Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Patuba
Patuba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Software recommendations for making Kindle book

Hi everyone. I am going to be making a eBook of a text book a friend wrote. I worked on it for about 10 hours this weekend and didn't get very far. Unfortunately, he has the book in PDF format which doesn't convert to Kindle very well. I have found a way to extract the Text from the PDFs but haven't found a good way of formatting the book for the Kindle.

I tired MS Word but I know it generates junky HTML code so I didn't waste much time on that. I've downloaded Jutoh, Sigil but have found it doesn't work very well for the book I'm trying to make. I find the biggest problem is formatting for the Kindle, page breaks don't work very well, sentences are on different pages when viewing in Kindle for PC then they are in the WYSIWIG editor.

I have read the Wiki on this site, and although it has helped some I am still really frustrated with trying to make a Kindle book. Can anyone recommend a good software package/WYSIWIG program that I can format this book in? If not, can you provide either a good web-site or thread that has more information on this?

I'm surprised how hard formatting a book for Kindle can be and how little Amazon has for support/reference material.

Thanks.
Patuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
You get good results with mobipocket creator, but you need HTML first - I found kompoZer to be a good editor, you get WYSIWIG and plain HTML editor on one.

There are some special HTML codes Mobipocket uses to create pagebreaks etc.

If you need more help, I can provide links etc. later on...
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patuba View Post
I tired MS Word but I know it generates junky HTML code so I didn't waste much time on that. I've downloaded Jutoh, Sigil but have found it doesn't work very well for the book I'm trying to make. I find the biggest problem is formatting for the Kindle, page breaks don't work very well, sentences are on different pages when viewing in Kindle for PC then they are in the WYSIWIG editor.
You will never get that much control over an ebook because you have no way of knowing what font and text size, leading, margins, etc the reader is using. Page breaks can be controlled by using
< m b p : p a g e b r e a k / >
in the html, but that is about the extent of your control.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Patuba

Thanks for the information. Wow, this can be frustrating!!! I'll keep hacking away and try to find a way that works.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
bear4hunter is correct you should get good results there. Another place to look is Open Office.org. Open Office is a free competition to Microsoft Office and is quite a bit better then Microsoft and is getting better than that. Open Office does quite well at generating HTML and PDF.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
garrybuck
Connoisseur
garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

How elaborately do you intend to format the thing? If it's just a bunch-'o-text, you could dump it into any text editor, do whatever minor cleanup you want, then run it through MobiPocket Creator and be done with it.

Keep in mind if you're creating flowable text, WYSIWYG no longer has any real meaning. The user can change font size on all Kindles, and screen orientation on the newer ones. What-they-see-is-not-what-you-made.
garrybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Hi everyone. I am going to be making a eBook of a text book a friend wrote. I worked on it for about 10 hours this weekend and didn't get very far. Unfortunately, he has the book in PDF format which doesn't convert to Kindle very well. I have found a way to extract the Text from the PDFs but haven't found a good way of formatting the book for the Kindle.
Hmm... sounds a bit strange. Can't your "friend" provide you with the source of their book? Most people don't work in tools that edit PDF files.. they work in Word or other type program and then save the document in word.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Open Office.org
Or LibreOffice.org
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Patuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrybuck View Post
How elaborately do you intend to format the thing? If it's just a bunch-'o-text, you could dump it into any text editor, do whatever minor cleanup you want, then run it through MobiPocket Creator and be done with it.

Keep in mind if you're creating flowable text, WYSIWYG no longer has any real meaning. The user can change font size on all Kindles, and screen orientation on the newer ones. What-they-see-is-not-what-you-made.
It has some images and graphs to be made into images so I need to format around that. Plus, when I got the text from the PDFs a lot of the paragraphs look bad. Some lines end premature when they could still go on. Some paragraphs have ran on, etc.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
Patuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmm... sounds a bit strange. Can't your "friend" provide you with the source of their book? Most people don't work in tools that edit PDF files.. they work in Word or other type program and then save the document in word.

BOb
I know the book layout was done with Quark. I'm not sure what program he wrote the text in. He is on a Mac so I don't know if he used Word or something else.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I know the book layout was done with Quark. I'm not sure what program he wrote the text in. He is on a Mac so I don't know if he used Word or something else.
I would ask him if he has a text based format that he could save it too. Most word processor and software (even on a Mac) will save to Html which would be much easier to covert into ePub using Sigil or similar.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
If you can get access to the Quark file(s) and a copy of Quark 9 (maybe the 30 trial would work), it has an export to ePub function. Not sure how good the resultant ePub is, but it has to be better than something exported from a PDF. Once a good ePub is made (using Sigil to edit if necessary, or hand editing) using KindleGen/Kindle Previewer should get you a nice mobi file for use on the Kindle.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
Patuba

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I have decided just to export the Text from the PDF, then edit the entire thing by hand in HTML format with Notepad++. So far, it seems to be working pretty good, tedious, but at least it works good. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
PDF to Epub is a good program. It can convert PDF files to epub, HTML or Kindle files.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #15
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Have a look at the Atlantis Word Processor or at Jutoh or at Sigil. Prepare the book as an ePub first and get it looking right. Then convert it to mobi for Kindle using Jutoh or Calibre. I use Jutoh every month to convert a journal into the various ebook formats.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote