Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi or 3G+WiFi?
Wi-Fi Only 205 53.11%
Wi-Fi+3G 181 46.89%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2010, 12:11 AM   #166
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenRunner View Post
If both 3G and Wi-Fi connections are available, Wi-Fi will be used. 3G is only used if no Wi-Fi connection is available.

Also, you can't manually turn on 3G independently of Wi-Fi. They're turned on and off together.
Now that's what I wanted to know - thanks!
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:21 AM   #167
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
The K3 will default to a Wi-Fi connection but you have to accept an available network and connect to it first. So you could just never connect it to a Wi-Fi network and then it will not default to that Wi-Fi network, but as I said before, why would you want to do that when Wi-Fi is so much faster than 3G?

You seem somehow to think that the 3G is going to be the preferred way to connect and that you're going to do it that way regardless. But if your at home in your own Wi-Fi environment why wouldn't you connect to your own Wi-Fi network and leave it that way and get faster speed?

It's all in the K3 manual on the Amazon website, maybe you should just download it and read it for yourself. That's what I did.
Your assumption that I'm going to be reading the K3 at home is incorrect. At home, I read on my iPad, because there's more real estate. The K3 is going to stay in my briefcase, unless it turns out to be a clearly superior reading experience over the iPad, which I doubt will be the case.

As for RTFM, I had no idea how hard it would be to get what I thought would be a simple answer.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:26 AM   #168
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
As for RTFM, I had no idea how hard it would be to get what I thought would be a simple answer.
And amazingly enough, the answer was in the manual all along.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:38 AM   #169
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
And amazingly enough, the answer was in the manual all along.
+1
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #170
mobileaddict
mobileaddict began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle wi-fi mang

mobileaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:11 AM   #171
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Well, I just ordered Kindle 3 with 3G and wifi together with the Hot Pink Kindle Lighted Book cover yesterday.

Just waiting now....
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:52 AM   #172
wilsonwong
wilsonwong began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3
I just ordered my WiFi only K3 + blue lighted cover. Can't wait to have it shipped asap!
wilsonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:36 AM   #173
rblover
Connoisseur
rblover began at the beginning.

Device: none as yet
Update

I ordered my graphite Kindle 3G+WiFi from Amazon on 9-3-10. Just a few minutes ago-late on 9-16-10-I was informed that it had shipped, and would probably be delivered on 9-21-10. I used the free shipping option. Had I paid extra for next day delivery, it would probably be here by now. Since I haven't recieved, and tried to use, it yet, I have no complaints so far. I had already ordered two books: 'The Essential P.G. Wodehouse Collection', with 96 of his tales in it...and 'The Wreck of The Titan'...which is a novel about an ocean liner hitting an iceberg, and sinking...long before The Titanic was ever built. I have long heard about this book, but never found a DTB copy of it. Now I can have an e-book version of it.

Amazon has 2.47 million books available, so I won't need any other source for awhile yet. I'm not big on waiting at the bottom of reserved lists to borrow recent best sellers from libraries, so I don't need e-pub capability. I will be able to access my books on my Kindle, or my desktop computer, or my notebook computer, so that is all the device sharing I will need. The Kindle is right for me, and I prefer it's: faster page turns, longer battery life, text to speech feature, and larger internal memory, with more font sizes, and scales of gray. I have a hard enough time keeping track of SD cards for my camera. If I had to keep track of mini SD cards for my reader, I'd go nuts, and lose half of my books. The Kindle is not for everyone, but is right for me.

When my computers need to be replaced, I will consider a pad model at that time, and will then end up with a one device does all, item...but will not read novels on it. I want to give my eyes a rest from backlit screens once in awhile...at least when recreational reading. The Kindle lets me do that, and with more features/better functions that the Nook, or Kobo, and for less money-and with greater contrast/readability-than a comparable Sony. To each his/her own. I've found mine. Get what suits you, and enjoy it.
rblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #174
rcashin
rcashin began at the beginning.

Device: 3G Kindle 3
Zenrunner ...

Where is it that you have poor 3G? I'm in St. John's NL, which I think is fine, but I'm mainly concerned with service in slightly more 'remote' areas, or when I'm 'on the road' between larger centres.

Last edited by rcashin; 10-06-2010 at 08:18 PM.
rcashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #175
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
@Harmon
You may be surprised once you get the Kindle, I have a feeling you'll be reading less and less on the ipad and more and more on the Kindle
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote