Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 12-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #46
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Mine came today... I love how the instructions for removing the back cover are INSIDE the back cover.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #47
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I can't get the app from my phone, and doing it from the web site says they can't send it, to check my live.com email on my phone. No clue how to do that.
That's normal for this procedure, they send the app link in an e-mail.

You have a microsoft e-mail account, right? Like [yourname]@msn.com or [yourname]@hotmail.com or [yourname]@outlook.com. That's the live.com e-mail address they're talking about.

Tap the e-mail icon, which should be on your 520's home page, showing an envelope coming out the right side of a folder. Or find it in your list of apps as "Hotmail".

Once you get that sorted out, but before you make the setting in that new app to store maps to SD card, follow the instructions in that original link, which said to first remove the maps you've installed to your internal storage.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #48
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Mine came today... I love how the instructions for removing the back cover are INSIDE the back cover.
But once you know how, if you haven't mangled your back cover (here's the answer to that: red, yellow, and white replacement backs for $5 ea. with free shipping), it's the easiest back removal of any smartphone: fingernail in the top edge of the back cover (just above the earpiece indent), while simultaneously pressing in the back just under the camera lens.

I have an eBay external charger for this battery, and constantly swap out batteries.

Last edited by jj2me; 12-24-2014 at 05:34 PM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #49
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Can't create folders yet. Per the settings page:

Quote:
Create folders on my Start screen

Folders help you keep the Start screen on your Windows Phone 8.1 organized by letting you group Tiles the way you like. For example, you might have a folder with all your games and another with your favorite apps—it's completely up to you. After you create a folder, you can name it, move it, resize it, and add or remove Tiles from it whenever you want. Your phone might even already have a folder on the Start screen, such as a Music+videos folder.
It doesn't work, because they forgot to tell us that you need WP 8.1 Update 1 for this new feature. All we have so far is WP 8.1. I had to Google to find out why it wasn't working.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #50
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally, all of the updates for the OS and pre-installed apps are done; and that cost me over 0.55 GB of storage. My 8 GB phone started with 4.3 GB of user available storage and dropped to 3.75 GB after the updates. It's a good thing I'm only adding less than a dozen more apps (for now).

Wish it had folders, I hate screen clutter. Anyway, I removed everything from the home screen and then added 6 new downloaded apps (Audible, OverDrive, iHeart, Pandora, Slacker, TuneIn) and 2 pre-installed apps (FM Radio, Appstore). Until I get folders, the rest of the apps will have to stay in that side app drawer.

Speaker is loud enough for my pocket and on the desk. I'll add a 32GB mSD card later for offline playback of audiobooks and music.

Outside of the strange way WP OS works, it's a nice little media player; especially for the price I paid for it. As a phone or mini tablet, it sucks! No way would I use it as such!
Advert
Old 12-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #51
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
LOL! Am I the only one here who believes in waiting till Christmas morning to open his presents?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
LOL! Am I the only one here who believes in waiting till Christmas morning to open his presents?
But I already know what they are
Old 12-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #53
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
But once you know how, if you haven't mangled your back cover (here's the answer to that: red, yellow, and white replacement backs for $5 ea. with free shipping), it's the easiest back removal of any smartphone: fingernail in the top edge of the back cover (just above the earpiece indent), while simultaneously pressing in the back just under the camera lens.

I have an eBay external charger for this battery, and constantly swap out batteries.
Yeah, I figured it out, but just found it amusing that the instructions were inside.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #54
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
With a voice app? Like Alexa the Echo?

The Windows phone has something like that, called Cortana. I should try it.
Yeah sorta but it's not that smart yet she tells me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #55
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
They are not Christmas Presents. I bought them with my Birthday money so technically I can open and use it when I get it.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:28 PM   #56
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Wow this little thing has great speakers! Better than the Fire Phone I'd say comparable to my Kindle Fire 7 Speaker but the sound is much richer.

Very weird it must have sensor you put your hand near the speaker and the sound quits. quite annoying placement.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-24-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #57
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Oh Monkey I got folders working! Go to Microsoft Store, Go to Lumia Collection install App Folders it let you make folders and it seems to trigger another system update.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:24 AM   #58
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Wow this little thing has great speakers! Better than the Fire Phone I'd say comparable to my Kindle Fire 7 Speaker but the sound is much richer.

Very weird it must have sensor you put your hand near the speaker and the sound quits. quite annoying placement.
It's not a sensor. You're covering up the only hole the sound comes from and it's muted.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:48 AM   #59
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Oh Monkey I got folders working! Go to Microsoft Store, Go to Lumia Collection install App Folders it let you make folders and it seems to trigger another system update.
I couldn't find anything called "Lumia Collection". I did find an app called "App Folder", not "App Folders" and it's a Microsoft app. I installed it and its use is very ugly and not intuitive.

After doing all this, NO update was triggered. I checked manually and my phone is up to date. Which version do you now have after you did that triggered update?

My current version is -- 8.10.12393.890

This is just a temporary fix until Update 1 is rolled out and folders are officially added. I'll play with this "App Folder" a bit before I pass judgement on its worth.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:57 AM   #60
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Same as mine. You have to scroll sideway when at the store to find the collection.