Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #76
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Just guessing, but I think it will be different language support, but then they could put European and US together.
If I'm right, US should be smallest (english, french and spanish)
Weird, as there isn't much need for that, perhaps different defaults but that shouldn't make much difference in size, I didn't notice anything missing in general and other then keyboards/interface language/dictionaries which all seem present their greatest 'support for many languages' shtick is just unicode.

A point for that is also that the firmware updates for arabic and hebrew which need a bit extra for different reading direction are suppose to be in taken from the NA version.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #77
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
Weird, as there isn't much need for that, perhaps different defaults but that shouldn't make much difference in size, I didn't notice anything missing in general and other then keyboards/interface language/dictionaries which all seem present their greatest 'support for many languages' shtick is just unicode.

A point for that is also that the firmware updates for arabic and hebrew which need a bit extra for different reading direction are suppose to be in taken from the NA version.
The Text-to-Speech stuff is large in size, and you can only have four languages installed at a time. That's probably the biggest limitation to trying to support the whole world with one firmware image.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 03:03 AM   #78
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
The Text-to-Speech stuff is large in size, and you can only have four languages installed at a time. That's probably the biggest limitation to trying to support the whole world with one firmware image.
Definitely, only I thought it didn't come into play.
Every time i updated the firmware, it kept those i installed.
Maybe it just doesn't overwrite user choices, but it seems to me a single TTS file is about the size of a firmware update so even with compression 4 wouldn't fit.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #79
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Definitely, only I thought it didn't come into play.
Every time i updated the firmware, it kept those i installed.
Maybe it just doesn't overwrite user choices, but it seems to me a single TTS file is about the size of a firmware update so even with compression 4 wouldn't fit.
I hadn't thought of that (that the TTS files might come factory installed along with the books). You're probably right. The SWUPDATE.BIN file is about 200MB and probably isn't compressed (since it compresses by a factor of two in the zip file). The root and ebrmain filesystems take up less space than 200MB, so something is going into /mnt/secure. Maybe it's the dictionaries, which might be licensed by PocketBook separately for different geographic regions.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #80
tomhck
Enthusiast
tomhck began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
working card

PB 902, working micro sd card: Apacer, 8GB, class 4 (AP8GMCSH4-R)
tomhck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #81
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhck View Post
PB 902, working micro sd card: Apacer, 8GB, class 4 (AP8GMCSH4-R)
thansk Tom, I have amended the top message.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #82
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

amended with link to how to download and convert dictionaries.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #83
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Thank you for this thread. I just ordered a PB360 today and am gathering information for how to best set up my new baby when it comes.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:32 AM   #84
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Thank you for this thread. I just ordered a PB360 today and am gathering information for how to best set up my new baby when it comes.

bear in mind, though, that this is mainly for the new models - I suspect many features are similar, but I am not sure. I will find out soon, though, as I also just ordered a PB360 (much easier for the beach than the PB903, and a very sweet price at £99 ), and I am studying for that one: I would suggest you start from this excellent thread by Kacir, and get the themes for PB360 from this thread.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:54 AM   #85
J.C.
Addict

Anyone knows if there is a way to stop the registration nagging ?
Its my feeling that there is no point in registering to 'receive support' when they can't even bother to properly translate and maintain their various web-sites, let alone buying books through their store.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #86
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Anyone knows if there is a way to stop the registration nagging ?
Its my feeling that there is no point in registering to 'receive support' when they can't even bother to properly translate and maintain their various web-sites, let alone buying books through their store.
I do not think I had this problem, or if I did it didn't last long and I cannot remember how I solved it, but hopefully you will find a solution here.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #87
J.C.
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I do not think I had this problem, or if I did it didn't last long and I cannot remember how I solved it, but hopefully you will find a solution here.
Thats for people who want to register, I just want to avoid the nagging not give in and register.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #88
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Thats for people who want to register, I just want to avoid the nagging not give in and register.
I am afraid I do not know how - but they must have changed something, as I am pretty sure I never had a registration icon in the menu - which instead appears here. They also mention firmware update, but that should work regardless of bookland, could you do that (i.e. update the firmware) with your PB?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #89
J.C.
Addict

Sure, updated it a couple of times already.

Edit: Nice to see that they have an English faq up now, I still have the registration icon not the favorites.

Edit 2: Seeing that they bothered to put up an English faq I've decided to give up and register, still I doubt very much I'll be buying anything before they really improve their act.

Having a non stopping registration nag is coarse and blatant abuse of a customer, a customer shouldn't be forced to register just to stop it, we bought the device its not a piece of shareware we need to be reminded we are using for free.

Last edited by J.C.; 04-16-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #90
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Having a non stopping registration nag is coarse and blatant abuse of a customer, a customer shouldn't be forced to register just to stop it, we bought the device its not a piece of shareware we need to be reminded we are using for free.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Leave the icon, but get rid of the nagging after three tries. Some of us don't have WiFi, and can't register even if we wanted to. Making us say "No!' over and over does no good; only bad. At some point, it goes beyond the point of no return.