Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Exclamation How to Fix Bricked / Boot Loop Kobo eReader

WARING: DO THE THINGS LISTED ON THIS THREAD AT YOUR OWN RISK. I, KIWISAURUS, TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR eREADER DEVICE. THESE STEPS, IF DONE CORRECTLY, WILL FIX MOST PROBLEMS. HOWEVER, IF THE STEPS ARE DONE THE WRONG WAY, THIS CAN CAUSE YOUR eREADER TO BE NEVER USABLE AGAIN.

AGAIN, PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

INFO FROM: KOBO HELP PAGES.

It happens. And it is VERY frustrating. A bricked eReader is one of the worst nightmares of a bookworm.

In this tutorial, I will be showing you how to fix this horrible problem of bricked / boot loop (stuck at loading screen) Kobo eReaders.

Now, one of the most common reasons why this problem occurs is because of sideloading firmware.

It has happened to me before while trying to downgrade my Kobo Mini to firmware version 2.5.1 from 3.4.1.

It can happen if the firmware wasn't designed for your device and / or the update was corrupted and / or the update was interrupted.

If this has happened to you, don't panic! There is a solution.

In fact, there are multiple solutions.

Without further ado, let's dig in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOFT RESET:

(TURN OFF YOUR eREADER IF POSSIBLE)

1. Take a small paper clip and unfold it until you have an inch or so of straight wire.

2. Turn your eReader over.

3. Locate the small hole on its back, near the bottom left corner (some Kobo eReaders have the hole under the back cover).

3. Slide the end of the straightened paper clip into the hole.

4. Press gently until you feel a click.

5. Your eReader will reset.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HARD RESET (FOR KOBO AURA ONE AND AURA 2nd EDITION):

(WARNING: THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON YOUR KOBO DEVICE. PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK)

1. Connect your eReader to a power source by doing one of the following:

2. Turn on your computer and connect the included USB power cord to your computer first, and then your eReader.

3. Plug the wall charger (not included) to a power outlet, and then connect your eReader to the wall charger.

4. Press and hold the power button until the power light on the top-right corner of your eReader turns off. You'll see a 'Powered off' screen when your eReader is turned off.

5. Release the power button.

6. Press and hold the power button on your eReader for 30 seconds.

7. Wait for the Restore screen to appear.

8. Release the power button. Your eReader screen will turn black and begin the restoring process. After the restoring process finishes, follow the onscreen instructions to set up your eReader. You'll need access to an active Wi Fi or internet connection to complete setup. You can also use the Kobo Desktop app to set up your eReader using your computer.

HARD RESET (FOR KOBO AURA H2O AND GLO HD):

1. Turn it off first, press and hold the power button for 5 to 6 seconds;

2. Press and hold the power button;

3. With two fingers, simultaneously and repeatedly tap the bottom corners of the touch screen;

4. Continue to tap the corners repeatedly until the device begins to reset;

5. Complete the device setup after the reset completes.

HARD RESET (KOBO TOUCH):

1. If possible, turn off your eReader.

2. Press and hold the Home button.

3. While holding the Home button, slide the power button to the right several times to turn on your eReader.

4. Continue holding the Home button and wait until the power light blinks rapidly.

5. Let go of the Home button.

HARD RESET (FOR ALL THE OTHER KOBO e-ink eREADERS THAT WEREN'T MENTIONED ABOVE):

1.Ensure that the device is powered off.

2.Press and hold the Light button.

3.Slide the power switch to the right, hold for one second, then let go of the switch.

4.Continue to hold the Light button until the small light to the left of the power switch flashes.

5.Let go of the Light button.

MICRO SD CARD FIRMWARE FIX (ALL KOBO DEVICES WITH MICRO SD CARDS):

1. Locate and take out the Kobo's Micro SD card. For Kobo Mini, this is located under the SnapBack cover, under the screw cover in a slot. So carefully unscrew the screws and remove the Micro SD card from where the circuit boards are if you have a Mini.

2. Get (or buy) a Micro SD to SD card adapter to plug the Micro SD into your PC.

3. When you plug the Micro SD card into your PC, go into the memory. If it says something like "Format Disk" just click "Cancel". Never, EVER format the disk, or you will lose the whole firmware.

4. Go to the website https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases and download the right firmware for whatever Mark your device is in. You can also read the "Notes" or check which Mark your device is (at the top of the page) if you are not sure.

5. After downloading, unzip the file and place the components in the ".kobo" directory in the SD card.

6. Now safely eject your eReader and wait for it to reboot.

7. Your eReader should be unbricked.

8. Promise me that you will never try sideloading firmware again!

If none of that worked, than I have bad news for you.

You will have to replace the whole Kobo image, and unfortunately I cannot provide you with that.

So do a bit of research and ask some people if they have the right image for your Kobo.

If they do, gather the right software and replace the image.

If not, I'm so sorry to tell you, but you are out of luck.

This will not be covered by accidental warranty, because "Kobo strongly advises not to manually update your eReader".

Maybe you will get a replacement with some discount.

I hope I could be of some help.

Please don't hesitate to tell me if I missed a different method, etc.

Good luck, and have a great day!

Kiwisaurus

Last edited by Kiwisaurus; 10-03-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Kiwisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Sounds like you've been busy. Thanks for all the information. Kobo images are available on this forum ... you have to request them with a post in the correct image request thread, NOT a private message (see the development sub-forum). I had to re-image a used Kobo WiFi and was sent an image that did the job.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-03-2018 at 02:34 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2018, 11:26 PM   #3
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Sounds like you've been busy. Thanks for all the information. Kobo images are available on this forum ... you have to request them with a private message (see the development sub-forum). I had to re-image a used Kobo WiFi and was sent an image that did the job.
Yeah, it took me about an hour and a half to research and write that.

Oh, I didn't know you could request images.

Thanks for that
Old 10-03-2018, 12:44 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Sounds like you've been busy. Thanks for all the information. Kobo images are available on this forum ... you have to request them with a private message (see the development sub-forum). I had to re-image a used Kobo WiFi and was sent an image that did the job.
DO NOT send a PM requesting an image from me. Find the thread appropriate to the device and post a request. See Index of Firmware Request Threads for the list of threads to use.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:09 AM   #5
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
DO NOT send a PM requesting an image from me. Find the thread appropriate to the device and post a request. See Index of Firmware Request Threads for the list of threads to use.
Sure...I never was going to, but alright.
Advert
Old 10-03-2018, 02:51 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwisaurus View Post
It's not personal against you -- it just makes it easier for davidfor (I think he's the one who sends them) to get the right images to the right people for the right devices. I can see where it would be hard to keep tract when the requests are coming from every direction.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:10 AM   #7
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Quote:
It's not personal against you -- it just makes it easier for davidfor (I think he's the one who sends them) to get the right images to the right people for the right devices. I can see where it would be hard to keep tract when the requests are coming from every direction.
Yeah.

rcentros, in your biography it says "Old and grumpy".

Are you really that old?

I mean...impressive computer skills for an elderly person
Old 10-03-2018, 03:58 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My response was directed to rcentos as the no longer "old and grumpy" one's post implied people should send a PM for the image. And I really don't want that. If they go to the thread I can see what I have and haven't replied to easily. It is particularly bad when someone posts a request in several threads and send me a PM. That actually slows down the response as I have to work out what I haven't replied to.

But, maybe the post was just an indication that I should be taking over the tag "old and grumpy".
Old 10-03-2018, 04:07 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

METHOD 1: SOFT RESET

(TURN OFF YOUR eREADER IF POSSIBLE)

1. Take a small paper clip and unfold it until you have an inch or so of straight wire.
This method is only useful for the devices that have a reset button. The recent devices don't. It is also only useful if the device is actually running. So, if the device is hung in a loop or something like that. And the alternative is to hold the power button down for about 20 seconds. This will force the device to turn off. Then you can turn it on again and see what happens.
Quote:

IF THIS METHOD DIDN'T WORK FOR YOU, TRY THE NEXT ONE!

METHOD 2: HARD RESET (KOBO AURA ONE AND AURA 2nd EDITION)
Each of these methods is called a "Factory reset". Most of these methods are listed in the MR Wiki. A reference to that means we don't duplicate information and can more easily find it. Plus, they all look to be taken from the Kobo help site. It is polite to include credit when getting things from elsewhere, plus it means people can check the steps if something doesn't work.

The use of "METHOD 2" and "METHOD 3" confused me for a moment. That was because when I read through this, it seemed to have been written as if these are alternative methods people should try. They aren't. Which you method you use is dependent on the device you are trying to get going. While you labelled them, it would be confusing to someone who didn't know. Overall, what you should be saying is something like:
  1. Try the basic reset (give steps or a reference).
  2. If that doesn't help, try a factory reset. The method depends non the device. And either give the steps or a reference.
  3. If that doesn't work, try an image. The image used depends on the device.
Quote:

IF NONE OF THE METHODS ABOVE WORKED, TRY REPLACING THE FIRMWARE WITH THE CORRECT ONE. FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW!

1. Locate and take out the Kobo's Micro SD card. For Kobo Mini, this is located under the SnapBack cover, under the screw cover in a slot. So carefully unscrew the screws and remove the Micro SD card from where the circuit boards are if you have a Mini.

2. Get (or buy) a Micro SD to SD card adapter to plug the Micro SD into your PC.

3. When you plug the Micro SD card into your PC, go into the memory. If it says something like "Format Disk" just click "Cancel". Never, EVER format the disk, or you will lose the whole firmware.

4. Go to the website https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases and download the right firmware for whatever Mark your device is in. You can also read the "Notes" or check which Mark your device is (at the top of the page) if you are not sure.

5. After downloading, unzip the file and place the components in the ".kobo" directory in the SD card.

6. Now safely eject your eReader and wait for it to reboot.

7. Your eReader should be unbricked.

8. Promise me that you will never try sideloading firmware again!
If the factory reset didn't work, then it is extremely unlikely that this would work. In fact, trying this before the factory reset is a slightly better idea. But, it isn't something I'd ever suggest unless the person already had the card out of the device. About the only reason to do it is if the USB port was broken and files couldn't be transferred to it and didn't want to use the version that was downloaded via WiFi.. Otherwise, restoring an image is a much better idea.
Quote:

IF NONE OF THOSE WORKED AT ALL, SEE BELOW!

If none of that worked, than I have bad news for you.

You will have to replace the whole Kobo image, and unfortunately I cannot provide you with that.

So do a bit of research and ask some people if they have the right image for your Kobo.

If they do, gather the right software and replace the image.

If not, I'm so sorry to tell you, but you are out of luck.

This will not be covered by accidental warranty, because "Kobo strongly advises not to manually update your eReader".
I can't think of where Kobo says that, but, I'm pretty sure it is referring to manually installing firmware by sideloading the files. That doesn't invalidate the warranty, it just isn't something Kobo wants people doing. And the first step in their problem solving is to do a factory reset. But, opening the device and pulling the internal SD card out is another matter. That will invalidate the warranty.

My apologies if this seems overly critical. Those were my thoughts when I was reading your post. To a certain extent, it is repeating known information, but, I suppose we have been missing a guide that covers all the steps. They get posted frequently when someone gets into trouble, but, being able to post a link to a clear guide would be better.

And I'm sure by now you have decided that the "grumpy" tag I was suggesting isn't descriptive enough.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:13 AM   #10
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Quote:
This method is only useful for the devices that have a reset button. The recent devices don't. It is also only useful if the device is actually running. So, if the device is hung in a loop or something like that. And the alternative is to hold the power button down for about 20 seconds. This will force the device to turn off. Then you can turn it on again and see what happens.

Each of these methods is called a "Factory reset". Most of these methods are listed in the MR Wiki. A reference to that means we don't duplicate information and can more easily find it. Plus, they all look to be taken from the Kobo help site. It is polite to include credit when getting things from elsewhere, plus it means people can check the steps if something doesn't work.

