Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Multiple readers

I would like to hear from some of us that have multiple readers from different providers such as someone that has a Kindle and a Nook or a Nook and a Kobo. I would like to ask those members to compare their readers.

I have two readers myself, a Kindle and a Blackberry Storm readers and I must say that the Berry is much better for instances where space is going to be an issue since my berry will be along no matter if I have my Kindle or not. However the small size of the screen is an issue and is one of the trade offs that I make in exchange for needing less space.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have a Nook Classic, Kindle3 & 2 Sony 350s (what can I say I went wild when they went on sale )

My preferred reading device is my Sony 350 because of the size & touch screen. Only a couple of things I don't like about it and that is the font size menu & not being able to customize my fonts....Well I could with PRS+ The Sony goes everywhere with me because it fits so well into my purse (I have it case).

After the Sony I use the Kindle3 because I can get some books there I can't find elsewhere. But I don't like the key board & page turns on it. I find I hit too many buttons accidentally. And after using the Sony 350 I don't care for the size of the device. (my own opinion here )

I like the screen of the Nook Classic & find it easy to read on, but the touch page turn is quirky at times & the weight after awhile feels heavy to me.

So there are my brief opinions. Will I look at any new devices coming out? For sure. If Kindle comes out with a touch screen I may look into one. I'm also curious about what Sony will be bringing out.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Ok, I have a K3, Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge and a iPad.

iPad, I don't like reading on it at all. That might change when the rumoured Retina displays come out supposely on the next model. For now, the text isn't sharp enough for me and it is big for reading a single book. However, I like the size for colored magazines and such.

Kindle 3, best Eink screen of my eink devices. Better contrast, great book store. The kindle 3 has one feature that will insure I never part with it unless a new kindle has the same feature and that is indexing. I like that I can search for phrases in not just one book, but every book on my device at the same time. All my others only search for the book that is open.. for me that was a big deal.

Enourage Pocket Edge. Eink screen isn't as good as the K3 but it can do so much more, like attach webpages from the tablet side, to the eink side, in the book I'm reading. Of course there is Annotate PDF on the tablet side and Epub on the eink side. It took a bit for it to grow on me and its a shame the company went under.

Nook Color. As big as I am on eink, I tend to go to the Nook Color first. The size of it makes it a good surfing in bed at night tablet. I don't have to fuss with the light on my kindle 3 so I tend to read in the dark on the Nook Color but in the daytime I use K3 or PE, depending on which I have near. iPad, my least favorite for reading but my favorite for making notes and annotations as far as form factor size goes. 7'' for me is just to small and I find myself wishing for iPad size and real estate(yes I know there is a full size EE but the company is gone under.) on the PE for annotating books.

Last edited by Synergi; 07-28-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I have or have had a Palm Tungsten, Astak PocketPro, PocketBook 360, Sony 350, Sony 650, and now an Asus tablet. (It's a sickness.)

The Palm was all that was available at the time and it fit in my pocket. At the time, it was great to have a book with me, even if I could only read it for a few hours. A coworker loaned me his Sony 505 and introduced me to the magic of epaper.

The Astak PocketPro was my first dedicated reader. It had some of the best ergonomics I've seen in a reader, with lots of options for page turns. I found that I missed the Sony organization, especially as I improved the metadata with Calibre. Alas, an unfortunate blow to the screen cracked the ink layer and made it unreadable. I still miss it for its ease of use.

The PocketBook 360 replaced the Astak, mostly because the snap on front cover makes it bomb proof. I really wish that other manufacturers would provide something that works as well to protect the screen. I liked that the accelerometer could be used to turn pages, especially since I found the buttons to be stiff and difficult to push. I disliked that the accelerometer could be used to turn pages, because putting the book down for a moment to speak with someone or answer the phone caused the page to turn.

I bought the Sony 650 last fall when Borders had a promotion that included a free lighted cover. It's just about everything that I could want in a reader. If it were possible to search collection on two different variables at the same time (such as historical fiction and thriller), it would be perfect. I really like the lighted cover in low light situations, even better than an LCD screen.

The Sony 350 was on sale for a great price and has just about replaced the PB. The text is so much crisper, the firmware so much faster, and the reading experience so much better, it's hard to go back. Text on the PB looks faded compared to the Sonys. I'm still searching for a case that would protect the screen without adding to the bulk and weight.

I don't consider tablets to be ereaders. I've tried a few times with mine and it's too heavy, large, and bright to be read easily. It's great for its intended purpose of lightweight laptop substitute, but will never replace any of my readers. My phone is too small and bright for easy reading. I don't even try putting books on it.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Cybook Gen3, PocketBook 302, Sony PRS-350

The Gen3 was my first ereader (meanwhile it died) and I liked it all the time. Although quite outdated, it just gave me a great reading experience (and the mobi-firmware provided dictionary-lookup which is vital for me).

The PB302 is discontinued, for a reason! The horrible performance PB showed with this reader made me disregard them, when a new device was necessary, after my Gen3 had died. The new line seems to be ok, but they lost me as a customer for good.

The PRS-350 is a very good reader, after installing the extended PRS+ firmware it's just perfect for my needs. I especially like the form factor, the crisp screen (I never was bothered by the Gen3 screen, though), the absolute ease when looking up a word, having the choice of turning pages with a swipe OR with a hardware button, collections-organization and highlighting & annotations (although I rarely use these).

Only after I had got the PB302 I realized, that weight is quite a crucial factor to me. The Gen3 weighs 174 grams, while he PB302 is 280 grams, which makes it unconfortable, when reading single-handed in bed.
When I started to look for a new reader anything heavier than 200gr was out of the question. I was very interested in the Kobo touch, but it is not yet available in my country. So I was sort of forced to get the Sony, but I really like it now.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert