Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #27601
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
The most amazing thing to me, I think, is that he ran so many marathons, one right after the other. I have done 5k and 10k runs, but I certainly haven't done more than one in a year, LOL.
Yes, he's almost as well known here for his marathons as for his standup. He famously ran 27 marathons in 27 days. Pure madness in my opinion, but you have to take your hat off to the man.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #27602
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Potter's Field by Ellis Peters.
Brother Cadfael! I loved those books so much.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #27603
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Couldn’t agree more! Several years ago, I was in Germany on business and had the weekend off and instead of traveling around Germany or France, I flew up to London, rented a car and drove out to Cadfael’s town just to see the abbey and walk around all the places he did. What a treat!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:33 PM   #27604
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
covingtoncat73
Quote:
Quote:
Next up: The Potter's Field by Ellis Peters
I could never really get into the Cadfael series. otoh, I ADORED her George Felse series, and now I'm in the mood to see if my library still has them.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:57 PM   #27605
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finished Burglars Can't Be Choosers by Lawrence Block.

Clever and witty whodunit. Wonderful dialogue. The clues were all there and I couldn't guess the murderer. Sometimes I'm not as smart as I look. Rated C [3 stars].

Next TBD.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2018, 05:56 AM   #27606
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Next up: The Potter's Field by Ellis Peters.
Which was most enjoyable.
And a pre-order has just come in. And at £2.79, instead of the current £5.22.

So next up: The Consuming Fire by John Scalzi.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #27607
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Currently Death In a White Tie by my late compatriot Ngaio Marsh. Book 7 of 32. It's an interesting exercise returning to a series I read as a teenager. The addition of 30+ solar orbits does make a bit of a difference. But I shall press on, to see if the Alleyn-Troy pairing is as good as remember.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:38 PM   #27608
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished the first Murderbot Diary, Artificial Conditions by Martha Wells. Quick and entertaining.

Now working on The Nine Lives of Chloe King by Liz Braswel
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:15 PM   #27609
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've just finished Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders, last year's Man Booker winner. People seem either to love it or hate it; you can put me in the loved it camp.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #27610
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Taking a break from Golden Age mystery writers, about to get stuck into Celebrating the Best of Urdu Poetry, finishing The Taste of Words:An Introduction to Urdu Poetry and Jungle Book in Hindi. - some serious mental calisthenics
Old 10-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #27611
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've just finished Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders, last year's Man Booker winner. People seem either to love it or hate it; you can put me in the loved it camp.
That's good to know, as I had wondered about it.

I'm currently reading Hilary Mantel's Eight Months on Gazzah Street which gives a grim insight into the life of an Englishwoman whose husband takes a job in Saudi Arabia, an experience which Mantel had herself.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:39 AM   #27612
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So next up: The Consuming Fire by John Scalzi.
Which was good. Although perhaps the baddies are a little too foolish.

And then I read A Bear Called Paddington which seems to have been silently updated to make the descriptions of money more up-to-date, but that's all, I think. There's still a seaside photographer using a plate camera!

And now I'm reading another Amelia Peabody - Thunder in the Sky.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:52 AM   #27613
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:

And now I'm reading another Amelia Peabody - Thunder in the Sky.
She's on my massive re-read list - I've got Ngaio Marsh, Margery Allingham, Ellis Peters' George Felse series, Amelia Peabody, and Pern all on my Clara waiting for to be re-read. In the case of all but Pern, but I figure 30 years is a long enough gap between reading to reinvest the mysteries with a sense of, well, mystery
Old 10-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #27614
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
And then I read A Bear Called Paddington which seems to have been silently updated to make the descriptions of money more up-to-date, but that's all, I think. There's still a seaside photographer using a plate camera!
That's one of my pet peeves; updating children's books in the first place and then being inconsistent on top of it! Not that I want Paddington to be taking selfies, but why not let the books alone? Kids aren't stupid and they can always ask if they're puzzled, a very good habit to inculcate.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #27615
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That's one of my pet peeves; updating children's books in the first place and then being inconsistent on top of it! Not that I want Paddington to be taking selfies, but why not let the books alone? Kids aren't stupid and they can always ask if they're puzzled, a very good habit to inculcate.
Well, it depends. The actual prices of things and the way they're expressed have nothing to do with the story itself, so having a completely unfamiliar to children (guessing*) one shilling pocket money replaced by a pound pocket money is OK by me.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-23-2018 at 10:27 AM.