Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymedawg View Post
A lot of really helpful and thoughtful comments and very much appreciated.

Will consider it all—especially the footnote decision tree.

The way I used footnotes, they are not references, they are in effect, parenthetical info that could very well be made a part of the book and I will need to think on whether or not that is the best route.

I like the single page footnote approach that Calibre renders as it aids the reader in focusing on the one footnote I want them to focus on when they click a footnote number and two, it makes abundantly clear how to "go back."

But, I don't want to get banned! So, maybe need to change that.
Why not just use popup footnotes? That achieves exactly the same thing that you want, sans the risk of banning and pissing off readers.

Quote:
As to Kindle Create, I have found it to be a buggy mess (which is why I ended up using Calibre).
You won't find any argument here, and it's unlikely you'll find the argument on MR at all. It's the dog's breakfast, no kidding. Fugly mess. If you already know how to use styles and headings, there's no reason to use KCR.

Quote:
I have lots of hyperlinks in my book (to videos and resources on web) and though I "preserved" links in KC, many of them never did work despite numerous interchanges with Kindle Support.
That's odd. Are you thinking that they don't work, because they didn't work in KP 3.xx? Or did you test this on some other device? KP3.xx has a glitch with links, in this last two versions; anything made with KTC and possibly KC are not working very well, link-wise. I do feel obligated to point out, however, that please do bear in mind that fully half of all dedicated ereaders, and this also applies to Kindles, do NOT have built-in browsers, or have Beta browsers that are, at best, crappy. Especially when you talk about videos--I can't even imagine trying to watch a video on a Voyage, for example! (FWIW, I find that Mac users or people that are very not-techie tend to really forget that the entire world isn't operating on iPhones or iPads--but they're not.)

Quote:
Support were able to duplicate my problems on their end and kicked it up to their software engineers to resolve. Still have not heard back.
Was there a specific type of link that didn't work?

Quote:
BTW, I'm running a Mac Mini on the latest Mac OS (10.14.1).

Again my thanks.

For any that want to see the finished product, its available for free right now in a one-week promotional free giveaway. The version you will see still has some formatting problems (mostly involving tables) that I have since fixed, but I am waiting for the promotion to be over before I upload another "cleaned up" version to KDP.
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #17
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
>Converting to MOBI-new produces a file that lacks a MOBI7 component

>If you convert to MOBI-old you get only MOBI7 out,

Thank you! I confess I never noticed the -old and -new options. Perhaps -new is the default? I only use Calibre for making mobis out of the epubs the university library throws at me, so I would never have noticed the lack of Mobi 7 output.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kdp, kindle upload, mobi conversion