Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #61
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
At the moment I have 8100 eBooks and these work well.
I'm having jealousy tingles!
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #62
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
I have Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox and an I pad and I read on all of them all the time. I find batteries don't stay charged very long so go from one to the other and love them all.
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #63
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I use my iPad mainly for things other than reading, though I do read Kindle books on it, and I like cookbooks on it because they're so visual. I am planning to get a b/w Kindle though so I can read Kindle books on it instead of the iPad.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #64
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I started with a Kindle Touch, but became very curious about other readers and couldn't resist bargains on Kindle 4 ($49) and Sony T1 ($38). I recently bought a Nook Glow Light but had to return it for severe ghosting, failure to hold a charge, and fragmented text. The replacement is working perfectly and quickly became my favorite eReader, but I am concerned that it may be fragile. It is wonderful to read at night and in low light plus it is the most comfortable reader.

The Sony is best for sunny days and I love that I can borrow books from my local library without using my computer. The Kindles are work horses: I dropped the Touch to the floor a couple of times (arthritis) and it keeps working perfectly. The Touch also holds my audio books. I trade them off when it's time to recharge and like how easy it is to sync them.

Books more difficult because of archaic language are most easily understood and enjoyed while listening on the Kindle Touch while reading along on the comfortable Nook.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #65
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Sony 350: mostly for reading work related books and articles: Linguistics, education books, etc.... or If for some reason I get a book that will not convert from PDF format. Sony has the best PDF reflow that I have come across.

Opus: fiction, classics, some history.... best epub formatting of the three current readers I have.

PB360+: history, fiction, philosophy, poetry, non-fiction, running books, etc... these are the main categories that I have on it. Have cool reader and FB reader on my 360...like both for different reasons.

Use all my readers most weeks. always have a few books going on each of them. Love flipping between books... one of the bad habits in the age of the Internet.... too many webpages and flipping every 2 minutes between sites... I could read a book for 5 hours straight back in the day... now...90 minutes is about my max at one go...

And for those out there without a second device: get one you won't regret it and it will help keep the ereader revolution in motion. I have sold or given a way my three previous readers: Sony 505, Cybook, and Astak Pocket Pro.

I de-drm books that I bought on Amazon and convert them with Calibre and then slap them one of my ereaders by sideloading them. For me not a problem as I have a Cybercrane to help lift those heavy books that don't want to fit in the wire....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2012, 01:50 AM   #66
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Outside the Sonys are all those eReaders available in Japan?
Or have you imported them on your own.
I never saw anything except the Sony series in electronic shops.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:21 AM   #67
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
The Sony are available in Japan..but when I go back to the Great Satan for holidays I picked one up. There are a few other readers out there but you have to buy it with a plan with the local telephone provider like AU or docomo.... So..mostly imported them... and I tend to be picky...i.e. still have never seen a great Kindle...good ones but not great.... still wish 5 inch readers were more popular....c'est la vie... shoganai...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #68
iReaderReview
Banned
iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.

Device: kindle 2
Different eReaders for different purposes

Kindle 3: My favorite because it was really good when it first came out and like having the keyboard. Use that when reading during the day.

Nook Tablet: Favorite Tablet for reading. Light and easy to hold.

iPhone: For reading in bed. It's iPhone or paper books in bed.

iPad: Gifted it to a friend because found it too awkward and had devices which did everything it did, except better.

Nexus 7: Great for games. Waste of time because too many free games and games run very well on it and keep getting distracted from reading. Put it in the closet.

Kindle Touch: Lack of keyboard really bothers me.

Nook Simple Touch: Like it more than Kindle Touch. However, not as comfortable with it as with Kindle 3 so stick with Kindle 3.

Sony Reader: REally liked the scribbling and drawing feature - despite the terrible UI.

My vote would be:

Best eReader: Kindle 3 (now known as Kindle Keyboard) or Lighted Nook Touch.

Best Reading Tablet: Nook Tablet. Kindle Fire if you're a Prime customer.

Best Tablet: Nexus 7.

Best Phone for reading: Haven't tried Android phones so can't say.
iReaderReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #69
Kappafun
Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600, Kobo Vox
I have a Sony PRS, Kobo VOX and now a new Nexus 7. With each device I have just migrated all of my books to the new device and only returned to my former device when the battery was dead on the newer device or if there was some technical difficulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
For those of us who have multiple readers of different brands, when do you chose to read on one brand of reader and when do you read on the other brand? Why have you chosen to buy multiple readers of different brands? This is for people with different brands of readers such as one kindle and one nook or one kobo and one ipad.

I used to have two different brands of readers one is my Kindle three and the other was my employer's Blackberry. I used to read on the blackberry in instances when space was going to be a premium and the kindle when there was more room. However, since then my employer has upgraded my blackberry and amazon no longer supports the newer models of berries so now I have only one. Although I do have the Mobipocket reader working on the berry so I might do that.
Kappafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #70
Flip Martian
Connoisseur
Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.

Device: Sony PRS 350, iPad, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a 650 & an iPad. I read mostly on the 650.
Hadn't really thought about it but I have an iPad and a Sony (T1). Always read on the T1. With a day working on vdu at work, e-ink is far more relaxing on these old eyes of mine. Have thought a bigger e-reader would be nice but until it comes along, I'll stick with the Sony.
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #71
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have an IPad2 and a Sony PRST1. I like to read on both devices very much. Ofcourse the Sony is used outside and the iPad inside.

Last edited by Joy736; 08-05-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #72
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
I have a Sony PRS 600 and IPad 3. I carry the IPad with me most of the time so if I have some time during the day I use the Kobo app to read ebooks..not my favorite app for functions. The IPad makes for a pretty heavy, unwieldy reading experience and huge battery consumption.

At home my preference is my Sony for the functionality, long battery life and the size. I plan to buy the new PRS TR2 when it arrives.
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #73
Kappafun
Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600, Kobo Vox
I have a Nexus 7, Sony PRS-600 and Kobo Vox, my wife has an iPad.

I've moved totally to the Nexus 7, but use the Kobo app. The Sony and Kobo Vox both have too short battery life. Because the Sony is a dedicated reader, the interface and execution as a reader is the best. If I were looking for a dedicated reader, I would have purchased the newest Sony reader. I was looking for a single device that I could use as a reader and tablet. The Nexus' performance is greast, the Kobo App is wonderful too.
Kappafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #74
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
I have an Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, a Kobo Wifi, and a Kobo Vox. The Vox is for American comics and podcasts, I just can't get attached to the Wifi, but I love my Pocket Pro (old battery and all) It's small enough to fit in my pocket, and it has a nice folder structure.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #75
SuburbanSteve
Enthusiast
SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.

Device: Kindel Touch, Xoom 2
At night or if the lights not to good I use the Xoom2 night setting as it's back lit but it gets heavy, usually it's the kindle touch if the lights good enough, tried using my phone but it's so small it's not worth the trouble.
SuburbanSteve is offline   Reply With Quote