Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2007, 11:40 PM   #1
Elltrain
Elltrain began at the beginning.

Extended Warranty question.

Hi guys,

I have seen in a few threads now people mentioning an "extended warranty" through sony. Can someone give me a link to more details on this? I am bringing my reader with me -everywhere- these days, and quite a lot of the time in my backpack. So, I am really interested in picking this up.

Thanks,
Robert
Elltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I'd suggest that you also invest the very reasonable amount ($10 I think) in a pouch such as the Nintendo DS case which was mentioned in the Accessories sub-forum, for protection when it's simply sitting in your backpack. I'm going to look into that when I go on vacation, and may well look into a different type of pouch which might have room for a rigid case along with the power supply, all in a single pouch.

Extended warranties are great if you actually need them, just as with any insurance, but they are a waste of money if you never need them. Every extended warranty I've been silly enough to waste my money on has expired long before the equipment had a problem.

If the companies couldn't make a hefty profit on them, they wouldn't offer them, so be sure that it will be a good balance of cost/benefit for you.

As a suggestion, you might start a thread which asks how many people on this have broken their Readers, how much the repairs have cost (if they weren't covered by waranty) and ask those who have responded 'yes' to tell you how their Readers broke.

You may find that they are indeed rugged enough to survive backpack travel as long as you take a few inexpensive precautions.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
Elltrain

Well, I generally do buy the extended warranties. Over time they have more than paid for themselves (for me). I was just looking for info about the sony one specifically.

From what I read, the screen is not durable. It has lots of problems with bending -- hell, some people have broken it just re-installing the leather cover.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elltrain
From what I read, the screen is not durable. It has lots of problems with bending -- hell, some people have broken it just re-installing the leather cover.
huh. I don't think we've had anyone report that here ....

Of course the fact that around here we've been aware of, and touting, the best known method for attaching the covers without damaging the screen since late September may have something to do with it. We've also been rather obsessed with carrying cases after witnessing the sufferings of our iLiadite brethren and their significantly more fragile screens (mostly 'cause they're bigger, but there you go).

The display is easily the the least physically robust part of the Reader, but it's not that hard to keep from messing it up. All it takes is reasonable attention to what you're doing with it. And a good carrying case doesn't hurt.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:19 AM   #5
Elltrain

Well I would like the warranty anyway -- can someone point me in a direction where I can buy it?
Old 05-19-2007, 02:26 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Can't say that I've read that myself.

The Reader's screen is, I think, as durable as one could reasonably expect it to be. It's a rigid plastic which is pretty resilient to scratches, etc. Certainly a lot more durable than delicate touch-sensitive screens.

I would imagine it would have "problems" with bending. The answer is simple - don't bend it!

Mine lives permanently in its leather case, which gives good protection.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Well I would like the warranty anyway -- can someone point me in a direction where I can buy it?
I think you have to buy it directly from Sony, I don't have one, so I'm not sure ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
gbaker
gbaker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Iiitrain,
Did you ever find out about the sony reader extended warranty and/or
how and where to contact. I'm with you in wanting one unless they're just
outlandishly expensive.
Thank You,
Biff
gbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elltrain View Post
I purchases my warranty at time of purchase from the Sony store. I don't know if you can buy one after the fact, although I don't see why not. I just don't know where you would go at this point in time unless directly at Sony...... maybe check their websight and see if there is any info there about it.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I don't have the link here and didn't find it in a quick view of the web site. I remember checking into it after I got my Reader at Boarders and if I remember correctly it had to be purchased within so many days of the Reader and it was already after that time for me.

I keep the Reader in the original case at all times and use "The Pouch" for taking the Reader out of the house.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote