Notices

Old 05-01-2021, 04:35 AM   #1
Skydancer
Enthusiast
Skydancer began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBoot Inkpad 3
Preview sometimes freezes

Hi,
I've been using Sigil 1.5.1 for a while, and I've noticed that when I work on an epub file for some time the Preview dock would sometimes freeze, and the only way (that I know of) to fix it is to restart Sigil. It happens with all epub files.

I've noticed this issue in both, the distro package and in my own compiled version.

Info:
- Sigil version: 1.5.1
- Qt: 5.15.2
Skydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
This could be a Qt 5.15.2 issue as I have never seen that happen for normal sized multi-file epubs. QtWebEngine uses its own render process that can die or be killed. On some platforms this can happen so much people actually track the render process dying and auto-restart it. But that has never been an issue for Sigil using Qt 5.12.

Things can also get out of sync and a signal lost and then Sigil appears to freeze waiting for that loadFinished signal. But simply closing that tab and reopening it frees Preview.

If the remainder of Sigil continues to work at normal speed it sounds as if the render process is getting killed somehow. We would need a list concrete steps you use to cause the freeze in order to track this down, We’re you just doing simple edits in CV or something else?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Can't say as I've experienced any such freezes on my main Arch development machine (which has the same Qt 5.15.2). But I 'm not usually doing any marathon editing sessions. How long a session are you talking about?

When you say freeze, do you mean the Preview widget is locked up and unscrollable? Can't click on links? A busy cursor? Or that it just isn't syncing up with Code View any more.

Are the files being worked on when it freezes of considerable size? Is Preview docked or undocked? On the same monitor as Sigil or on a different one?

Arch has been on Qt5.15.x for some time now. Did you notice the issue with Sigil 1.4.x?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:09 PM   #4
Skydancer
Enthusiast

@KevinH, @DiapDealer: thank you for your replies.

Everything else in Sigil works fine, just the Preview dock stops refreshing after a while. I can still scroll, select and copy text from it, but it stops synching with the Code View. Preview dock is docked (default position), same monitor.

The epub files are not abnormally big – just an average-size fiction book epubs with a few pictures. It's hard to reproduce the steps, because it seems to happen at random times. During my work I often change the focus of different windows (Sigil, file manager, image viewer, Writer, Firefox) – maybe that triggers this issue. I do work a lot in Code view so the Preview dock has to resync often.

Sigil 1.4 worked fine, no issues.

P.S. I'll test this on another Manjaro Linux computer I own. Will let you know about the results.

Last edited by Skydancer; 05-01-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:39 AM   #5
Skydancer
Enthusiast

Update:
OK, so I've tested Sigil 1.5.1 on my girlfriend's Manjaro laptop and it seems to work fine, so the cause of this issue is most likely my PC. I often install/remove/compile packages, so perhaps I've screwed up something. :-)
Old 05-13-2021, 01:54 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks for reporting back. It could be video card (or driver)-related.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freeze, linux, preview, sigil