Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
manybooks.net no longer listing daily specials

The website manybooks.net has suddenly quit posting a daily listing of books that are free or specially priced.

This was a great resource.

Anybody know another resource that might provide what manybooks.net used to provide?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
The website manybooks.net has suddenly quit posting a daily listing of books that are free or specially priced.

This was a great resource.

Anybody know another resource that might provide what manybooks.net used to provide?
There are lots of them.

I'll try to compile a list, but in the meantime, these two will be a good start:
- BookBub. Not a very long list each day, but the quality and prices of the books are good.
- Ereaderiq.com. Probably better known for their great services to ebook lovers, but they also have a great number of specials of the day, which you can sort by price, discount, subject, and several other criteria. I don't remember the path that you need to take to get to the daily specials-they used to be on the homepage, but they've moved them. So, you'll need to look around a little bit, or wait until I can ferret out the information.

If you're interested in our or more particular subjects, that would help me to include sites catering to those subjects, and exclude those that you're not interested in.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sites without a registration requirement are preferred.

Perhaps the romances and the mysteries/thrillers.

They need to be in epub format (for a Kobo A1)...not Kindle.

Last edited by petercreasey; 10-20-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
They need to be in epub format (for a Kobo A1)...not Kindle.
Converting books between Kindle format and ePub is very easy, and the simple fact is that more books go on offer at Amazon than elsewhere.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #5
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still receiving daily emails from "Lisa at manybooks.net." I opened the one that I received today, just fine. The message listed about a dozen ebooks.

There was a link, in the message that I opened, to the website for manybooks. It opens just fine for me. Could it be that somehow the messages that you were receiving are now being routed by your email program to the "spam" or "trash" folder? Or maybe you were kicked off of the mailing list for some unknown reason?

I signed up for their email messages a long time ago, but they weren't on my short list to check every day. So, I've very, very rarely opened one. Same for checking out their website. The website claims to have more than 50,000 (no, that's not a typo) free ebooks.

I think that I'll check their emails and website more often now, to see if I'm missing some good bargains.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-20-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard

Yes, that is the entry to their site now. Before just recently we could go there and it would show today's free books. Now it is hard to navigate to find the most recent free books.

I'll be interested to see what non-registration sites you can steer me to for epub books.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Only thing I can think of right now... Of course you have to register, but I'm pretty sure you already are registered there.
  1. https://www.kobo.com/us/en/p/free-ebooks
  2. Pick a category/genre
  3. Sort by date - newest

Otherwise there is https://www.ereaderiq.com/freebies/ but it's for Kindle books so... You'd have to find something you want and then search for it at Kobo, Google Play or another site to see if there is a free ePub version available.

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #8
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
My guess is that most of the books at manybooks.net that you can download for free are from the Project Gutenberg archive, which has over 57,000 ebooks. The one I downloaded from manybooks was, although I noticed other books that seem to be permanent freebies either at the major retailers or at author websites. I wasn't signed up for their email, but when I joined a few minutes ago, it gave me the option to sign up for it. I'm curious, do the emails provide links to all the major retailers? My preferred format is epub, but I also buy a few from Amazon.

Here are a couple of ebook bargain newsletters signup pages for US readers.
Early Bird books: Mostly from Open Road Media, but they also advertise books from Rosetta Books and others. Daily
Riffle Books: I think mostly books from Harper Collins and is a 3-4 times a week
Bookdealio: I think this one is weekly
Hatchette Book Group: I think this only does Hatchette books, and it's sporadic, 0-3 emails a week
eReaderIQ: Daily email and also has a service to email price drops for ebooks and authors at Amazon, links only to Amazon, and many freebies are only published at Amazon
BookBub: Daily email

Goodreads used to have a daily email, but they were bought by Amazon several years ago, and when they stopped about a month ago, they referred people to the Amazon Kindle Daily Deals. I guess Amazon would rather their subsidy not provide links to their competitors. You can sign up for a daily email from Amazon for the Kindle Daily Deals, but I just use a bookmark with my browser.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 10-20-2018 at 08:59 PM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:51 PM   #9
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I wasn't aware of a couple of the ebook bargain newsletters. But I've also got a couple or more that are not on your list, that I'll try to gather together and share, before long.

Yeah, it was pretty much a "given" that more than a few of the 57,000+ free ebooks came from a site like Gutenberg. And the way that they expressed the fact made me think that most, if not all, of these are free all of the time. If we knew that they were curated, and not some picked out by random, it might be worthwhile to scan through the genres and subgenres, among those, that we're interested in.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:47 PM   #10
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Good suggestions bgalbrecht, I also recommend https://www.bookgorilla.com/ (daily email).
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:13 PM   #11
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, that is the entry to their site now. Before just recently we could go there and it would show today's free books. Now it is hard to navigate to find the most recent free books.

I'll be interested to see what non-registration sites you can steer me to for epub books.
I've noticed that same action by other websites. Christianbook, for example, used to send by email, daily (Sunday thru Saturday!), a short list (3 or 4) of good, bargain ebooks. Inexplicably, they quit doing that about a year ago. I think that the specials are still around, they're just buried amongst lists, on their website, of other bargains now. Strange marketing decision, it seems to me.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #12
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Manybooks' Collection of FREE Ebooks Has Just Been Reduced by 20,000.

At least, that is what it would seem.

For some reason, I decided to scroll all the way down today's emailed list of bargain books. There was this short statement: "Love free eBooks? Don't forget that we have more than _30,000_ free eBooks available for download at ManyBooks [emphasis mine, G]."

You will remember that, at the beginning of the message, it says/said "more than 50,000."
Old 10-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #13
petercreasey
Wizard

Here you go...https://deals.manybooks.net.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #14
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Here are some additions to bgalbrecht's excellent list of places on the web which send out lists of deals on a regular basis. The links are to webpages where you can subscribe to the lists.

Not Publisher-Specific.
Bargain Booksy. Oddly, the selection of ebooks in the page that they send you may not seem very desirable. But follow the link near the top of the page or near the bottom of the page, to all of their bargain books, and I think that you will be much more pleased.

Books Butterfly. The name and number of email messages that you get depends upon which one(s) and how many of them that you sign up for. They all appear in the "to" area of your inbox, in this format: "Free Kindle . . ., "Free Apple . . .," etc. They include the U.K. and Canada.

The Fussy Librarian. [I've had experience with a few of them. Fussy librarians, I mean, G].

Early Bird Books. To subscribe, click on the "subscribe" link in the extreme top righthand corner; a popup should appear, in which you can plug in your information in order to get on their mailing list.

Publisher-Specific.
Macmillan. When you finish checking the first page, click on the "here" link near the bottom of that page, and you will see many more deals.

Endeavor Media.

Chronicle Books. Their specials are good for a calendar month; but what they lack in frequency, they make up in discount. I saw price points of $0.99, $1.99, and $2.99, in this month's list, and noticed one ebook with a $30 retail price. To score even more great deals, click on "shop all deals," near the top of the first emailed page. I have a highly favorable impression of the quality of Chronicle's ebooks.

Ebook Extra. It's easy to overlook their emails because the name is so prosaic. Tyndale Publishing Company is behind those email messages. To squeeze the most deals out of their mailings, be sure to click on the yellow banner at the bottom of the first page of the email message.

More Later . . . .

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-23-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #15
petercreasey
Wizard

G, thanks so far!