Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Heck I am taking my most used recipes from the Internet and putting them on index cards.
K5 + Aries Kindle Menu gives you KindleNotes + Leafpad to edit them with.
I don't know if Collections Manager could organize them for you, but Librarian Sync can (if you organize them as a directory tree).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #17
Dark-Show
Dark-Show began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Well thanks for all the input, as originally thought it will be a personal device, that would add news feeds and such in an easy to read format directly on your kindle, no cost, just an applet to crawl and format your favourite feeds. When and if that new exploit is released I will experiment with it. If it's not feasible, I may make a kindle browser formatted website to send the book to your kindle email. All books would be for personal use only. Downloaded on the fly with no storage on the server, if I go this route.

Last edited by Dark-Show; 12-19-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Dark-Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Show View Post
Well thanks for all the input, as originally thought it will be a personal device, that would add news feeds and such in an easy to read format directly on your kindle, no cost, just an applet to crawl and format your favourite feeds. When and if that new exploit is released I will experiment with it. If it's not feasible, I may make a kindle browser formatted website to send the book to you kindle email. All books would be for personal use only. Downloaded on the fly with no storage on the server, if I go this route.
This last part confuses me. Will it be you or the user creating the books?
First one could cause problems. Second one might be ok.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #19
Dark-Show

Quote:
This last part confuses me. Will it be you or the user creating the books?
First one could cause problems. Second one might be ok.
The user would click on feeds that the parser can read, or input links to posts/threads that interest the user. And the script would format it on the fly, into a book then send it to the kindle through kindle email. The hardest part would be making a parser for each site.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #20
Dark-Show

See this is an evolving idea, I was just looking for tips on MOBI creation on the kindle, and possibly user interest. Sorry I'm so confusing lots of ideas flowing through my head to bypass different problems.
Advert
Old 12-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now I see what you are trying to do. I am not sure it is feasible. Let me see if I have your idea right.
You want to make a feed that can be read on the kindle.
The user gets to pick what is in the feed.
So if I was interested in human interest stories, this would get the content from various websites and put it in an easy to read format.
How would we find the content to begin with?
Note this one would change every day.

Or let's say I wanted to turn several online recipes into an easy to read format. Would your idea do this?
Old 12-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #22
Dark-Show

Quote:
Or let's say I wanted to turn several online recipes into an easy to read format. Would your idea do this?
Well depending on if the parser is supported (I'd program multiple depending on what people wanted)

You would simply enter the links to each recipe, and click the format & send to kindle button. This would take each link and parse, format. then send it to your kindle as a book. If the website has a most popular page or similar you could also just click something (gotta think of names for this stuff) and it would make a book will all the most popular recipes on the site) I'll make sure for each link, the link to the page, and possibly to the author of the recipe is included.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #23
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
And you seriously think that people would like browsing to some website and input looooong feed links using Kindle's experimental web browser, eInk display and laggy on-screen keyboard? Rather than using a PC?

Also how is any of this "on-device scrapping"?
shamanNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

What do you mean by parse and would I have to click the link in said book?
Old 12-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #25
Dark-Show

Quote:
What do you mean by parse and would I have to click the link in said book?
No it is just there as a reference to where the data came from, the whole page would be stored in the book.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #26
Dark-Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
And you seriously think that people would like browsing to some website and input looooong feed links using Kindle's experimental web browser, eInk display and laggy on-screen keyboard? Rather than using a PC?

Also how is any of this "on-device scrapping"?
Well there are other way of going about it then links as well. But ill save those ideas for the site. And if you read this thread the website will only be created if its not feasible to do it on the device.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There is no need for people to come here poo-pooing the mere idea that someone would want to do this.

@Dark-Show,
I would seriously think about utilizing calibre's conversion, and possibly, recipes, infrastructure.
Again, there isn't a lot of open-source -->AZW3 conversion code around, and calibre is most of that, so why not reuse it? Otherwise, it should serve as documentation for re-implementing your own conversion code.
Also see our Wiki: MOBI or KindleUnpack
calibre's News recipes are pretty popular with some people -- I don't know how many would rather use your hack vs. calibre, but there is probably some call for on-device usage.

calibre's recipes are also an easy way to get well-written support for many websites out-of-the-box. You could fallback on some sort of generic screen-scraping for anything else.

It's not reasonable to ask people to install third-party ARM builds of all of calibre but some kind of stripped-down lightweight alternative would definitely be interesting.

calibre is all GPLv3.

@shamanNS,
Two words. "configuration file"
Thank you for your concern.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-19-2015 at 10:00 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, mobi conversion, news, scraper