Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
At home, in my couxh I read on my Sony 950.
Away from home I use either a Nook STR or a Sony 350. I think they are more portable.
Although different brands, the Nook and Sonys use the same format. I would not want to keep a library of multiple format books.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
The Kindle and Kindle apps is for the Amazon eco-system. Almost everything in English language is read on those.

My Sony Readers are for ePubs, hence almost everything that isn't English language material. So reading material in Swedish, German, French, Japanese and Danish is almost exclusively read on the Sonys.

This way I feel fairly certain I can get my grubby little hands on anything I want to read if it is available in electronic forma.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #18
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I read purchased books on my Sony (my chosen reader). I use my Kindle (gift from hubby) exclusively for Amazon freebies.

I don't read on my iPad, unless I'm away from my stand-alone ebook readers and I read on my phone if nothing else is available or convenient.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I use my iPod Touch and/or my Android phone if I'm out without an eReader. Right now I'm using my Nook Glowlight the most out of all my various eInk devices because I really like the blue-ish white screen when the light is on. Without the light-up screen, though, I prefer the weight and thinness of the Sony T1.

Before the Nook Glow came out I used the Toshiba Thrive 7 to read in bed and the T1 to read in well-lit places.

Last edited by NNolan; 07-29-2012 at 10:10 AM.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I use the Sony T1 (Rooted, Kindled, with Coolreader as my primary app) for reading at home. When I go out and expect to wait for a while, I slip the PB360 into a pocket.

The Kindle Touch I gave to my mother to replace her fading (literally) K2.

I haven't touched the PB701 since I got the Sony; I don't miss the color or the weight.

Generally I get a new reader when I see a compelling feature at a reasonable price. Which isn't often; every other year or so. Right now I doubt I'll be too interested in the T2 or K6. But if something catches my eye, I can always flip the T1 to a relative...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I am one of those one book at a time readers. So I am rather curious if those who read on multiple devices read the same book and just pick up where they are on a new device or read different books at the same time on different devices.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I am one of those one book at a time readers. So I am rather curious if those who read on multiple devices read the same book and just pick up where they are on a new device or read different books at the same time on different devices.
I usually read the same book on both devices. I do however also keep a couple of short stories and similar on all devices, not necessarily the same ones, to pick up when I need a quick read.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #23
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post

applesauce
I use Aldiko Premium with Aldiko Sync on my Android devices (Galaxy Tab - Kobo Vox - Galaxy Ace phone) to sync to the same position and keep the library in sync. I have to do it manually on my Sony T1 and the iPod Touch. I don't start a second book until I've finished the one I'm currently reading...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #24
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I've been collecting different readers on and off for a couple of years now, just to play with them and try them out. I have a couple of Sony PRS-T1's, a prs-350, and two Nook Touches and a Kindle Touch.

(Between sales, trades and giving mine away to my parents and then replacing them with something else, I've had quite a few this last year.)

Although they advertise use of up to 32Gig off the microSD cards, I've limited the Sony's to 2Gig cards. Too slow and too many hang-ups even when I switched brands. The Nooks seem to be okay with the file system I'm using now, but still get too slow when searching so don't put my whole library on them.

I've ended up putting fanfic on machine, Mysteries on another, Scifi/Fant on another, and one that goes in my purse with a mixture. I tend to read fanfic between regular books, and in between books in a series. Then which one I pick up depends on what genre I have on each, and what I'm going to read next.

And I didn't intend to have two Nook Touches, but hated the Kobo Touch (and didn't want to have to walk a relative through using it) so traded it in at a local used book store. The Kobo and two bags of books got me a new Nook Touch in an unopened box, so figured that was better than keeping the Kobo and never using it.

I don't think I'll be buying new ones next year, but did learn a lot about what I do and don't like about them this year. And if push came to shove and I could only keep one, That'd be one of the Sony's, no question.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #25
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I use my Libre Color to read at home because it is backlit and I can read in dim light, and I like the size of the screen. I use my jetBook Lite away from home because it is less heavy and I can attach a handstrap, so I don't worry about dropping it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
Although they advertise use of up to 32Gig off the microSD cards, I've limited the Sony's to 2Gig cards. Too slow and too many hang-ups even when I switched brands. The Nooks seem to be okay with the file system I'm using now, but still get too slow when searching so don't put my whole library on them.
I have no problem with the 16 GB card in my T1. All my books (over 5000) are on the card itself, as opposed to the Sony's memory. I don't take the card out and switch it. My T1 is rooted and I use Coolreader. Searching is lightning fast even with that many books on it.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I use my Libre Color to read at home because it is backlit and I can read in dim light, and I like the size of the screen. I use my jetBook Lite away from home because it is less heavy and I can attach a handstrap, so I don't worry about dropping it.
I'm glad you mentioned the Libre Color. I just bought one for an excellent price for my daughter. She is going to love it!
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #28
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I use my PB902 as my primary reading device. A little heavier then I'd like but I've grown attached to the larger display.

I use my PB360+ when I'm out (motorcycle, vacations)

I use my iPhone4 to manually track my place in the book and I'll use it to read on the rare occasions that I don't have an e-ink device with me.

I use my iPad3 for reading magazines but not for books. I tried to read on it for a month but I prefer e-ink.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #29
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I have no problem with the 16 GB card in my T1. All my books (over 5000) are on the card itself, as opposed to the Sony's memory. I don't take the card out and switch it. My T1 is rooted and I use Coolreader. Searching is lightning fast even with that many books on it.
I tried rooting one, (which is why it was really nice to have an extra machine in case I screwed up!) but found I didn't like it overall that way.

But 5,000 isn't the problem. I found when you get up to about 12,000 it starts to balk. Heaven help you if you turn it off, because it'll then try to re-index them all.

For me, 5,000 is a smallish number, I have one fandom that is active and already has more titles than that. And I've saved several fandoms, not to mention my main book collection.

So the small SD card helps to have a base limit of what I store, and I have to be pretty picky on what I carry around on the eink machines.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #30
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
I use my Kobo WiFi and a zip lock freezer bag for reading in the bathtub. My WiFi also has copies of all my epub and Kepub books.

I use my Kobo Touch for most of my daytime reading.

I use my Kobo Vox for reading in bed and other low light situations; I also use it for reading free Kindle books.

I read the same epub book on all three Kobos. If I forget my book at work I always have a copy at home.

I use my android phone when I want to carry as little as possible.

My husband uses the Sony PRS-T1.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote