Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know about the Android eReaders, but Kindles and Kobos definitely can't access SD cards via a USB OTG cable.
I was thinking plugging the Kindle into a smartphone using an OTG cable and the phone would see the Kindle as a mass storage device? I may be way off base with this suggestion.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I was thinking plugging the Kindle into a smartphone using an OTG cable and the phone would see the Kindle as a mass storage device? I may be way off base with this suggestion.
No, you know more about this than I do. That might work. As a matter of fact, I think I'll test it out with the Fire tablet and one of my eReaders.

EDIT: Tested this from my Fire to various Kindles (Keyboard, Touch, Basic 8th Gen) and even a Sony PRS-650. Worked. My Blackberry Q10 doesn't support OTA, but I'm guessing that any phone that does should be able to do this. I would make sure the device your transferring files to is fully charged, so it doesn't pull down on your phone's (or tablet's) battery. I had Sony T2 that "almost worked" but the battery was nearly dead, so I think it was pulling too much juice from the tablet. On the Fire I've got (I think it's named) ES File Explorer as my file manager (though, I'm guessing any Android file manager would work). ES File Explorer allows you to show hidden files. Meant to mention: Several times I put the OTA cable on the Reader side instead of the phone/tablet side (since it was microUSB to microUSB at the ends). That doesn't work. The OTA cable has to be on the phone/tablet side.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-20-2018 at 07:50 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #18
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
rcentros: Wow, that's very clever but a bit complex.

Presumably both the OP and her mum have computers. Couldn't the OP load some books onto a thumb drive, put these onto her mother's computer, then transfer them to the kindle, or whatever, using a usb cable? Seems simpler.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Presumably both the OP and her mum have computers.
I certainly wouldn't make that assumption. No Internet suggests no computer!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #20
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry, one of my close friends has a computer but no internet connection. Although she watches masses of tv, she believes the internet wastes time, and she's a technophobe. The only reason for the computer is that she occasionally writes.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Presumably both the OP and her mum have computers. Couldn't the OP load some books onto a thumb drive, put these onto her mother's computer, then transfer them to the kindle, or whatever, using a usb cable? Seems simpler.
Yes, if she has a computer thumb drives would definitely be the simpler solution. But for some reason I got the impression that the OP's mom didn't "do" computers. I may be wrong about that, however.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:55 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I would have never thought of it if John F hadn't mentioned it. I already had an OTA cable for hooking up my Alphasmart Neo to my tablet so thought I would test it for this use as well.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
look back to #1
OPs issue is that it is going to somewhere with no internet- hence need for an SD card or an alternative workaround

some older used kobos - like the aura HD which we still have - have SD card slots
I do this with one of my older relatives who does not have a home computer or WiFi. She and friends hit a local MickieD's a couple of mornings a week for coffee and muffin and then a walk around a nearby park. Her H2O is set with it's home page pointing to my calibre server. I let her know her new books are ready and on her next outing, she connects, logs in and downloads her books. Not the greatest solution but it works for us.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-21-2018 at 10:30 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would have never thought of it if John F hadn't mentioned it. I already had an OTA cable for hooking up my Alphasmart Neo to my tablet so thought I would test it for this use as well.
And I think I heard it mentioned on MR previously.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #25
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Oh, that's what an OTA cable is! I have a few of those for my printer and one for each of my two Neos.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I believe it is OTG, not OTA.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It is indeed. Short for USB "on the go".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Oh, that's what an OTA cable is! I have a few of those for my printer and one for each of my two Neos.
Nah, the OTG (sorry about confusing the issue by using "OTA") has some kind of adapter circuit in it (I think). My USB printer cable plugs into the OTG cable for the Alphasmart. Or I can plug a thumb drive into the OTG so I can have extra files on my tablet (not that I've ever used it for that, though I've tested it). Mostly my OTG cable (adapter?) sits in my computer bag doing nothing.

They don't cost much anymore. Here's a link to three for $6 from Amazon. Your device has to be "OTG capable."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YOX4JU6...540159283&sr=1

Last edited by rcentros; 10-21-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Sorry, yes, OTG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is indeed. Short for USB "on the go".
That should help me remember.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I do this with one of my older relatives who does not have a home computer or WiFi. She and and friends hit a local MickieD's a couple of mornings a week for coffee and muffin and then a walk around a nearby park. Her H2O is set with it's home page pointing to my calibre server. I let her know her new books are ready and on her next outing, she connects, logs in and downloads her books. Not the greatest solution but it works for us.
Sounds like a pretty good solution to me.