Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-25-2022, 06:02 PM   #1
Andygara2306
Andygara2306 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Audio and Video Files on mobile device

Good morning everyone
I have recently become acquainted with Sigil and I have a problem: I would like to view my epub file, which contains audio and video files, on a mobile device, but from mobile I do not see them and you cannot play them, while from Sigil and from PageEdit work properly. What can I do?
Thank you
Andygara2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:56 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Try a true epub3 reader on your mobile. Thorium (by the folks at Readium) is a good one for your Desktop, so I would try Readium Mobile.

https://www.edrlab.org/software/readium-mobile/

They have versions for Android and iOS and are based on much of the same codebase as Thorium Reader.

Many other epub Readers are based on Readium and a full list can be found here:

http://readium.org/awesome-readium/

So download some of those and try them until you get one that works.

On iOS you could try the Books (iBooks) app as well.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-25-2022 at 06:59 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:00 PM   #3
Andygara2306

I've tried your tip: the video goes well, but the audio isn't still working...
This is the code of my epub file:
"
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
<title>Prova Ebook su Sigil e Calibre</title>
</head>

<body>
<p> Audio: <audio controls="">
<source src="../Audio/country7.mp3" type="audio/mp3"/>
</audio>
</p>
<br/>
<p>
Video locale in WEBM: <video width="320" height="240" controls="">
<source src="../Video/prova_video.webm" type="video/webm"/>
</video>
</p>
</body>
</html>
"
What can I do?
Thanks
Old 03-27-2022, 01:29 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If video works then audio should work as well. Validate your audio file in Sigil works correctly.

Also, autoplay may be disabled by the reader or the device.

So try by properly enabling controls:

In xhtml format it should be written controls="controls" to enable a Boolean attribute. This is true for both audio and video tags.

xhtml and html differ significantly for boolean attributes.

Also, try a audio file format that has a free codec as mp3 audio may not be supported on some devices due to codec licensing concerns.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-27-2022 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 03:10 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygara2306 View Post
What can I do?
Download the old IDPF audio/video test file, change the extension from .epub.zip to .epub and test it with your epub app.
If the audio clips work, there are problems with your epub, if they don't, your epub app doesn't support audio clips.

FYI: Sigil played the audio and video clips without problems, but the Windows Thorium desktop app only played the videos.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 03:14 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Because Thorium is Chromium based and does not support mp3 and mp4 out of the box because they use proprietary codecs. We enable building Qt with the proprietary codecs support but it requires our own Qt builds. So if you are using a system Qt on Linux it may not play mp3 and mp4.

Correction:

Actually Thorium does support the proprietary codecs. They had a bug:

https://github.com/edrlab/thorium-reader/issues/1612

That was fixed 10 days ago in a recent continous test build that can be grabbed from the Thorium github site.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-27-2022 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 03:15 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

You could try converting the mp3 audio to ogg audio or some other free codec based audio format but given the above bug, that may not help.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-27-2022 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:36 PM   #8
Andygara2306

Good morning
As you can see in the image, opening my epub file with the "R2 READER" application the video works correctly but the audio is not detected (I have tried various formats such as ogg, mp3, flac etc. but none of them work). Even with the test file you provided me the audio does not work. What can I do? The epub file, once ready, should be uploaded to the KOBO platform and made readable by both PC and mobile.
What do you recommend?
Thank you

Image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12F-...ew?usp=sharing
Old 03-27-2022, 04:44 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Not much you can do until the Readium/Thorium project bug fix gets picked up by the various projects that use it as the basis for their reader software.

Your code is correct, it is just a limitation of the current versions of their Reader software. I would guess Books (iBooks) will work in iOS but I am not sure what would work on Android. If Kobo has a reader for Android, have you tried that?

FWIW - just tried Books on iOS and it works just fine with audio and video.

And the BlueFire Reader on iOS works just fine with it as well.

And even the Kobo app on iOS will play it correctly but you must use two fingers at the same time to tap the play button and not turn the page instead.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-27-2022 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:57 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For Kobo you might want to check https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spe...media-overlays

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, mobile, pageedit, sigil, video