Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quick Readers

I love to read and as a consequence go through a lot of books a month. So much that paying for books per month is a better idea for me then paying per novel as most of the public generaly does. My question is this - do you know of a book service that sells books per month, in other words I pay a monthly fee and get all of the eelctronic novels I want for that month?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, but why don't you have a go at the public domain classics? Enough reading there to last a lifetime.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
or find cheaper books. i used the kobo discount codes for at least 12-13 books that ended up being free because of the promo, on book 6 of that bunch. there's plenty of reading to be had and at bargain prices.
now if your books are very pricy then i see your problem, maybe buy only 1 book that carries a hefty price tag and try to find cheaper reads.

plus there are ton of books available from authors right here on MR that are free or usually $2.99 or less that are great reads as well.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
do you know of a book service that sells books per month, in other words I pay a monthly fee and get all of the eelctronic novels I want for that month?
There is no such service and sites claiming to offer this are either offering pirated versions or selling "access" to already free places like Manybooks and Feedbooks.

As Harry says, there's always the classics. Lots of wonderful stuff to be found in all genres there.

Also, I don't know where you are, but you could see if your public library offers ebook downloads (or sign up someplace that does non-resident sign ups for an annual fee like the Free Library of Philidelphia).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Like you, I go through a lot of books (sci fi and fantasy) in a month.

I did download some classic sci fi, but not a lot available.

Bur I do download a lot of free ebooks from new and established authors, usually from recommendations in this forum. Because I use an Android reading device, I can access multiple formats and free deals.

I do buy some ebooks, but only from authors I enjoy and only when priced fairly.

Last edited by ebusinesstutor; 05-07-2011 at 12:10 PM.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Where I live public library ebooks are free although you can only download so many at a time. Amazon, Sony etc. have quite a few free ebooks and are easy to get.
Classics are good, but everything free and over 100 years old is not a classic and perhaps not entertaining, or even informative. Perhaps I should reread Shakespeare for the forth time or Dickens, but they do not grow on me. Character flaw I guess.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, but why don't you have a go at the public domain classics? Enough reading there to last a lifetime.
Yes, there is probably enough reading there for a lifetime, UNLESS you like science fiction.

Then, the selection is somewhat limited.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
Yes, there is probably enough reading there for a lifetime, UNLESS you like science fiction.

Then, the selection is somewhat limited.
I like science fiction, but I read other things, too. Liking a particular genre doesn't necessarily imply that it's all that one reads. What I do myself is to buy the Baen "Webscription" release every month, and then "fill in" with classics.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-06-2011 at 12:29 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker

Science fiction and fantasy is my primary reading. I do a lot of reading for my speaking business on things like Internet marketing, social media and time management. And for my hobbies on things like astronomy and photography.

But most of these aren't that well represented on classic public domain ebooks either.

Fortunately there are a lot of good free and low cost ebooks for my favorite genres - many of which I find from this forum
Old 05-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
If your local library doesn't do ebooks, wouldn't Philadelphia Free Library or the Singapore Library suit your needs?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:44 AM   #11
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
hmm nope, but perhaps in the future someone would try that
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote