped to get additional fans from it, to be honest.

In the last few years her CD/singles sales have dropped dramatically but her gigs attendance has increased somewhat but not enough to make up for the difference. In addition she has had some family issues that require her to stop performing on a regular basis. The lack of income has driven a wedge in her family and may require that she stop creating music.

She feels that the pirating of her music (if you knew who she was you could get every song she's created from the darknet) has increased her fan base but has hurt her earning potential. She said that while a lot of people like to attend live shows, those people are not in the majority and that most people who would have bought her music now just grab a copy and then follow her on twitter (she's rather bitter about that, actually). She says that people are always telling her how they are a new fan and love her work and waiting for the next album but she hasn't sold very much.

Well, what do you think of this situation? I have left my opinion out of it, I really want to know what your take on this situation is.

Sorry, holiday and what not.

Let me see if I can answer all the questions:

-yes, she has singles/full albums on iTunes and those other places (including My Space)

- Yes, she has performances on You Tube, etc (though not enough IMO)

- By "CD" I mean she sells: physical CDs, mp3s, etc

-she's not really a "genre" singer; I've heard her perform songs that range from old school funk (think Parliament Funkadelic), classical jazz, R&B, trip-hop (think Portishead), etc. I don't think I've heard her sing country, however.

- music prices range from $0.99 to $1.29 (singles) and no more than $9.00 for a complete album (mp3s)

-Until rather recently (2010) she was releasing music (either on her own or with other artists) pretty regularly.

Re: recording contracts - she was signed twice (well, one signing and one contract transfer) but to smaller independent labels. Yall music people remember when Indie labels were all the rage? She signed her first contract then (she regrets that) and was tied up in contract issues for quite a few years. By the time she got "unsigned" she felt abused and didn't want to sign her rights away with any future "deals". Being not a granny at the time, lol, she thought that she would be able to make it on her own. She embraced the musical digital age. Maybe not the best decision ever.

I like the idea of subscriptions...not sure if she would or not. God only knows how it would work for an independent artist vs someone with a recording contract.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #179
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I still think the best thing she could do at this point is to engage with her fans -- does she have a website? a blog? -- and let them know she is struggling to make ends meet. I've seen plenty of indie musicians do this, and the fans are usually very enthusiastic to buy a CD for a family member or something.

And if she IS doing something "wrong" (that is fixable, I mean), her fans can help her discover that reason. I'm a big fan of artist/consumer communication.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #180
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I don't think anyone has mentioned georestrictions yet. That's the only thing that's ever tempted me to glance toward the dark side. It's nothing to do with unwillingness to pay, quite the opposite: I can't get the seller/publisher to take my money for a legitimate e-copy! And no, I'm not entitled to have everything I want Just Because I'm Me... but it does become intensely frustrating when, time and again, you see books being sold that you really want to buy, but they won't let you buy them.

Incidentally, I did download an e-book from the darknet once -- a modern classic that I love, and which was not available in Canada even though it had been available to U.S. buyers for a very long time. A few months later, I discovered that it had just become available to buyers in Canada. So I bought it, and deleted the darknet copy. If I'm ever tempted to badness again, I'll do the same thing.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ages, ereaders, older, piracy, women