Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #16
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Is this it?

http://m.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/31037
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:30 AM   #17
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
To me this looks about the right size if you want books/movies/games/web, and if it's not the real deal, I thinks it's the closest to what we might see.

EDIT: And thinking about it, if you gave me one of those with a 32-64GB SSD, the ability to pair up a bluetooh/keyboard mouse, USB for external storage and the ability to hook it up via HDMI to a TV I'd buy one in an instant to replace my whole setup.

EDIT #2: There's also a rumor that this thing is going to cost $350!!

Last edited by Moejoe; 01-26-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 06:21 AM   #18
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I will almost certainly buy one but if it looked like that i think i might buy 2

That does look amazing. yes i know its probably another fake.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 AM   #19
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Here's another rumor I just picked up on - apparently the iPhone was an offshoot of this project rather than the other way around. This device has been in development for years and is Jobs's 'magnum opus'. Again, this is a rumor I picked up, nothing that can be verified, but it's interesting in the light of what Jobs said recently.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #20
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
It's just dawned on me that if it uses the iPhone apps, I can download and read kindle books on it. Or perhaps apple won't be too keen on that idea if they're having their own ebook store.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #21
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
It's just dawned on me that if it uses the iPhone apps, I can download and read kindle books on it. Or perhaps apple won't be too keen on that idea if they're having their own ebook store.
Maybe yes however if the Apps run in their original resolution in a dashboard type set up eg multiple apps on a screen, the kindle book would only be on a quarter of the screen.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #22
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Resolution independence is a technology Apple has been developing for years, so any iPhone / iPod Touch app w/ text should be able to adapt to the new screen size, so long as it isn't hard-coded to a fixed pixel size anywhere.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:19 AM   #23
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Resolution independence is a technology Apple has been developing for years, so any iPhone / iPod Touch app w/ text should be able to adapt to the new screen size, so long as it isn't hard-coded to a fixed pixel size anywhere.

William
Good point I forget the name of that but i was looking at something the other day about it.. quixlye or something
Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Do we now have a cost on the mythical tablet? Macrumours seems to think so
The Register is reporting that this may have been a hoax.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #25
Moejoe
Banned

This is a tech concept demo for Microsoft's Courier tablet, if the iPad/slate is anywhere near this, then we have a game changing device on our hands.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #26
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Register is reporting that this may have been a hoax.
Hoax confirmed at Techcrunch also

http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/01/26...t-to-be-bogus/
Old 01-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #27
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
This is a tech concept demo for Microsoft's Courier tablet, if the iPad/slate is anywhere near this, then we have a game changing device on our hands.
the 2 screens seems redundant though.

for the most part the person is only using one screen then when they do use two they are basically dragging a name from a MASSIVE full screen contact list surely tapping on the post it note which then opens up contacts on the same screen to allow choosing the contact would be just as easy?

there is never really anything taht needs 2 screens or even makes things easier.

one screen would increase battery life and reduce weight. I just cant imagine any use that NEEDS two screens or is significantly better to justify the extra weight, cost and battery use.

this in a single screen device would be another cool entry.

QUICK THOUGHT

what if my iPhone linked to my itablet so i have contact open on my iphone and can do that dragging motion over to my tablet! or compose email on my tablet and drag it left onto my iPhone

that would be SWEET.

Last edited by stustaff; 01-26-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #28
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
the 2 screens seems redundant though.

for the most part the person is only using one screen then when they do use two they are basically dragging a name from a MASSIVE full screen contact list surely tapping on the post it note which then opens up contacts on the same screen to allow choosing the contact would be just as easy?

there is never really anything taht needs 2 screens or even makes things easier.

one screen would increase battery life and reduce weight. I just cant imagine any use that NEEDS two screens or is significantly better to justify the extra weight, cost and battery use.

this in a single screen device would be another cool entry.

QUICK THOUGHT

what if my iPhone linked to my itablet so i have contact open on my iphone and can do that dragging motion over to my tablet! or compose email on my tablet and drag it left onto my iPhone

that would be SWEET.
It's only a tech demo after all, but what I think it's aiming for and what I hope the iSlate might approach is a more natural metaphor for interacting with computers. We've had a long run with the mouse/keyboard and files/folders metaphor (everything having something or other to do with business and office), which is all good and well, but I believe we're heading into a more naturalistic interaction with the computer in the upcoming years. An interaction that will be exemplified by the use of touch and possibly voice. Instead of point and click, I think it will be 'touch and speak'. The metaphor works better and there is really 'nothing to learn' because it's such a natural expression of what we already do.

Recently I've been working on designing my website and have been moving towards this simple 'touch' metaphor. It's amazing how much can be stripped away while still retaining essential information once you start designing with 'touch' in mind.

*Now officially excited about Apple's announcement*
Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #29
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
It's only a tech demo after all, but what I think it's aiming for and what I hope the iSlate might approach is a more natural metaphor for interacting with computers. We've had a long run with the mouse/keyboard and files/folders metaphor (everything having something or other to do with business and office), which is all good and well, but I believe we're heading into a more naturalistic interaction with the computer in the upcoming years. An interaction that will be exemplified by the use of touch and possibly voice. Instead of point and click, I think it will be 'touch and speak'. The metaphor works better and there is really 'nothing to learn' because it's such a natural expression of what we already do.

Recently I've been working on designing my website and have been moving towards this simple 'touch' metaphor. It's amazing how much can be stripped away while still retaining essential information once you start designing with 'touch' in mind.

*Now officially excited about Apple's announcement*
oh i agree with the philosophy and would like this if not for the 'cost' of having to run two screens.
Definately nicer and less reliant on a 'pointing' device.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #30
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Most comics have scenes where the panels run across two pages. Reading those on a tablet is a pita as even if you rotate and view length wise you still have to zoom in as the text is too small.

Even a dual screen device would be less than ideal however as you'd still get a sizable gap between the pages. But in general, for reading comics, a dual screen device would be much preferable.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote