Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #16
reaperhk
reaperhk began at the beginning.

Device: Sont PRS-T1
It seems M92 is quite good..
and also .. JetBook Color is coming... similar price in color eink, waiting for the review
reaperhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #17
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, the Wacom screen uses very little power. iRex devices have a rather poor battery life, but that has nothing to do with the touch screen. The reason for the poor battery life is that iRex never properly implemented a sleep mode for the device. I have an iRex DR1000S myself.
I am not so sure, the DR800 I have supposedly has a real sleep mode. Still, after 4-5 days of not using it the battery is dead. I think the batteries of these devices are not very powerful in the first place and even the Wacom might suck enough power to empty it within a few days. But we can only speculate.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #18
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Thanks for the ups on the bad reviews.
In other words, if the M90 is just as bad as the M91, I might as well go with the Pocketbook. The M92 is just too far outside of my price range!
I don't think I want to fork out $400 for an ebook reader!

I heard the Jetbook Color would be 800x600 pixels, though I find it hard to believe, it would be a real turn down if it was true;

About the Notion Ink Adam, it comes with a low power battery, and with it's 1024x600 pix does not meet the 1024x768 resolution requirement.
At 1024x768 it's already pretty hard to read pdf's at full screen resolution!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #19
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
JetBook Color - it should have 1600x1200 in monochrome mode.
I am waiting for some high-res pictures + review on this one.

But none of the mentioned is above 10". PixelQI looks pretty much dead, Mirasol will blow it away...

There is also the Hanlin A9:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Hanlin_A9
But this is Sipix not e-ink, quality is not so good.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #20
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How about the Entourage Edge? Sells for $119 on ebay....
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
I don't think this will work that way. Eink Triton creates color using a thin transparent colored filter arrary (CFA) in front of the black and white display. As long as this CFA cannot change its color, I don't think eink Triton can create 1600* 1200 BW image.

This product seems to be based on Hanvon C920 while Hanvon has greyscale version (Hanvon WISEreader E920) as well. So, I emailed Ectaco whether they have any plan to release the greyscale version in US, they replied that they have no plan to do so.

Last edited by soilwork; 12-12-2011 at 02:48 PM.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
An iPad that has a resolution of 124x768 works fine for reading PDF. The screen is large enough and using the GoodReader app, it allows zooming so that you can do away with the visible margins and reading will be just fine.

To be honest, unless there 9.7" screen eink readers are able to allow you to crop the margins, a lot of PDF just won't look all that good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No.. The JetBook color is only 800x600. It uses a color layer on top of the 1600x1200 screen to generate the colors. It uses multiple pixels to do the color. Because of this layer, there is no such think as monochrome mode. You'll never get 1600x1200.

What would have been better (IMHO) is to forgo the color and go with a large screen eink (non-color) reader with 1600x1200 resolution. That would have made it very nice instead of just a curiosity and not all that nice.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaperhk View Post
It seems M92 is quite good..
and also .. JetBook Color is coming... similar price in color eink, waiting for the review
The OP wants at least 1024x768. The JetBook color is 800x600.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #25
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's too bad! I was convinced they just used other pigment in the pixels, meaning, instead of black or white for the monochrome display, they used blue/white, red/white, and yellowor green/white pigments.
I haven't read up on it though, so my assumption may have been wrong.

I never thought it would have used an over-layer.

My issue is what kind of screen are they using?
An 3 color (RGB) based, or a 4 color based (RGB & Black)?

From the manufacturers website:
Quote:
The 9.68" PVI EPD screen with a display resolution of 1600 (H) * 1200 (W) is exceptionally crisp, clear, and fast
If the screen is using a 4 color based (1600x1200 pixels), Blackvoid could be right in that, in order for text to be black, it needs to use the dark side of both R/G and B pixels. Even though the resolution may not exactly be 1600x1200, there could be some pixellation-rendering happening, which means that on angled lines (not exactly horizontal or vertical) and on rounded edges of a black line/curve or letters, there might be some red/blue/green pixels visible sticking out of the black contour, much like when you take a magnifying glass and look at most modern monitors, LCD's and TV's, the finer rendering.
According to the video I saw, the engineer said it was a very detailed screen, which would not have been the case if it had a standard 800x600 screen.

In other words, softwarematically it is possible to use Blue, Green (or Yellow), and Red pixels to add detail/resolution to jagged edges (in the video card industry is what they call this Anti-Aliasing). It gives the appearance of a more detailed text at the cost of some minor color deviation. If you can live with the tiny color specs on the edges of a black text it'll be a good solution

It might be possible that PDF's will be pretty readable on the jetbook. It would be the 9" device with the highest pixel density I've

The Hanlin A9 is yet another device I want to add to the arsenal of large paper readers, however it only has a 400Mhz processor, which could be painfully slow in rendering PDF's.
It would be slower than a 200Mhz processor rendering on a regular 6" e-ink reader!

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-12-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:17 AM   #26
BlackVoid
Evangelist

Ectaco Jetbook picture:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-U0pAwSubIP...front_page.jpg

This looks better than 800x600. Unfortunately the jpg compression makes it hard to judge. This is the only good quality high-res photo that I could find.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Ectaco Jetbook picture:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-U0pAwSubIP...front_page.jpg

This looks better than 800x600. Unfortunately the jpg compression makes it hard to judge. This is the only good quality high-res photo that I could find.
That has to be a doctored image. No way is 800x600 going to look that good. The diagonal lines will not look so smooth. Another bit of BS from Etaco. They did this when they had their comparison chart comparing the JetBook to Sony and Amazon.

I cannot believe anything Ectaco says in terms of markecting. They say 1600x1200 resolution when we know for sure it is 800x600. Then we have this photo that is not showing an actual screen.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:23 AM   #28
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I received a mail from ectaco, and the engineer is ensuring me that the image quality (level of detail) exceeds that of a Kindle DX, or any other B/W e-ink screen!
Seeing that they won't say this of a screen that has 800x600 screen, as they are common in 6" e-ink readers, and the Kindle DX has a higher resolution than this,
I think it's fairly safe to say that the resolution is more than 800x600 pixels, and even if not, that you'd have to take in account that this 800x600 pixels actually are divided in 4 sub pixels, as where with regular e-ink screens, the 800x600 resolution is not divided in sub pixels. Thus essentially even if the Jetbook color had only 800x600 pixels, it still has 4 times the amount of pixels of a regular e-ink screen; as well as about twice the surface size
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #29
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That has to be a doctored image. No way is 800x600 going to look that good. The diagonal lines will not look so smooth. Another bit of BS from Etaco.
I think "simulation" might be the word you're looking for. That is, not real at all. I also find it hard to believe that the 600x800 colour resolution can look at all decent for a page of text on a 9.7" screen, much as I would love it to be true. Can't wait for someone to get their hands on one and take some decent, in focus, close up high resolution photos.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
ProDigit
Karmaniac

You'll have to wait until mid january for that!
If anyone already pre-ordered it, I'll wait for his review! Otherwise I might buy one and make the first review.