Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 08-09-2015, 04:40 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Kindle Windows app and Windows 10

I have a Surface 3 and I'm running Windows 10. I have both the Kindle app and Kindle for PC installed. In the app I can download a book but when it opens its in two pages and the font is too small.

I can't display the settings that allow me to change the font size, view, colour etc. The 'app commands' doesn't work and swiping up from the bottom or pressing along the bottom doesn't display anything either.

Can anyone shed any light on why the controls won't appear? I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times already.

Thanks
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:08 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Because the metro version of Kindle is garbage.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because the metro version of Kindle is garbage.
Yes I'm gathering that
Old 08-10-2015, 01:43 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Yes I'm gathering that
I know this won't be helpful, but I installed the kindle App on my windows 8.1 tablet. And deinstalled it after 10 minutes. You're really a lot better off using the desktop applications...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:06 AM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I know this won't be helpful, but I installed the kindle App on my windows 8.1 tablet. And deinstalled it after 10 minutes. You're really a lot better off using the desktop applications...
I know I'm just trying to work out if I have issues with my Surface generally. Anyway I'm doing a factory restore now so I can check it out again late this week when I add the app.
Advert
Old 08-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

And the classic reply from Amazon when reporting the app missing controls was

Have you upgraded to Windows 10, that's the problem. When I asked if she knew that was the problem all she kept repeating is that she would report it to the app team.

Do they seriously think I'm go I back to 8.1 for their app
Old 08-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
It boggles the mind that companies (at least large ones like Amazon) could see this coming for months, would have had access to beta and one would presume details on the changes MS was making and still have no updates for compatibility? I might not have expected perfect on release day, but if it was W8 compatible how hard could it be to have it pretty much ready for W10 final and only need to tweak and test to release?
Or were they all assuming that the uptake of W10 was going to be marginal and slow off the mark?
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the Kindle app was properly written, it would not matter that it was running under Windows 10 or Windows 8/8.1.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the Kindle app was properly written, it would not matter that it was running under Windows 10 or Windows 8/8.1.
I do find it a bit strange, their iOS app is wonderful and while the android app isn't as nice it's still more than functional. They appear to have really dropped the ball with the Windows app.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Someone over at the UK Kindle discussion forum gave me the answer, just in case anyone else wants it. You need to open a book on the app then right click at the bottom of the page. Then the controls come up. Touch doesn't work, it has to be a right click, and it does work with the Surface Pen
Old 08-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I do find it a bit strange, their iOS app is wonderful and while the android app isn't as nice it's still more than functional. They appear to have really dropped the ball with the Windows app.
The iOS app (IMHO) is crap. Amazon should have used KF8 instead of this AZK format.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:52 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Someone over at the UK Kindle discussion forum gave me the answer, just in case anyone else wants it. You need to open a book on the app then right click at the bottom of the page. Then the controls come up. Touch doesn't work, it has to be a right click, and it does work with the Surface Pen
So, in short, it won't work for all those many tablets in the world that don't have pen support... (remember that a long touch should count as right-click, have you tried that?)
Old 08-12-2015, 06:08 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So, in short, it won't work for all those many tablets in the world that don't have pen support... (remember that a long touch should count as right-click, have you tried that?)
I can't get touch even a long one to show anything.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:19 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can't get touch even a long one to show anything.
Then that's just terrible programming... As the long touch has always been the right mouse button variant of tablets...
Old 08-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Then that's just terrible programming... As the long touch has always been the right mouse button variant of tablets...
I think the Issue may actually be Windows 10 related as I have a similar issue with other apps not working with touch as right click