Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Adobe Buzzword now Exports to ePub

This news just in from the Adobe Blogs. Their online word processor Buzzwords can now directly export to ePub! Is this the all-in-one easy to use ePub creator we've been clamouring for?

LINK:http://blogs.adobe.com/acom/2009/03/whats_the_diff.html

I made an ePub directly from within Buzzwords to test this out (of the blog posting about the updated features). You can download it here to test the output:http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5...4e75f6e8ebb871

Last edited by Moejoe; 03-16-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added download
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
This news just in from the Adobe Blogs. Their online word processor Buzzwords can now directly export to ePub! Is this the all-in-one easy to use ePub creator we've been clamouring for?

LINK:http://blogs.adobe.com/acom/2009/03/whats_the_diff.html
This looks interesting. I've been using Acrobat dot com to convert WORD documents to PDF and it works great. I'll have to try one of my non-drm'd pdf books and see how it looks.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
This looks interesting. I've been using Acrobat dot com to convert WORD documents to PDF and it works great. I'll have to try one of my non-drm'd pdf books and see how it looks.

WDE.
Well I just tested their blog posting (outputted as ePub) in Calibre, imports great, reflows WITH the pictures in the right place. Not tested on my iTouch yet, but the way its reflowing indicates this is near as we're going to get to perfect.

Gonna try it on a PDF next
Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned

Won't import PDF's (should have remembered that one from the last time I tried).
Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'll have to give this a try, the functionality looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully the conversions are actually well done.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned

I've thrown about 6 or 7 documents through it, some more complicated than others, and they've all been great in Calibre (can't test on iTouch until I pick it up from where i left it last night). The ePub export is done in a matter of seconds. Man, this is good stuff
Old 03-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've been using Adobe Pro 9 almost exclusively for things I must re-format for my 505. No probs yet, except occasionally runs some dialog together when it is a bunch of quotes in conversation. Nothing I can't fix (or, seeing as how I'm so lazy) just live with. Not a big problem in reading.

I think this is basically the same Adobe program as the online version.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I've been using Adobe Pro 9 almost exclusively for things I must re-format for my 505. No probs yet, except occasionally runs some dialog together when it is a bunch of quotes in conversation. Nothing I can't fix (or, seeing as how I'm so lazy) just live with. Not a big problem in reading.

I think this is basically the same Adobe program as the online version.
I didn't know Adobe Pro 9 could export to ePub?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't know Adobe Pro 9 could export to ePub?
Sorry, I guess this thread was getting too technical for me to understand. I use Adobe Pro 9 to re-format other books, then read the ADE versions on my 505. Works great!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Sorry, I guess this thread was getting too technical for me to understand. I use Adobe Pro 9 to re-format other books, then read the ADE versions on my 505. Works great!

Sorry, it was me who misunderstood
Old 03-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Sorry, it was me who misunderstood
No, it was me. I think I misunderstood the whole thread. I'm no use as a tech person. My job here is comedy.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
These are the file formats that it will import. This is the error message I got when trying to import a PDF book.

This document could not be imported. Its file type is either an unsupported format or from an older version of a supported application. Buzzword supports Rich Text Format (.rtf), Microsoft Word 2003 or later, Microsoft Word XML, OpenDocument Text (.odt), and plain text (.txt).

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #13
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
This news just in from the Adobe Blogs. Their online word processor Buzzwords can now directly export to ePub!
It would be interesting to see if the output will validate as correct epub. You can use this online validator: http://www.threepress.org/document/epub-validate/

I would try it myself, but Buzzwords requires Flash and I won't install that on my PC.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #14
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
It would be interesting to see if the output will validate as correct epub. You can use this online validator: http://www.threepress.org/document/epub-validate/

I would try it myself, but Buzzwords requires Flash and I won't install that on my PC.

It doesn't validate , then again, most of the web doesn't pass the W3C validation.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #15
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Yes, but there is a big difference between random web pages not validating and an epub not validating. This is especially ridiculous, considering that Adobe is a major member of the IDPF that created epub. And I think that web site that I listed uses Adobe validation code on the back end.

HTML has evolved over the years and is very forgiving of bad coding. The epub standard is recent and strictly defined. Non valid epub documents and sloppy rendering on the reader side will only serve to make a mess of epub, just like the web. A standard is no good if no one follows it.

If Buzzwords is going to create non-valid epubs, then they should at least run it through the validator so you can fix things yourself if you are so inclined. At least this way you know what you have, and not assume that you have a good epub when you don't.

Shame on Adobe. Shame, shame.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote