Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #1
bphil00
bphil00 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Smile ePub adjustments for Mobi/KF8 conversion

Hi,
I work on print books within inDesign. I'm now taking on the task of creating ebooks. I'm going from InDesign > ePub, then using Kindle Previewer to convert to Mobi/KF8.

It's my understanding that there are some common adjustments that should be made to the ePub before running thru Kindle Previewer. I have not had a lot of luck discovering what these adjustments might be, however.

Do any of you have a list of changes that you always make before converting to Kindle?

If it's actually a really long list of changes that need to be made, and you don't have time to list them all, can you list at least a few of the most important ones?
bphil00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:06 AM   #2
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
The closest I can come is a list of known issues/bugs/quirks (or two):

1. Start here and read down to where it starts talking about DRM.

2. Start here and read the remainder of that article.

This can involve a pretty long list of changes, depending on your starting point.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bphil00 View Post
Do any of you have a list of changes that you always make before converting to Kindle?
Well, I work in the other direction, Amazon being my primary sales outlet. I build my epub first without an included cover and sometimes with links to the Amazon store. I then save that with a different title (bookKDP.epub becomes bookD2D.epub) and add the cover and if necessary alter any Amazon links.

At least with one book, published in 2012, I wound up with two covers, which is why I no longer include one in the Amazon edition. And the links of course are anathema to Amazon's rivals.

Apart from that, I make no changes. I upload the epub to the KDP, download the converted "mobi" file, and preview it on the (downloaded) Kindle Previewer. That has two advantages. One, KDP has a fine little spell checker, and I do occasionally find the odd typo. And two, I look upon all this as akin to Macbeth's three witches with their cauldron: I don't trust Amazon not to make changes in the conversion process, so that's what I want to preview.

Of course I don't use InDesign! I understand it creates its own particular brand of weird html/css.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:51 AM   #4
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
At least with one book, published in 2012, I wound up with two covers, which is why I no longer include one in the Amazon edition. And the links of course are anathema to Amazon's rivals.
Apple in particular.

Another approach is to start with a standard format like DocBook XML and build XSL files or translation tools to convert to EPUB in different ways, depending on whether you're building a MOBI file or releasing the EPUB. Of course, that requires a fair amount of programming skill and a lot of patience, but the result is highly consistent output for every book. They'll always be in sync if you change the original source content, and if you need to make a change to your markup to work around a bug in one particular reader, you can make the change in the script, and that change will be applied to the entire book without any risk of missing a spot.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:40 AM   #5
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
I just found out the hard way that SVG graphics don't convert to Kindle.

At least, the pages that used them did not appear whether I converted using Calibre or Kindle Preview.

I had habitually used the code Sigil makes for covers to do this; the covers work because Kindle actually ignores the cover HTML and just gets the image to use for its cover.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2015, 04:17 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
I just found out the hard way that SVG graphics don't convert to Kindle.
KindleGen doesn't support the SVG wrapper code used by Calibre and Sigil, however, if you mark the cover image in Sigil via Add Semantics > Cover Image, it'll be used by KindleGen (and Calibre).

Actual SVG image files are supported in AZW3 files. For an example, see the attached files.
More information about supported SVG tags and elements can be found in the Kindle Publishing Guidelines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle SVG image test.png
Views:	323
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	136993  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Kindle SVG image test.epub (3.1 KB, 219 views)
File Type: azw3 Kindle SVG image test.azw3 (16.4 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by Doitsu; 04-09-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:13 AM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
KindleGen doesn't support the SVG wrapper code used by Calibre and Sigil, however, if you mark the cover image in Sigil via Add Semantics > Cover Image, it'll be used by KindleGen (and Calibre).
So you include a cover in your uploaded Kindle books? I stopped doing this after I found (on at least two occasions) that doing so caused me to have TWO covers in the published book.

