Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
JBL fails on de-DRMed Amazon multivolume sets

Well, this is interesting. I figured I'd post here to see if anyone has encountered anything similar.

First, I'm using a JetBook Lite with the latest (last) firmware update. I'm also using Calibre 1.0 and the latest "tools."

I recently bought some "box sets" at Amazon -- multiple ebooks packaged as a single file. I liberated them from DRM, resulting in DRM free MOBI and AZW3 files. I then converted them to EPUBs. Nothing out of the ordinary, so far. This is what I do whenever I buy ebooks at Amazon.

The problem is trying to read them on the JBL. When I try to open the converted EPUBs I get the Hourglass icon for a few seconds, then the screen blanks to gray, and then it goes to the main screen -- the screen that allows you to select ebooks, photos, or administration. If I try to open the DRM free MOBI or AZW3 files it goes to the hourglass icon and stays there forever -- or, for as long as I've left it. I have to use the paperclip reset to use the JBL again.

These same DRM-free files work perfectly for reading in Calibre and when transferred to an Android tablet and opened with Aldiko.

No single volume ebooks I've gotten from Amazon have caused problems for the JBL -- not as MOBI or AZW3 files, and not as EPUBs.

Other "box set" or omnibus collections I've gotten from Barnes & Noble and Smashwords all work fine.

Has anyone encountered anything similar? I'd be interested in any suggestions.

I'd also be happy to split the "box sets" into their component volumes, if necessary. Can anyone suggest a way to do this? (Linux tools preferred.)
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I'd also be happy to split the "box sets" into their component volumes, if necessary. Can anyone suggest a way to do this? (Linux tools preferred.)
There's an ePub split plug-in for Calibre. I usually use that to initially split and then Sigil to tweak things in the individual volumes.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I'll see if that helps. I'd still like to know what the bug is, though.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
cromag

Okay, just a quick and dirty test on one multi-volume set so far, but the Epub Split plug-in for Calibre seems to work. The individual books that I split from the "box set" all open fine on the JBL and seem readable.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
cromag, as I recall, in 2010 one of the guys uploaded to the MR library an Oz Omnibus of 10 or 12 stories by L. Frank Baum.

I couldn't get it to work on my JBL. The hourglass never stopped.

That was so long ago, I don't remember the details regarding the format and such. I just deleted the file.

So I've just always figured that the JBL can't handle files larger than 1 meg.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #6
cromag

File size may be a factor, but it can't be the only issue. Two of the three "box sets" from Amazon that choked the JBL came in at 1.8 MB, but one was only 0.7 MB.

Meanwhile, I have a couple of Jack Vance's Omnibus (multi-volume) ebooks that I got from Barnes and Noble and worked just fine on the JBL -- The Demon Princes comes in at 3.0 MB, and The Cadwal Chronicles comes in at 3.3 MB.

I think Amazon, and the subsequent conversion, must be part of the picture. Of course, I might have to take a look at the Oz Omnibus, too.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I have the OZ Omnibus on my JBL, it's only 2MB. I also have several history ebooks that are over 5MBs each. I remember having to do some work on the OZ Omnibus to get to work though, don't recall what I did though.

Looking at it on my AuraHD, I remember that it was the pictures at the start that needed fixing for the JBL to accept the OZ Omnibus.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-26-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
bumpity
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
cromag

Hmmm ... I kept the pictures when I split the original epub, but there weren't very many -- just the cover, as I recall.