Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #211
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
Its really just a big ipod touch which doesn't cut it for me.
Yeah, that's exactly what it is. It's a 10" ipod touch.

Quote:
It'll still be very rough to get a eReader device sold for more than this one is priced at for non hardcore readers which is a big portion of the market.
Most people in the eInk market are already getting eInk because they don't want to use an LCD notebook/tablet for reading. The iPad is an LCD notebook/tablet. Non hardcore readers will be a big portion of the iPad market, but hardcore readers pretty much IS the eReader market.

What amused me were all the people who were claiming it was the best device ever. They didn't even know anything about it at the time (neither what it did or what it was), they just knew that it was the best device ever. Now that they know what it does, they think it'll kill every other device that does anything even remotely similar. Gotta love Apple marketing.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #212
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Hopefully, the iPad will help bring device prices down, since choosing a $400-$450 DR800SG knowing that the jesus-tablet is at $500 does make one wonder if one is overpaying. If Amazon lowers their Kindle DX price, then IREX may feel some pressure to lower theirs. Certainly the $800 Que with wifi + 3G seems a little overpriced with the iPad wifi + 3G at $629. But frankly, can device-only makers like IREX compete price-wise with companies like Apple or Amazon who can sustain their lower margins with multiple sources of income? I hate this, but it looks like I have to wait for the industry to settle down a bit before I can purchase a reader.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #213
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
Only if the Irex DR800SG has a 10 hour battery life like the iPad. The iPad doesn't impress me, but I'm sure the Apple fanbois are all over it.

Etienne66
Do you really think the DR800 will have that much battery life?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #214
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Do you really think the DR800 will have that much battery life?
Initial reports from people who have a DR800S show that it's already well past that and still going.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #215
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
I hate this, but it looks like I have to wait for the industry to settle down a bit before I can purchase a reader.
It's a never ending cycle though. If you wait until this generation settles down... guess what... the next generation is right around the corner, so you might as well wait until that one settles down. rinse. repeat.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #216
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
It's a never ending cycle though. If you wait until this generation settles down... guess what... the next generation is right around the corner, so you might as well wait until that one settles down. rinse. repeat.
Very true. The pace of change is getting every faster. At some point you just need to jump in after assessing whether a device meets your needs. It's a given that a better (faster, smaller, bigger, better battery, etc.) device will be available within 3 months of any purchase.

Looking at the iPad, it's pretty much exactly what I was expecting and at the same time, rather underwhelming from my perspective. I'm sure they're going to sell a ton of them, but it seems like the competition is more of the netbook market. It will certainly be interesting to see how things shake out.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #217
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I'm more concerned with the current high prices than anything else. The available readers are rather expensive given the rather old technology within them (barebone OS, low resolution e-paper displays, weak hardware, low storage). Seeing the shiny new ipad come at a shockingly okay price (it's cheaper than an unsubsidized iphone), I think prices can come down much more.

Imagine swapping the display of the ipad with e-ink... that 1GHz cpu and likely 512MB-1GB of ram will tear through the most complex vector-filled PDFs that would stall the current crop of 400MHz freescale 64-128MB e-ink readers.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #218
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Hopefully, the iPad will help bring device prices down, since choosing a $400-$450 DR800SG knowing that the jesus-tablet is at $500 does make one wonder if one is overpaying. If Amazon lowers their Kindle DX price, then IREX may feel some pressure to lower theirs. Certainly the $800 Que with wifi + 3G seems a little overpriced with the iPad wifi + 3G at $629. But frankly, can device-only makers like IREX compete price-wise with companies like Apple or Amazon who can sustain their lower margins with multiple sources of income? I hate this, but it looks like I have to wait for the industry to settle down a bit before I can purchase a reader.
Shouldn't it be the Moses-Tablet? It is amazing that Steve Jobs didn't have Charleston Heston walk out in robes presenting the world with the iPad!
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #219
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Jesus Phone and Moses Tablet... I like the sound of that.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:20 AM   #220
steffi
Enthusiast
steffi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
That would be truly impressive indeed given that he's dead already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulckennedy View Post
Shouldn't it be the Moses-Tablet? It is amazing that Steve Jobs didn't have Charleston Heston walk out in robes presenting the world with the iPad!
steffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #221
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffi View Post
That would be truly impressive indeed given that he's dead already.

I am so used to his NRA junk that I thought he was still around.

If he was around I definately would not have put it past Steve Jobs.

Charleston Heston rest in peace.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #222
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Exclamation Available on Best Buy's Website. Again. Almost.

Over on the Irex Forum someone pointed out that the Irex is showing on Best Buy's website again.

But it is "Sold Out Online."

Etienne66

Last edited by etienne66; 01-29-2010 at 11:34 AM.
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #223
badbob001
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
Over on the Irex Forum someone pointed out that the Irex is showing on Best Buy's website again.

But it is "Sold Out Online."
Price is $399. Head implodes from trying to make sense in the sudden rationality.

But we'll see. Irex can tease more than deliver.