Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #196
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Just a note about what happens to the animals. In feral cat rescue, the main line of action is TNR: trap, neuter and return to a safe area with a caretaker who just overlooks their welfare. Other courses are trap, neuter, rehome, which is what I used to do when I lived in an area with a high feral population. Homes came easily to the young ones and some of the older ones, but I did keep a few (I have three ex-ferals now).

I'm not sure what happens to dogs, but I would imagine, like cats, this depends on the nature of the rescue. Large places, like the RSPCA, keep them for a SHORT time, scan them for a micro-chip and return to person if possible, but they'll put them to sleep after a couple of weeks if not claimed, or sooner if they have immediate health/behaviour issues.

I gather that your organisation is in the US? How have the dogs become homeless? In the US it is common policy for all feral cats to be put down, unless they're caught by someone like Alley Cat Allies (TNR). Dogs running wild usually have the same fate.
It might be worth doing some research about this for your book.
I agree with you about research being needed. Rescuers are dedicated people who are engaged in difficult, often heartbreaking and thankless work, and there should be an understanding of what they actually do, even in a deliberately unrealistic novel where the characters have gone off the deep end.

It might make a bit more sense if the villain is stealing dogs from their owners and the women's group is trying to get them back and return them to their homes.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #197
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I think my mom's house has been marked by the cats as a good place to get medical care (if you are old and sick) or have babies (if you are pregnant ).
She has gotten 6 new cats (1 old, 1 mama, 4 kittens) since August. The old guy and the mama just wandered up.
I think there's an invisible sign outside the houses of people who are kind to cats. It says "Soft Touch Here ->" Only cats can see or understand it.
Advert
Old 01-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #198
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
I think there's an invisible sign outside the houses of people who are kind to cats. It says "Soft Touch Here ->" Only cats can see or understand it.
I don't think so. If such secret cat signs existed, the nasty, ugly, fat neighbours' cats would stay far away from our garden.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #199
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I agree with you about research being needed. Rescuers are dedicated people who are engaged in difficult, often heartbreaking and thankless work, and there should be an understanding of what they actually do, even in a deliberately unrealistic novel where the characters have gone off the deep end.

It might make a bit more sense if the villain is stealing dogs from their owners and the women's group is trying to get them back and return them to their homes.
Yes. The only thing we know from the blurb is that dogs are disappearing from Chicago's streets. Dogs, apart from wild street dogs, are rarely alone; in the US I believe that the common practise even with cats is to keep them in (in the UK they go out in the day). But on both sides of the pond it would be rare to see an 'owned' dog alone and not on a leash unless it's lost.

Also, in the blurb thread, there's now mention that Donovan is shipping the dogs abroad. This would be expensive (practicalities like rabies shots etc), and for what purpose? Few countries are short of dogs.

As to ARF, or whoever, where are they keeping the dogs? In what conditions? Are they humane? Won't the dogs be pining for their people?

I wonder if Gregg has really thought about this?
Old 01-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #200
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I don't think so. If such secret cat signs existed, the nasty, ugly, fat neighbours' cats would stay far away from our garden.
Maybe they only take notice of the signs they want to read. You know what cats are like. They do what they want to do, not what they're told!

That's why I love 'em!
Advert
Old 01-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #201
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Yes. The only thing we know from the blurb is that dogs are disappearing from Chicago's streets. Dogs, apart from wild street dogs, are rarely alone; in the US I believe that the common practise even with cats is to keep them in (in the UK they go out in the day). But on both sides of the pond it would be rare to see an 'owned' dog alone and not on a leash unless it's lost.

Also, in the blurb thread, there's now mention that Donovan is shipping the dogs abroad. This would be expensive (practicalities like rabies shots etc), and for what purpose? Few countries are short of dogs.

As to ARF, or whoever, where are they keeping the dogs? In what conditions? Are they humane? Won't the dogs be pining for their people?

Do you remember that huge scandal, a few years back? All the Haute houses had found this "amazing" source, in China, for faux-fur? They used it in all their (Fall) shows that year...and it all turned out to be DOG. Man...that was bad on all fronts.

Perhaps Donovan is shipping the dogs to some secret location that's making faux-not-fur coats? Granted, it's absurdly expensive, and nobody would do it, but, this IS an over-the-top-black-comedy novel, right?

Hitch
Old 01-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #202
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Do you remember that huge scandal, a few years back? All the Haute houses had found this "amazing" source, in China, for faux-fur? They used it in all their (Fall) shows that year...and it all turned out to be DOG. Man...that was bad on all fronts.

Perhaps Donovan is shipping the dogs to some secret location that's making faux-not-fur coats? Granted, it's absurdly expensive, and nobody would do it, but, this IS an over-the-top-black-comedy novel, right?

Hitch
Yes, I remember this. It also crossed my mind that they might be on the menu in certain countries. But I hope Gregg isn't thinking of going down that plot road.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #203
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

Where did you get the idea that US cats are indoors only?
Certain breeds yes. Your ordinary cat can be indoors /outdoors or both.
My mom has indoor cats, outdoor cats, a few of outside cats have moved either next door or in one case down the street and other cats that go in and out as they please.
Right now, the kittens are indoors unless they are supervised. One ragdoll is the same way. She even has a leash.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #204
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

On the dogs, it depends on the breed and the neighborhood.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #205
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My mom has indoor cats, outdoor cats, a few of outside cats have moved either next door or in one case down the street and other cats that go in and out as they please.
Right now, the kittens are indoors unless they are supervised. One ragdoll is the same way. She even has a leash.
Well, maybe in Texas, but the only outdoor cats I know of are ones who are might occasionally be allowed out in a fenced yard, or ones who are feral or lost/abandoned. It's far too dangerous to let them roam.

ETA: I also hate the distinction between "certain breeds" and "ordinary cats"--the life of an expensive purebred isn't worth any more than the life of the mixed-breed alley cat.

Last edited by Catlady; 01-20-2018 at 05:42 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 01-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #206
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I remember this. It also crossed my mind that they might be on the menu in certain countries. But I hope Gregg isn't thinking of going down that plot road.
Agreed. I once had a really strong plot, for a novel...and had to nuke it, because it had an element of animal "murder" in it, and I just couldn't go there. But it was integral to everything--the motive, the murderer, everything. Sucks, but...there you are.

Quote:
Not my cats! When we lived closer to the city, we had two adult cats that were allowed outside in our yard, but that was it. NOW? Now, neither cat is allowed out, at all. Between rattlesnakes, Gilas and the Great Horned Owls that live "with" us (we have a massive roosting area right here; we have owls "hooting" away on our chimney flue nightly, but particularly on full moons), the other raptors in the area, the coyote pack that likes to take afternoon repose in the copse on our property, there is NO outside for our cats. We see this over and over here, "city people" move up here, and the next thing, there are endless "lost pet" posters up at the mailboxes, for small animals. It's heartbreaking--and COMPLETELY preventable, if they would get their heads out of their tucheses. The idea that "cats can take care of themselves" is responsible for a ton of animal neglect and outright cruelty.

Quote:
Well, maybe in Texas, but the only outdoor cats I know of are ones who are might occasionally be allowed out in a fenced yard, or ones who are feral or lost/abandoned. It's far too dangerous to let them roam.
^. See my note above.

Quote:
ETA: I also hate the distinction between "certain breeds" and "ordinary cats"--the life of an expensive purebred isn't worth any more than the life of the mixed-breed alley cat.
I agree. I don't think that Cin really meant it that way, though. Not in a status-y, snobby way. I think she just meant housepets/companion animals versus showcats, perhaps?

Hitch
Old 01-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #207
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:

I was thinking mom keeps her Maine coon in during the summer, though that may be the cat's choice.
Personally I think purebreds are not smart enough to be outside. At least a street cat knows not to lay in the street.

Oh and my personal opinion is what is the difference between a Siamese and a tortie.
A cat is a cat except maybe Tacky. She was a protector.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:45 PM   #208
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Not my cats! When we lived closer to the city, we had two adult cats that were allowed outside in our yard, but that was it. NOW? Now, neither cat is allowed out, at all. Between rattlesnakes, Gilas and the Great Horned Owls that live "with" us (we have a massive roosting area right here; we have owls "hooting" away on our chimney flue nightly, but particularly on full moons), the other raptors in the area, the coyote pack that likes to take afternoon repose in the copse on our property, there is NO outside for our cats. We see this over and over here, "city people" move up here, and the next thing, there are endless "lost pet" posters up at the mailboxes, for small animals. It's heartbreaking--and COMPLETELY preventable, if they would get their heads out of their tucheses. The idea that "cats can take care of themselves" is responsible for a ton of animal neglect and outright cruelty.
And for city cats, there's plenty of danger from cars and, sadly, from people.

Quote:
I agree. I don't think that Cin really meant it that way, though. Not in a status-y, snobby way. I think she just meant housepets/companion animals versus showcats, perhaps?
No, I don't think she meant anything really; it seems it's just the way too many people have been conditioned to think--that cats who cost hundreds of dollars are special and must be pampered, and the rest are just riffraff who can fend for themselves.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:01 PM   #209
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:

No, I don't think she meant anything really; it seems it's just the way too many people have been conditioned to think--that cats who cost hundreds of dollars are special and must be pampered, and the rest are just riffraff who can fend for themselves.
I only met one cat that was PRICELESS. Her name was Tacky. Back then there weren't tortoiseshell cats, they were just ugly cats. She was my protector when I was a baby. (Either that or she didn't like crying babies.) She would draw blood if anyone thought about waking me up. Dad also learned when we were older, do not yell at the kids. Her and the catfish (walking) chased him back out the door. The next thing we saw was the cat and catfish at the edge of the porch, dad in the driveway apologizing and asking us kids to please round up the animals. Glad the boxer hadn't been in the house.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:06 PM   #210
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Indeed, you are unfortunately right.

Quote:

As it happens, both of ours, right now, are purebreds. Two Maine Coons. A local breeder (the woman who basically created the first breeding program for MC's, here in AZ) was unfortunately struck with breast cancer, metastasized, and she had to find forever homes for her kitties. We adopted a neutered male from her, and two years later, he, too, was struck with stomach cancer. When I put him down, Mr. H took it very, very badly. I did something that I've never done before--I went out and in a very short few months, I got two more kitties. Typically, I wait a few years, as I think it's kinda disrespectful to just "replace" a pet. Maybe it's a silly way to feel, but...it's how I feel. Nonetheless, Mr. H just seemed really...I dunno, adrift, I guess...without his furry companion(s), so...

Anyway, I reached out to another woman, who had been mentored by the first breeder, had started her program with the same bloodlines, which I particularly liked, and she had several adults that needed homes; kitties that she'd rescued, or cats she'd bred that came back to her, because their owners lost their homes, etc. (Remember, this was around the time that so many kitties and dogs were homeless due to the Crash.) I went over there and ended up with an adult female "rescue" and...a kitten. (Yeah, yeah, I tried not to fall for him, BUT, there's a sucker born every minute.) So, we have a rehomed rescue purebred female and a from-kittenhood male. Both neutered, of course; goes without saying.

Having said all that, my female could survive, if push came to shove, as well as any cat; she's wicked smart and fast as anything; but our male would definitely starve to death. Poor bozo. He's sweet, and loving, and just the best, but...well. 'Nuff said.

Sorry to go all OT, here, gang. Back to zee cover!

Hitch
Closed Thread