(I upload the epub to the KDP and let it convert there. I haven't tried feeding it to KindleGen or Kindle Previewer.)
Old 04-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
So you include a cover in your uploaded Kindle books?
ٍNo. I upload the cover to KDP separately, because that's apparently what KDP wants. For the PD books that I uploaded to Mobileread, I created a regular epub cover page with an SVG wrapper and compiled it with KindleGen. (Kindlegen will strip the HTML but keep the image, if it has been properly defined in the metadata section of the .opf file.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:01 AM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Ah, got it! Thanks. I'd never thought of uploading a Kindle version anywhere other than Amazon.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
ٍNo. I upload the cover to KDP separately, because that's apparently what KDP wants. For the PD books that I uploaded to Mobileread, I created a regular epub cover page with an SVG wrapper and compiled it with KindleGen. (Kindlegen will strip the HTML but keep the image, if it has been properly defined in the metadata section of the .opf file.)
All of our clients get their Mobis with covers. We haven't had an issue in years. The uploaded cover supplants the already-embedded cover in the pre-built mobi file without problems.

FWIW. Obviously, our clients prefer their books that way, as they are giving away review copies, gift copies, etc., and if the book were made sans cover, it wouldn't appear nearly as nicely on the various carousels, etc. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:34 AM   #11
Notjohn
mostly an observer

It's with epubs that the included cover is problematical. I think it was you who first pointed this out to me. And I once or twice did indeed wind up with a double cover when the epub was converted on the KDP.

As you say, this will never happen with a mobi or html file. Indeed, I once had a very handsome frontispiece suppressed in the KDP conversion because the software naturally assumed that, being first in the file, it was a cover. I then learned to put the "frontispiece" AFTER the title page. (Quasi-frontispiece!)
Old 04-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
It's with epubs that the included cover is problematical. I think it was you who first pointed this out to me. And I once or twice did indeed wind up with a double cover when the epub was converted on the KDP.

As you say, this will never happen with a mobi or html file. Indeed, I once had a very handsome frontispiece suppressed in the KDP conversion because the software naturally assumed that, being first in the file, it was a cover. I then learned to put the "frontispiece" AFTER the title page. (Quasi-frontispiece!)
There was indeed a time when this happened, but if the ePUB is properly coded, it's stopped occurring for the last few years, AFAIK. It does, BTW, also happen with improperly-made MOBIs, still.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:19 AM   #13
Notjohn
mostly an observer

My last occasion for getting a double cover was February 2013. I'll try it again. It's only the work of a few minutes to add the cover -- Sigil is so great! -- but using the one epub for both purposes would make life easier.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2015, 12:15 AM   #14
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
I don't believe I've ever had a double cover and I've been making ebooks since 2011. But if you're using Sigil to edit your epub for uploading to Kindlegen/KindlePreviewer, it is important to get the Guide items correct (Add Semantics - cover image, title page, TOC, text). And I use a frontispiece often or an image as a title page... never had a problem. Just be sure you Add Semantics - Title Page for that with Sigil.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #15
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
Sigil epub to KindlePreviewer mobi conversion

I've never gotten a double cover uploading an epub into KindlePreviewer for mobi conversion, but I have stumbled on another issue recently.

CSS errors, particularly those for Center and Flush. The following is a sample of the CSS entry of my normal paragraph style:

.msonormal {
display: block;
font-size: 1em;
text-indent: 0.25in;
margin: 0 0 0.0001pt

Then the styles that have gone off during conversion:

.center {
text-align: center;

.flush {
text-indent: 0;

plus other styles in the Center and Flush categories with a margin of 0 0 0.0001pt (except for the MsoNormal style)

These styles have a slightly wider bottom margin, perhaps about 1/10th wider than a normal paragraph (single space) I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have a book published in March of 2014 and updated in June of that year... The same styles used but no problems with spacing. The 2nd book was published in October of 2014 and updated in December 2014. The problems are there. And the new book published in June 2015 also has the spacing problems, so something happened between June of 2014 and December of 2014 that I wasn't aware of.

Help!!!
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, kf8/mobi, mobi conversion, mobi format