Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
Bren423
Bren423 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 & iPod Touch
Buying Sony 505 from overseas

After dropping my Sony PRS 505 two times in the past two months, the display finally went north. I can only read the upper part. I'm torn between going through all the hassle of talking to Sony USA and shipping it or just buy another 505 since it is over the warranty period anyway. I was thinking of just getting an itouch ipod and use it as a reader as I've tried using the Stanza on my Mac desktop but I still love my Sony. Plus I have all these accessories. I bought mine here in Hong Kong from a store that sells parallel import more than a year ago. They promised to send it to Sony if there is a problem. However, that shop is now closed. So I have to order it from overseas. I've heard of B&H. How reliable is it? Do they declare the whole thing on the custom invoice when they send it? Has anybody tried buying it at Amazon? They seem to be selling it but I'm not sure if they will ship electronics internationally. Any suggestions?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Bren423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:17 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Bren423--Sorry to hear about the demise of your 505.

I have an iPod Touch and a 505. I do read on my iPod Touch on occasion--using Stanza and the eReader program for the Touch. I can tell you that the experience is no where near as pleasurable as reading on my 505. I highly recommend getting an e-ink device for reading.

I know several people have had good experiences with B&H, but I personally haven't bought anything from them. I don't have any idea about the customs charges--hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
B&H are extremely reliable - many people buy from them. I certainly hope that they declare the value of the goods correctly - it is a crime to knowingly make an incorrect customs declaration.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
B&H are extremely reliable - many people buy from them. I certainly hope that they declare the value of the goods correctly - it is a crime to knowingly make an incorrect customs declaration.
They flat-out refuse to list anything but the actual price on the box. I know, I asked them if they could fudge it a bit , but alas, they're honest folk. Which is good.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's very good to hear.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I agree with dordale. I read occasionally on my iPhone but it is nowhere as comfortable or pleasant as my 505. I do like to have the same book on both devices as I always have my iPhone with me so, if I get stuck in line or whatever, at least I can keep reading.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Bren423
Bren423 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 & iPod Touch
Thanks. Seems like ordering from B&H is fine. I will go ahead and order the Sony PRS 505 from them ASAP. I was kind of worried about import tax, having no experience when it comes to buying electronics abroad. However, a research about tax duties for Hong Kong showed that it is a free port and hence has no import tax. Dutiable commodities subject to excise duties are limited to four commodities namely liquor, tobacco, hydrocarbon oil and methyl alcohol only. I don’t even need to file an import declaration since the amount is less than $4000 so it falls under the exempted items. That’s another hassle I don’t need to go through. Now, I just have to choose which color to get this time, silver or dark blue. I intend to have my silver unit repaired if I know of a friend going to the States so I will have a backup. Or maybe get the iPod Touch. I’m feeling quite lost without my reader right now.
Bren423 is offline   Reply With Quote