Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #196
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@theducks - what my check does is look for whether there are files in the ePub that are not listed in the .opf manifest. It doesn't look in the html files or stylesheet files at all.

So my assumption is that any file that is intended is part of your ePub should be listed in the manifest.

It would appear that whoever has authored those books from Feedbooks has decided that they do not consider it relevant to include their stylesheet in the manifest. I don't know the ePub specification to know whether this is "valid" or not. I know Valloric watches the spec pretty closely, so if Sigil treats these as "unused" it sounds like they should be. Or it could just be a bug, Sigil has plenty of those.

I know that ePubs will "work" without having files listed in the manifest, but of course this plugin is about identifying "less than ideal" scenarios. If in fact it is seen as an acceptable convention to not include .css files in the manifest then perhaps I have to make a special case exemption. Alternatively I could change finding such situations into a "warning" and just displaying in the log.

I welcome anyone's input on how these should be treated, if any differently than currently.
Thanks for your reply.
I figured Valloric would chime in sometime (he has a new job so his time is limited) or one of the other EPUB /CSS spec gurus.

I had 22 that showed, many Feedbooks (used the same stylesheet). Others I have been looking hard at some to figure out what is the file.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #197
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Lots of epubs in the wild have incomplete manifests, that's why calibre's conversion code adds referenced files to the manifest automatically. But that is probably way too much work for this plugin.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #198
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Lots of epubs in the wild have incomplete manifests, that's why calibre's conversion code adds referenced files to the manifest automatically. But that is probably way too much work for this plugin.
Thanks Kovid, that confirms my thoughts.

@theducks - you can use the Modify ePub plugin to add the stylesheets to your manifest (or Kovid's epub-fix utility). So that would prevent the files from repeatedly appearing when running Quality Check again. You can use the log that is produced when you run this Quality Check option to identify which files are unmanifested and hence whether you want to apply this approach, or if they are other files that can/should be deleted.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #199
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.5.4 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Fix the check for missing manifest files to fix for href names containing # in filenames
  • Add ePub check for iTunesArtwork to the existing iTunes check
  • Add ePub check for OS artifacts of .DS_Store and Thumbs.db
  • Add ePub check for non dc elements in opf manifest (from editing in Sigil or Calibre)
  • Add ePub check for html files larger than 260KB which may not work on some devices
  • Increase the amount and formatting quality of the logging for more ePub checks
Old 06-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #200
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Any idea why the TOC check is flagging what appear to be good TOCs?

For example this toc.ncx:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE ncx PUBLIC "-//NISO//DTD ncx 2005-1//EN" "http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx-2005-1.dtd">
<ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1" xml:lang="en">
<head>
<meta name="dtb:uid" content="9781407066790"/>
<meta name="dtb:depth" content="1"/>
<meta name="dtb:totalPageCount" content="0"/>
<meta name="dtb:maxPageNumber" content="0"/>
</head>
<docTitle>
<text>A Briefer History of Time</text>
</docTitle>
<navMap>
<navPoint id="ncx1" playOrder="1"> <navLabel><text>Cover</text></navLabel><content src="001 - Cover.xhtml"/></navPoint>
<navPoint id="ncx2" playOrder="2"> <navLabel><text>Title</text></navLabel><content src="002 - Title.xhtml"/></navPoint>

<navPoint id="ncx23" playOrder="23"> <navLabel><text>Index</text></navLabel><content src="025 - Index.xhtml"/></navPoint>
</navMap>
</ncx>
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 04:39 AM   #201
kiwidude

@capnm - this happens when the ncx file is either not present in the manifest, or it is there but has the wrong media type.

I will push a new release which both increases the logging so you can see when no ncx file is found. I will also be a bit more "forgiving" when trying to identify the ncx file when it comes to the media type.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:46 AM   #202
kiwidude

v1.5.5 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Improve the logging for the ePub TOC check to display when no NCX found
  • Be more flexible when identifying NCX file to allow for incorrect media type
Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #203
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Should this pass your "more forgiving" test?

<manifest>
<item href="toc.ncx" id="ncx" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

It seems to be a popular media type for toc.ncx
Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #204
kiwidude

Nope, that would be yet another variant I will cater for.

This is the media-type that most epubs use:
application/x-dtbncx+xml

I think I am going to just go back to my original implementation (never released) which ignored media type - it might not be "PC" but it will give better coverage.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #205
kiwidude

v1.5.6 Released

Changes in this release:
  • No longer look in manifest for NCX file, look for physical file instead to get around media-type variant issues
Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #206
capnm
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I think I am going to just go back to my original implementation (never released) which ignored media type - it might not be "PC" but it will give better coverage.

I'd vote for that.

I guess it depends on what people want to use this for.

I'm just looking for files that won't have a useful toc in a reader (which are pretty forgiving).
I don't really care if the toc follows spec (and neither do some publishers, I guess ), as long as it works.

Edit:
I blinked. You released. Wow!

Last edited by capnm; 06-08-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #207
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
With Kiwidude's it is best to only blink one eye at a time or you will miss things.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #208
capnm
Groupie

Did the idea of checking series stuff fizzle out?

I'm looking (I think) for an easy way to identify those books that are part of a series where I have more than one. (Or conversely, books that are the only book present in a series, which is easier to explain, and serves the same purpose).

Of course what I'm really after is a way to only put series information on my reader (Sony collections) when I have more than one book in the series on the reader (to manage collections clutter).

What trying now is a custom column (#device_series).
I connect my device, swap books in & out, then restrict my view to books on the device.
Then I can use my MK1 eyeball to select all the series with multiple books, do a bulk metadata search/replace to copy the series info to the custom column, and the automatic metadata manager takes care of the rest.

That seems to work ok, but I'd like to get the temperamental MK1 eyeball selector out of the loop ...
Or, maybe there's a much easier path to my destination???
Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #209
kiwidude

@capnm - sounds like doing things the "hard way" to me

The Quality Check plugin has a check for duplicate series - that is as far as I intend to take it at this point.

I don't know anything about the Sony, but metadata plugboards are the usual approach to adding series information. I suggest you ask in the main forums (or we move these two posts into a new thread).
Old 06-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #210
capnm
Groupie

Okay, I'll think on it some more. The problem is plugboards/templates only act on one book at a time, while I want to look at the book in the context of [a subset of] the entire library.
Which is why I was thinking I could twist an "orphan series" check to serve my purposes as well.

By the way - the Duplicate Series Check had an added bonus for me -- I found a bunch of duplicate books that slipped by Find Duplicates

What I really should do is stop playing with all your nifty tools and get back to my reading list