Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Sony PRS-650 Word Logs

Word Logs is probably one of the numerous menu options that I clicked on, when I first got my reader, but I really didn't appreciate how useful it would become, until I started reading books. My Sony PRS-650 arrived at the beginning of November and naturally I was eager to play, wanting to explore all the menu options - there so many - but to be candid, for a while I forgot this option existed.

One of the things that I really love about the Sony reader is the ability to look-up words in the selected dictionary, by double-tapping on the word - using the touch-screen. One of my interests is etymology (word derivation), consequently I use the dictionary often.

Sometimes it is helpful to have a list of all the words that have been looked up, for example if you are reading a book about a particular period of history. Word Logs provides a list of all the words that have been looked up in a particular book, or periodical, something that I find it incredibly useful.
OPTIONS -> Word Logs: Book/Periodical
By the way, I assume this feature is common to 350 and 950, could someone please confirm this? Does anyone one else find Word Logs useful?
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, the 950 also has the Word Log feature. It is something that Sony added to the menu options in the newest models. I really like it too. It is good as a refresher of what words I have looked up. It also gives me another chance to commit them to memory. I use the dictionary not just to look up word definitions but also details on peoples and places. I wish that you could export the list to save it to your computer like you can notes/highlights. Also, if you haven't noticed yet, be aware that it keeps a running log of only the last 100 words.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the details on people and places are useful. Are you saying the 950 has a user-friendly menu option, for exporting notes/highlights, or are you referring to the manual transferral of files? I didn't know about the 100-word limit. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Sony software can export notes from your ereader to an RTF file that you can save on your hard-drive. It would be nice if you could export the word log too.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
The Sony software can export notes from your ereader to an RTF file that you can save on your hard-drive. It would be nice if you could export the word log too.
What Sony software? I don't appear to have anything like that. Presumably it's something specific to the 950.

If you're referring to the Reader Library Software, then I haven't used it, because it's only available for Windows and Mac. Consequently, I haven't registered my reader with Sony, nor opened an e-book store account.

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-20-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Yes, I meant Reader Library.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:38 AM   #7
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Yes, I meant Reader Library.
Okay, I understand now, thanks. I use Linux Ubuntu; I keep meaning to boot Windows in that partition, in order to register my reader with Sony. If/when I do, I will experiment with the export feature. I know where the files are stored on the reader. Meanwhile, I will try to locate the word log file - it must be stored somewhere. It's a shame Sony doesn't support Linux.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
Okay, I understand now, thanks. I use Linux Ubuntu; I keep meaning to boot Windows in that partition, in order to register my reader with Sony. If/when I do, I will experiment with the export feature. I know where the files are stored on the reader. Meanwhile, I will try to locate the word log file - it must be stored somewhere. It's a shame Sony doesn't support Linux.
I understand. I have my computer partitioned for dual-boot. The Mac version of Sony software has only been around for a year. I used to have to run Reader Library on Windows too, and it was an inconvenience. I would guess the word logs are probably in an xml file somewhere on the ereader. I just haven't gone searching for them. If you find them, then let me know which file please.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
I understand. I have my computer partitioned for dual-boot. The Mac version of Sony software has only been around for a year. I used to have to run Reader Library on Windows too, and it was an inconvenience. I would guess the word logs are probably in an xml file somewhere on the ereader. I just haven't gone searching for them. If you find them, then let me know which file please.
Yes, of course. Meanwhile, here's some info about the location of Notes files:Also, see: Sony PRS-650 Folder/file storage structure hierarchy

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-23-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Thank you for posting those links!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I would guess the word logs are probably in an xml file somewhere on the ereader. I just haven't gone searching for them. If you find them, then let me know which file please.
Dictionary History is contained in the file [Drive:]\database\cache\cacheExt.xml on a per-book basis.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #12
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Dictionary History is contained in the file [Drive:]\database\cache\cacheExt.xml on a per-book basis.
Thank you for posting this information!

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-23-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:38 AM   #13
tscamera
Enthusiast
tscamera began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650 ... ipad
Lightbulb word logs for laymen, as i am....

i am doing it with
FILEMAKER (and troi-file-plugin!)
parsing the cacheExt.xml is easy...
if you are familiar with filemaker.

so, it is a work around.
maybe sometimes, somebody will write a standalone parser for this needs????

hopefully...
tscamera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony prs-650 word logs