Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about DRM?
DRM doesn't bother me. As long as I can read a book on a computer I don't care. 18 6.41%
DRM is evil and should be done away with entirely. 200 71.17%
Quit whining about DRM, it's a dead horse. 13 4.63%
If DRM were a dead horse, DRM would be dead. 9 3.20%
DRM is a useful tool that prevents piracy. 4 1.42%
Some other option not thought of for this poll 37 13.17%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #91
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I do think it's a good idea - for library books. <snip>
I agree 100%. I can think of no legimate reason for removing DRM from library books.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #92
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Yes, I do think it's a good idea - for library books. To repeat the question I've just asked Harmon, how could a library lend eBooks without DRM?
I have no objection to time-limiting DRM for library ebooks.

I think the poll and this discussion is really about ebook purchases.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #93
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Exactly. I'm cool with Library books having some encrypted code attached to them that make it so books can be borrowed and returned accordingly. That's why library books didn't enter my radar when I made the poll.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #94
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
Calibre (with 3rd party plugin) removes DRM so seamlessly that I usually don't even notice if DRM is present. So for me DRM is evil in the way a wet noodle is evil.
My Calibre plugin quit working two months ago so I'm shut out again.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #95
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
My Calibre plugin quit working two months ago so I'm shut out again.
The current plugins work fine with the current calibre. If you have problems, asking questions at Apprentice Alf's blog will probably help you get sorted out.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #96
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Agreed about library books having DRM protection. I've written elsewhere on MR lately about my opinion of DRM otherwise, but my signature should make it clear.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #97
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Yes, I do think it's a good idea - for library books. To repeat the question I've just asked Harmon, how could a library lend eBooks without DRM?
They could do what our central library - the first to start loaning ebooks here, from January this year - just did and loan ebooks that can only be read in the computer, in the browser, online.

No downloading, no reading from e-readers.

*headdesks, massively*
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #98
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
They could do what our central library - the first to start loaning ebooks here, from January this year - just did and loan ebooks that can only be read in the computer, in the browser, online.

No downloading, no reading from e-readers.

*headdesks, massively*
Most people wouldn't consider that to be better than those files having DRM. I hate reading books on a computer screen.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #99
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Most people wouldn't consider that to be better than those files having DRM. I hate reading books on a computer screen.
I completely agree. I think it's a horrible solution, really, and I wouldn't borrow library books that way (even if there was anything more to borrow than a handful of press releases and sheet music, which is currently pretty much the extent of "ebooks" available in library here).

So, yes, I'd much rather have DRM for this use. But it is a way for library ebook borrowing to work without DRM... just a really bad way.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #100
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The current plugins work fine with the current calibre. If you have problems, asking questions at Apprentice Alf's blog will probably help you get sorted out.
Thank you. It turned out to be a Kindle problem.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #101
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
The poll creator is a newbie who doesn't realize that DRM has been done to death here and that the traditional anti DRM argument (DRMdoesntworkagainstpiracyandinconveniencestechie consumerssoDRMisevil!!!) is insufficient. I would ask that she add more options to reflect the advancing debate.

1. DRM is seen by the publisher as a useful tool to prevent unlimited casual sharing by unsophisticated consumers across networks of family and friends. In this way it protects lost sales and thus makes economic sense to bestselling authors and their publishers.

2. DRM is necessary for facilitating library lending.

Last edited by stonetools; 02-12-2012 at 08:11 PM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #102
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I've actually read archives, and have seen that DRM is a frequent topic. Even by people who have had accounts here for many years, and even recently. (and some older members who participated and brought their opinions to the thread)

I've had an account here for nearly a year now (and started reading the forums as well as downloading the classic books from here, for many months prior), and still hold the same opinions about drm as I did then.

So the "newbie" thing somehow diminishing my opinion isn't gonna wash with me nor make me crawl into some corner while I watch the big boys play. Sorry.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 02-12-2012 at 07:38 PM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #103
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
The poll creator is a newbie who doesn't realize...<snip>
Please watch out with statements like that.

Spindlegirl's postcount is just a third of your's, but her karma is almost 7 times higher. It seems she often says things that hold some value, at least in other people's eyes.

My account is even worse. With only around 1/10th the number of posts compared to you, I should be considered an even "newer" newbie, but even so, my Karma score is 3 times higher than your's already, and my account being two years older.

Watch out for the numbers on forums, because they're just like statistics: often wrong, and many times useless to base statements on.

(And that's all I'll ever say about it, lest I turn into the dreaded wannabe-moderator.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #104
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I've actually read archives, and have seen that DRM is a frequent topic. Even by people who have had accounts here for many years, and even recently. (and some older members who participated and brought their opinions to the thread)

I've had an account here for nearly a year now (and started reading the forums as well as downloading the classic books from here, for many months prior), and still hold the same opinions about drm as I did then.

So the "newbie" thing somehow diminishing my opinion isn't gonna wash with me nor make me crawl into some corner while I watch the big boys play. Sorry.
Hey, I didn't mean to diminish or disrespect your opinion. Your opinion is after all the majority opinion around here (indeed most people here simply view it as revealed truth ). I was just suggesting some options that would add variety and reflect another, albeit unpopular viewpoint. And to me, you are a newbie. Sorry if my post made you feel diminished.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #105
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Please watch out with statements like that.

Spindlegirl's postcount is just a third of your's, but her karma is almost 7 times higher. It seems she often says things that hold some value, at least in other people's eyes.

My account is even worse. With only around 1/10th the number of posts compared to you, I should be considered an even "newer" newbie, but even so, my Karma score is 3 times higher than your's already, and my account being two years older.

Watch out for the numbers on forums, because they're just like statistics: often wrong, and many times useless to base statements on.

(And that's all I'll ever say about it, lest I turn into the dreaded wannabe-moderator.)
Guess I need to watch it. As for karma, karma reflects popularity -and my opinion on this matter isn't popular. You might want to at least consider that popular doesn't mean right.

Tags
drm