Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Possibly dumb question: is ADE the same as Epub?

I found some ebooks on Powells.com that I can't find anywhere else but want. They're availabe as 'Adobe Digital Editions' but I can't work out for the life of me if that's epub, pdf, or some other format. Or both? Does anyone know?
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:59 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It could be either ePub or PDF - both use ADE for encryption. All that I can really suggest is that you ask the bookstore which of the two formats it is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In most ebook stores "Adobe Digital Editions" means PDF. Powells.com makes it even more confusing by using "Adobe Digital Editions ePub" and "Adobe Digital Editions ACS4". It appears that the ACS4's are PDFs. In general, if it does not say ePub assume PDF.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
In most ebook stores "Adobe Digital Editions" means PDF. Powells.com makes it even more confusing by using "Adobe Digital Editions ePub" and "Adobe Digital Editions ACS4". It appears that the ACS4's are PDFs. In general, if it does not say ePub assume PDF.
"ACS4" is "Adobe Content Server v4", which is the current release of Adobe's DRM server. That alone, though, is no help in knowing what the format is, since ACS4 can "serve up" both ePub and PDF files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"ACS4" is "Adobe Content Server v4", which is the current release of Adobe's DRM server. That alone, though, is no help in knowing what the format is, since ACS4 can "serve up" both ePub and PDF files.
I went back and searched around and finally found the 'ACS4' specification at the bottom of a page, so it's PDF, which is annoying. I wouldn't even have known what it was if someone hadn't mentioned that term.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I agree 100% with wallcraft. If you do not see the eBook being called ePub, assume it's not and move on. I've never seen ePub no called ePub. But PDF can be called all kinds of incorrect things.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree that Powells isn't using a sensible name for these ebooks, I have no idea why they don't just say PDF. I spot checked a couple of "ACS4" titles at a search site, and they were PDFs.

As another example, Books on Board uses "Adobe Digital Editions" and "Adobe ePub". They say that "Adobe Digital Editions" might either be PDF or ePub (i.e. the publishers don't distinguish the format), but in my experience it is always PDF.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote