Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
ann264
Enthusiast
ann264 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
I downloaded the Golden Allmine zip. Rename the file PE-GA-update.zip to update.zip
downloaded the other zip file and put it on a usb stick.
Followed the instucktion but the update did not run. Do I have to unzip the files first?
The PE started 3 times. Something was flickering in the right upper corner for a little while, then it says preparing USB storage, normal screen no backup data screen, nothing has happened. What do I do wrong? How does that updating screen looks like?
ann264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
First, what did you use to rename the files? If it was windows running in default mode you may have, in fact, update.zip.zip because windows hides the extensions to files unless you set it not to. This is a trap that many people fall into, not just with updating the PE.

You can check this by plugging the USB stick into your running PE and looking at it in the default file viewer - I'm not sure what that is in Dingo.

If it appears as update.zip.zip just rename it to update.zip and you should be able to update your PE.

Some people have reported problems with some USB sticks - especially large capacity ones but have managed to update by using another stick.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #18
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Edit: I wasn't seeing the last page when I wrote this! Oops! I see you've gone ahead with the update: Good for you!!

Important: Open (unzip) the Golden Allmine file first. It contains 2 files, one with instructions and one that becomes your update.zip. (This is my understanding from reading about it. I've never done it myself.)

End edit. Original post below.

Sorry about that!

I mean the one in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159872. I may have called it by the wrong name . This is the version put together by forum member pablob, which includes earlier versions (Allmine by ktwombley and the original enTourage beta, as well as some of the enhancements developed by javese).

I've been reading posts in this forum and its predecessor since Nov. 2010 and I tend to forget how confusing it might all seem to a newcomer! Please keep reading and asking questions. It is possible to ruin your device if you leap before looking.

By the way, although I fully intend to upgrade to the pablob version (because I think it is better) I have yet to do it. My own Pocket eDGe is running the enTourage beta Ermine. There are others here who have never updated beyond Dingo and are happy with that. It's entirely up to you. If you are still having problems with your camera and email you have a reason to update beyond wanting the newer Android.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Filark; 01-07-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #19
ann264
Enthusiast

Here I am again.
Yes I unzipt the Golden Allmine file first. After reading and preparing the USB I intended to update but that went like i write before.
No dubble zip.zip. When I have a look on my USBstick it looks like there are sum programs unpacked. More diretories now like META-INF, system and LOST.DIR
The update.zip has now lots of new zips.
What do I do best? My USB-stick is 4gb.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #20
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
do not unzip to meta and content. first zip is fine. use smaller 2gb or less USB or SD card.
if update fails will generate a log on the disk. please try again and report.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
ann264
Enthusiast

I only have USB sticks from 256mb, this one is to small. The other one is 8gb so even bigger.
I can do the hole thing once again, but I'm not convinced that go better.
So I download the files again and try again.
There was no log file on the stick.
Can anybody tel me were to download the other zip file the grap something?

Last edited by ann264; 01-08-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #22
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann264 View Post
I only have USB sticks from 256mb, this one is to small. The other one is 8gb so even bigger.
I can do the hole thing once again, but I'm not convinced that go better.
So I download the files again and try again.
Ann, if doing it again with the same USB stick does not work you could try the larger one. As I said before not all sticks work for some unexplained reason.

I don't know what it is like in Germany but here in France you can get 2 and 4 GB sticks for a few euro - in some shops they are given to you if you buy goods over a certain value, for example our printer consumables supplier put a handful in with our last order of toner cartridges.

Also some people on the forum have found they had to try several times before they made the upgrade work, again for unknown reasons.

The other thing is to hold down both buttons which usually means putting the PE on a table to be sure they are both held down with almost equal pressure. Also try holding them down longer than the usual recommended time - some PE's seem to need this.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #23
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

any luck for a micro sd from a old phone?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:15 AM   #24
Yivi
Shhh I'm reading...
Yivi began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe - iPad
Hi Ann264
Try this one
gapps.zip

Last edited by Yivi; 01-09-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Yivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #25
ann264
Enthusiast

Thanks Yivi
Old 01-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #26
vicinc
Guru

did it work?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #27
ann264
Enthusiast

Hi, yes yes it worked. I put the files on a other USB-stick (also 4gb) and it worked. I didn't do anything different from the last time.
My camera is working again. No error from K9 so far.
Have to get use to a verry different layout.
My next problem is how do I get rid of all that Google stuf. I don't want that. I also don't want to be followed by Google. It's all to pushie.
So how can I uninstal several things on my PE?

Last edited by ann264; 01-09-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #28
ivanjt
Guru

As I said all USB sticks are not created equal

Sorry I can't help with uninstalling google stuf - I don't have it on my EE.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #29
ann264
Enthusiast

Another question. Is there an antivirus program for PE? Do you need that?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #30
vicinc
Guru

no need for av if you install from the market. if you install only from kosher sources no need of antivirus. what do you mean about google following you? titanium back can uninstall things but can break things.