Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #301
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I don't know what is going on there (I don't care about screensavers), but just a hint: restarting the framework from within JBPatch only restarts the Java-based part of the UI. It is *not* the same as a full device reboot - in particular, it doesn't affect other native services.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #302
Pepin33
Zealot
Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I don't know what is going on there (I don't care about screensavers), but just a hint: restarting the framework from within JBPatch only restarts the Java-based part of the UI. It is *not* the same as a full device reboot - in particular, it doesn't affect other native services.
I first restarted using Kindle's "restart" option. But it had no effect (the screensaver didn't work). So I did it from JBPatch, and it began working (not OK, but at least, it worked).

Also, when restarting from JBPatch, it appears a message at bottom of the screen saying that it's looking for new screensavers, so I think this restart option works for screensavers patch.
Pepin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #303
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@dirgeon: That's entirely doable. It just adds another crapload of processing time to the process, but it's fairly easy to do . Will look into it.

@Pepin33: What ixtab said. The hack *needs* a full restart to catch some stuff. It also needs a varying amount of time to process the cover of a new book, which is why you're experiencing some inconsistencies in current book open vs. cover used as current screensaver.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #304
Pepin33
Zealot
Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Pepin33: What ixtab said. The hack *needs* a full restart to catch some stuff. It also needs a varying amount of time to process the cover of a new book, which is why you're experiencing some inconsistencies in current book open vs. cover used as current screensaver.
Yeah, I know about the time to process. But I was for more than 2 hours reading a book (the same), and the screensaver was the cover of the first book I opened after installing the patch. Then, after 3 or 4 switch OFF, it changes to the second one. But it never changes to the cover of the book that I was reading for a long time (I think it will change when I will end the book).

Last edited by Pepin33; 01-18-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #305
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Pepin33: You could follow what happens over SSH through showlog -f for more details, but I'm guessing something's not quite right on your side.

(Wrong date/time, broken catalog db, missing covers, funky files, ...).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-18-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: *sigh* proper command name this time ;)
Advert
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #306
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Snorkledorf: Implemented in the next version (black trigger file => black borders)

@dirgeon: Implemented in the next version, as a 10% height semi-opaque overlay at the bottom of the screen. (Only in cover mode, because that's the only mode that actually does image processing, and with a cache, because it really takes a crapload of time to generate the banner. Relies on word-wrapping instead of honoring \n, it was generating unreadable stuff when trying to mash >2 lines in 60px . pinfo trigger file).

I'll probably release it in a few days, I'm waiting for a few other things first .
Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #307
dirgeon
dirgeon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
@dirgeon: Implemented in the next version, as a 10% height semi-opaque overlay at the bottom of the screen.
I'll probably release it in a few days, I'm waiting for a few other things first .
Wow. Just... wow!!
dirgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #308
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Huh. Further proof that I'm awful at maths: it's actually a banner with a height measuring 10% of the *width*, not of the height. (ie. 600x60 for 600x800 screens, 758x76 for 758x1024 screens).

>_<".

(It's late, I'm rambling. Don't mind me ^^).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-18-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #309
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Quote:
@Snorkledorf: Implemented in the next version (black trigger file => black borders)
Sweet, thanks!
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:03 AM   #310
Pepin33
Zealot

Quote:
@Pepin33: You could follow what happens over SSH through showlog -f for more details, but I'm guessing something's not quite right on your side.

(Wrong date/time, broken catalog db, missing covers, funky files, ...).
I was trying another books, and I think that the problem is just with a concrete book. It has cover, and it is showed at the main menu and when I open the book, but for some reason, screensavers hack doesn't like this cover, and doesn't use it, so the image it shows is that from the previous book I opened.

Thanks for your help, NiLuJe.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #311
Jackie7
Enthusiast
Jackie7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Stupid question: I have a 2012 (black) kindle, but it's neither the paperwhite, not the touch version, do I now have to apply the K5 or K4 screensaver hack? Already tried the K4 method (without jailbreak), and I cannot seem to update the firmware.
Jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #312
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@Jackie7: K4. And you do need to jailbreak first.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #313
Arhu
Arhu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Firstly, thanks so much for this tool. Secondly,

Quote:
And the two white bars on the side are an artifact of keeping the aspect ratio . That said, it should more or less look the same as the 'Go To > Cover' in the reader .

@7hir7een: To be perfectly honest, I kept the aspect ratio intact partly because that's what the reader does, but mostly because I abhor looking at stuff that doesn't respect AR .
I don't like wrong AR either, but I also prefer not to have bars at the side. Is there a way to crop a piece of the top and bottom and then scale the image to fit the screen? I think the correct term is "zoom". That would be great!
Arhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #314
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Arhu: Implemented in the next version (autocrop trigger file).
Old 01-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #315
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v0.7.N, with the aforementioned new features (check the changelog for details) . (And Python v0.3.N, with updated binaries).

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch