Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 09-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
johnrsmith
Enthusiast
johnrsmith began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
PDF reader for the Lenovo ThinkPad 2 tablet?

I love using Moon + Reader on my Kobo, but I can't get it to download to my Lenovo ThinkPad 2 running Windows 10. I have Adobe Reader but I like to be able to tap the bottom of the page to turn to the next page. I normally use it on the elliptical machine so my hands are not free to swipe in order to turn pages which I have to do with Adobe Reader.

Is there an app for the ThinkPad either free or paid that would allow me to read PDF files and simply tap the screen to turn pages?
johnrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
moon+ is android. there is no windows version

if the hardware is touchscreen, what about using the windows 10 default - MS Edge browser as your PDF reader. I am guessing that supports touch controls, but if it not customisable then I am sure a google search will suggest other options..
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
There are any number of PDF viewers/readers available for Windows 10. Some are Desktop apps and some are Universal (nee Modern) apps. The latter generally work better for devices running in the Tablet Mode.

I haven't explored many as I generally read ePub, AZW, or MOBI on my Win10 tablet. I have several Desktop apps that I use at times, Foxit most often, but for reading PDF format ebooks without a keyboard and mouse attached I generally use Book Bazaar Reader, which is available in the MS Store. I also supports ePub, though for ePub I use Freda more often these days. I'm a bit fickle and frequently switch preferences between BBR, Freda, and my Kindle K3 (I'm Kindle biased this month...).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:51 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

if you really really want moon + in windows, install the blue stacks android emualtor ( which is free) and run it that way. but moving data ( your PDFs )between windows & the emulated android environment is a pain, and i have no idea how efficiently the app will run .
treat this as a last resort suggestion

https://www.bluestacks.com/

i have used blue stacks as a safe way to get at paid for app APKs which amazon in their wisdom, say are incompatible for my fire tablet. ( but A. will send them to blue stacks ok , then I can use backup and restore apps to get the installers ) . i needed lots of help from google to get the amazon & google store apps working in bluestacks, move the apk copies out....
Old 09-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
johnrsmith
Enthusiast
johnrsmith began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried simply using Edge but I couldn't find a way that would turn pages with a tap which I need while I'm using the elliptical machine. Using en emulator sounds complicated, but if nothing else works, I'll figure out how to do it.

Thanks again for the replies.
johnrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:49 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard

i am not a touch screen expert but are there touch interface apps you can use that map your taps as needed to suit apps such as edge
e.g. for my physical remotes, I use a program called intelliremote that intercepts and maps remotes' key presses, replacing them with specific keyboard/mouse etc actions, and that can also be set to change its mapping depending what program is in focus at the time

google touch screen gesture mapping

Last edited by stumped; 09-28-2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #7
flameproof
flameproof began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I wanted to ask the same question: I have a 14" Lenovo flip notebook and I have plenty of PDF to read.

What I tried:
Edge - it works but it's a browser and works like a browser.

Foxit - It's OK, but on my 8Gb i5 panning through a page feels laggy.

Sumatra - extremely liteweight (7Mb) and mobile - can run from USB stick. But you can't touch zoom into the page. Touch seems not to work. Pity.

Xodo - Didn't like that. Slow.

Adobe Touch - The very last one I considered - and by far the best one. It's free. It has a all pages thumbnail few and a very small frame. Pages flip horizontally - I really love that!
flameproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sumatra is VERY slow compared to free Lite version of PDF xchange from Tracker Software. Download the basic version of "editor" and select custom install and the minimum options.

Customise toolbars and you can minimise the stupid ribbon. Keep the status bar to to have touch < and > to change page.

I use it in Portrait mode on a 10" tablet. Unlike Android you can't use volume buttons to change page? Summatra is sadly too slow as it does work with touch swipe to change page.

I ONLY use the 10" tablet for PDFs!

Using ANY browser for PDF is madness.
Nitro has good reviews but you have to register even for free version. So no.
Foxit was my choice a few years ago. Far too bloated.

"More than 60% of the features in PDF-XChange Editor do not require a license to use. The remaining features, which are clearly identified, will place a 'trial' watermark on output if they are used without a license."
So only install basic features and it's free!

Last edited by Quoth; 02-28-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote