Notices

Old 04-19-2006, 04:59 AM   #1
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Sony DRM: e-books can be read on up to 6 different devices

Question
What are your Digital Rights Management (DRM) Business Rules?

Answer
We will offer titles on a pay-to-own basis - similar to the way a user expects to purchase and own other digital media today. The user will have the option to purchase this content and read it on up to 6 different activated devices (PCs or Readers).

http://connect.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...i=&p_topview=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony's DRM_rules.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1056  
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:42 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Good find!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:52 AM   #3
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKir
We will offer titles on a pay-to-own basis - similar to the way a user expects to purchase and own other digital media today. The user will have the option to purchase this content and read it on up to 6 different activated devices
I find it interesting that Pro-DRM companies like to use the term "own" to describe the relationship between the product and the person who pays money for it.

I own my car, so I can drive it anywhere, let anyone use it or sell it to someone else.
I own many books, so I can read them anywhere, let people borrow them or sell them to someone else.

But I cannot do those things with DRMed media. Therefore I do not own them. I lease them from the content controller.

So Sony's blurb should read:
"We will offer titles on a lease basis - similar to the way a user expects to purchase and own other digital media today. We will permit the user who paid us money to lease this content and read it on up to 6 different activated devices. We reserve the right to change this contract at any time without notification or compensation to the user."
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:16 AM   #4
jerrywojo
Connoisseur
jerrywojo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKir
Question
What are your Digital Rights Management (DRM) Business Rules?

Answer
We will offer titles on a pay-to-own basis - similar to the way a user expects to purchase and own other digital media today. The user will have the option to purchase this content and read it on up to 6 different activated devices (PCs or Readers).

http://connect.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...i=&p_topview=1

1st post here....

The word "activated" is vague. A book on six devices simultaneously or a book than can be read on six different type's of devices (?). Will my devices need to be authorized? I'll go read the faq....

Actually I think Sony is gearing its faq answers and policies toward a mainstream customer than a techie. Techies see right through the DRM charade and Sony knows this,(maybe).

Industry watchers know the flim-flam game of DRM but ask Joe Average what DRM is and you'll get a blank stare. This is what Sony and other DRM advocates are counting on...the blank stare. But than again does Joe Average know what a e-book is?
jerrywojo is offline   Reply With Quote