The use of "METHOD 2" and "METHOD 3" confused me for a moment. That was because when I read through this, it seemed to have been written as if these are alternative methods people should try. They aren't. Which you method you use is dependent on the device you are trying to get going. While you labelled them, it would be confusing to someone who didn't know. Overall, what you should be saying is something like:
  1. Try the basic reset (give steps or a reference).
  2. If that doesn't help, try a factory reset. The method depends non the device. And either give the steps or a reference.
  3. If that doesn't work, try an image. The image used depends on the device.

If the factory reset didn't work, then it is extremely unlikely that this would work. In fact, trying this before the factory reset is a slightly better idea. But, it isn't something I'd ever suggest unless the person already had the card out of the device. About the only reason to do it is if the USB port was broken and files couldn't be transferred to it and didn't want to use the version that was downloaded via WiFi.. Otherwise, restoring an image is a much better idea.

I can't think of where Kobo says that, but, I'm pretty sure it is referring to manually installing firmware by sideloading the files. That doesn't invalidate the warranty, it just isn't something Kobo wants people doing. And the first step in their problem solving is to do a factory reset. But, opening the device and pulling the internal SD card out is another matter. That will invalidate the warranty.

My apologies if this seems overly critical. Those were my thoughts when I was reading your post. To a certain extent, it is repeating known information, but, I suppose we have been missing a guide that covers all the steps. They get posted frequently when someone gets into trouble, but, being able to post a link to a clear guide would be better.

And I'm sure by now you have decided that the "grumpy" tag I was suggesting isn't descriptive enough.
OK, I'm gonna be honest with you since you were honest with me.

Yes, that is very critical, but I am not offended at all. I learn from my mistakes.

Please don't ignore the fact that I literally joined MobileRead yesterday, and this is my 3rd thread, so don't expect much.

Other than that, I fixed most of the stuff you mentioned, so it would be really good if you read that again and criticisi- I mean, shared your comments on it.

:|

Oh, and yes, grumpy isn't descriptive enough. In fact, it doesn't describe you at all!

You are the opposite of that, so don't worry

You are nice. Just one problem:

You spend a lot of time on little things. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's good that you helped me get better by criticising, but it looks like you spend a lot of time writing that.

So, I guess the right word is "bit-too-critical" or "obsessive".

Sorry if I offended you in any way.

By the way, don't look at the fact that I have really high Karma. Some dude donated me all that in my first "Introduction" thread! I'm still a noob here.

But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate Karma donations

EDIT: Kobo's support team said manual-updates void warranty.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #11
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:

EDIT: Kobo's support team said manual-updates void warranty.

How would they know?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
My response was directed to rcentos as the no longer "old and grumpy" one's post implied people should send a PM for the image. And I really don't want that. If they go to the thread I can see what I have and haven't replied to easily. It is particularly bad when someone posts a request in several threads and send me a PM. That actually slows down the response as I have to work out what I haven't replied to.

But, maybe the post was just an indication that I should be taking over the tag "old and grumpy".
No, I missed your whole point. Sorry. I guess I need to add "senile" to the list. I'll edit the original post.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Yeah.

rcentros, in your biography it says "Old and grumpy".

Are you really that old?

I mean...impressive computer skills for an elderly person
I don't what "really that old" means, but I'm 62 and feel older than that. When I was a teenager (or slightly older?) Timex-Sinclair computers were a big thing for the hobbyist.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #14
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
How would they know?
Well, firstly, they work there, so it is highly unlikely that they don't know what voids the warranty and what doesn't.

Just to check, I went to www.kobo.com and scrolled down and hit "Help" and "Contact Us" and "Chat" so I asked them, and the guy said "Hold on a moment while I ask this to my supervisor," and a minute later he returned, saying "Yes, we highly recommend not manually updating our eReaders, as it may cause permanent damage and is not covered by accidental warranty."

So, if you open up an eReader and then accidentally break something, that is not covered under your warranty.

And that is the very reason why I said over and over again:

"PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!"
Old 10-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #15
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Quote:
I don't what "really that old" means, but I'm 62 and feel older than that. When I was a teenager (or slightly older?) Timex-Sinclair computers were a big thing for the hobbyist.
I don't know about the age, but you definitely aren't grumpy!

You are quite the opposite of grumpy, in fact.

Tags
bricked, ereader, fixed, kobo, reset