Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Gink
Gink began at the beginning.

Device: iphone4
Most versatile inexpensive eReader or tablet

Hello, been looking at eReaders and Android Tablets for a few days in an attempt to find an inexpensive but decent one for a gift. All I've managed to do is confuse myself thoroughly.

Not looking for anything too fancy, unfortunately price is a key point, trying to stay under $150. I started looking at ereaders exclusively, then realized the android tablet market offered things like 7" screens, color, and the ability to have apps for similar or lower prices to ereaders with 5" not color screens.

Main things I need is a decent ebook reader, obviously. Most of my library is in epub, txt, lit, pdb or pdf. I use Calibre though, so most conversion isn't a big deal. I'd love to find something that could handle cbr/cbz decently, I've read that they convert to mobi alright, so I guess mobi would be a plus.

So I guess any tips as to the cheapest device that works alright would be appreciated. I'm currently leaning somewhat towards the $100 Maylong M-150, but am trying to do some more comparisons.

Thanks.
Gink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Pocketbook IQ is only $150, and has nice features plus build quality.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Gink

Thanks, don't think I've looked at that one much yet, I'll check it out. It seems like there's a lot of stuff right around $100 right now, so I started there.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
Pandigital Novel is another good solution. You can get it from Kohl's when they do their monthly 30% off coupon and then you'll get it for less than $100. You can very, very easily put a normal android os on it and use a number of different ereader apps.
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Gink

Nice! I've liked the look of the Novel, but didn't think it was as versatile for the price. Good to know about switching the OS, I'll have to keep an eye out for that 30% off coupon.
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
AHMavrick
Enthusiast
AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Newegg has the Jetbook lite for $90 right now.
AHMavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Gink

Looks like I waited too long on the Pandigital. Almost ordered from Kohls, but could only come up with a 20% off coupon code. This morning they are no longer available there. Bummer. Have to keep looking for a deal.

------update------

Signed up for Bed Bath Beyond email list, received 20% off in-store coupon. Picked up Pandigital Novel for $135 after coupon, plus they have a $20 mail-in rebate going. So $115, not terrible.

Last edited by Gink; 12-01-2010 at 03:53 PM.