Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #16
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
Well, I think I partially answered my own question. Apparently the Nook Color gets about 8 hours of reading per charge (assuming WiFi is off) whereas my iPad is closer to 16 or 20 hours (with WiFi off). Is that really worth the extra $150?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
Now I'm really torn again...
I was just shopping down at BestBuy for some Mac adapters and stumbled across the color Nook. The screen is an inch (maybe more?) taller than the 650 so more text (of a given size) can fit. The user interface is simple to configure font, size, margins (very much like the iPad). Apparently, it can be "rooted" to expose the Android OS underpinning the BN user eReader interface. The back-lit LCD is razor-sharp and the backlighting may be controlled precisely. BestBuy has it for $249 and the left-over iPads are $399. So why should I spend $150 more on an iPad if I can get a color Nook which will open all of my non-DRM'd ePubs, pdf's, etc.?

Hey! I bleed in six colors but I'm having trouble being an Apple fan-boy (especially when the extra $150 will help me buy a 15" Macbook Pro rather than the 13").

I'm confused and it's getting worse...
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #17
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
My decision was made easier. My dad decided he liked my iPad enough to keep it and told me to buy one for myself to replace the one I gave him. I ordered a 32GB black WiFi model from PCConectionExpress.com this evening; it should arrive in about 2 weeks or so.

So I guess I'll be selling my Sony 650 in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
Well, I think I partially answered my own question. Apparently the Nook Color gets about 8 hours of reading per charge (assuming WiFi is off) whereas my iPad is closer to 16 or 20 hours (with WiFi off). Is that really worth the extra $150?
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I'd say the two major issues are the differences in screen sizes, and the differences in the apps available for the two platforms. If neither of those is a big issue for you, then the Nook Color well worth considering.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote